Why Vegas won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Im trying to recall if this was the game where Sheif tied it at 1 and the Helle bobbled the puck leading to a goal 30 seconds later.

Hindsights 20/20 but that seemed like a bad break that got into their heads and a turning point in the series.

That's the one, although it was Laine scoring & Helle bobbling a minute later.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ok the real real reason
I took a photo with Laine on Mother’s Day the day after our only win against Vegas
I apologize for the bad Karma
May I still post here?
They didn’t win after that day

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Ok the real real reason
I took a photo with Laine on Mother’s Day the day after our only win against Vegas
I apologize for the bad Karma
May I still post here?
They didn’t win after that day
i-will-find-you-and-i-will-drink-beer-with-31148996.png

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

WRONG!

Frank Seravalli
OUT-GOALTENDED: A confident, if not cocky, Connor Hellebuyck said after Game 4 that the “stars have aligned” for the Vegas Golden Knights “but it’s not going to stay that way.” There is little evidence to support Hellebuyck’s claim. He has been significantly outplayed by counterpart Marc-Andre Fleury.
“They’re one-goal games, so that feels like the difference,” Maurice said of the goaltending.
Through four games, Fleury owns a .930 save percentage, while Hellebuyck is hovering at .897. It hasn’t just been the goals that he’s given up, but also the timing of them. The 137 combined seconds between four response goals from Vegas have been the difference in the series. Hellebuyck was directly responsible for two of those backbreakers when he bobbled the puck behind the net.
“I feel like Winnipeg is a team that feeds off the momentum when they get a goal,” Fleury said Friday. "But we’ve been great at getting one right back.”
When the Jets desperately needed a stop, when Reilly Smith was on a breakaway, Hellebuyck was beaten short-side.
“I’ve liked [my game] all series long,” Hellebuyck said. “Obviously it’s got to be a little bit better because we’ve got to win, that’s the bottom line.”

CBC Sports:
Marc-Andre Fleury
Come on, did you expect us to start anywhere else? Fleury has been the biggest factor for the Golden Knights throughout their unlikely playoff run, and he was again spectacular for most of the conference finals.
Over the five games in this series, Fleury stopped 152 of 162 shots -- good enough for a .938 save percentage. He allowed just six goals and had a save percentage of .954 at even strength.
And – all due respect -- this wasn't the Kings or the Sharks, who both had their share of offensive struggles at points this season. No, this was the Winnipeg Jets, who finished second in the NHL in scoring and have arguably the most lethal top six in the league.

USA Today:
Just as he had throughout the season, Fleury was the Golden Knights’ most important player. Fleury owns 404 regular-season wins and 73 more in the playoffs, but he might be playing the most spectacular postseason hockey of his career.
If the Conn Smythe Trophy was awarded after three rounds, Fleury would win it.
His quickness, confidence, anticipation and focus has been the difference in the series. He was particularly sharp in the second period of Game 4, making 14 saves, including a beauty against Bryan Little. Fleury has stopped 99 of 104 shots in three consecutive wins against the Jets.

Sportsnet:
The biggest reason this Western Conference final is knotted up as we head for Sin City is that Fleury held the fort. It wasn’t a work of art. He often had to battle for positioning in the crease during a 30-save performance that included some help from his posts – something Flower acknowledged by gently patting the iron after Andrew Copp had him beat in the second period.
When the Jets regrouped and mounted another strong push in the second period, Fleury was there again.
The three-time Stanley Cup champion serves as a safety blanket for the first-year team. He arrived with the best resume of any of the players procured in the expansion draft last June. Not even a full year later, Fleury’s riding a .945 save percentage in these playoffs and turned aside all 12 of Winnipeg’s high-danger scoring chances in Game 2.
The heat map tells the story of a night where the goaltending made the difference:

20172018-30322-all.png

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fleury was 100% the reason that we lost that series. After game 1.

Fleury - 161 shots against - .956 save %

Hellebuyck - 118 shots against - .907 save %

We out chanced Vegas, out high danger shot Vegas, out perimeter shot Vegas, out shot Vegas completely.

Fleury just managed to shut the door and Hellebuyck couldn't make a save.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I see a thread called " Why Vegas Won " and I'm thinking.. WTF did I miss? I swear I watched them implode against San Jose.. then I see it's people still living in the past. My God... might as well start dissecting why the Jets lost to the Oilers in 1985.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'd have to watch it again, but I recall thinking we were not challenging Fleury much. I thought the Jets were outplayed from the opening faceoff. Actually thought the whole playoff run was a a bit overrated. We beat Minnesotas farm team then got taken to 7 games by Nashville and their .860 goaltending (or whatever it was).

Like, I can’t even... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad