OT: Why the Oilers?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Born in 82' most of my childhood memories of hockey was watching them hoist the cup starting in 87

Reactions: Shathar

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I was born in 1984, my dad and mom were huge fans so I was thrown into it. I have vague memories of being very young and watching with the both of them.

It's hard for me to remember when I actually made the conscious decision that I loved hockey and the Oilers, if I'm honest.

Just feels like it has always been that way.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
Born and raised in Edmonton so naturally cheered for the Oilers and hated Calgary.

Watching the Oilers upset Dallas and Colorado with my high school buddies cemented it firmly. As to why now I'm still a fan after harsh 90's and decade of darkness... The McLight is slowly getting stronger. Hopefully it isn't a freight train ready to crush my feelings again.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I was born in 1984, my dad and mom were huge fans so I was thrown into it. I have vague memories of being very young and watching with the both of them.

It's hard for me to remember when I actually made the conscious decision that I loved hockey and the Oilers, if I'm honest.

Just feels like it has always been that way.

I'm on the east coast and always have been. I started watching the oilers because a childhood friend was a Vancouver fan and hated the oilers, so I cheered for them because I liked annoying him. The love for the team (and my hatred of the Canucks) kind of grew from that twisted origin.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
No idea. Grew up in NW Ontario with zero links to the Oilers through family or friends. Was in sixth grade when they beat Boston 1990. My whole class was cheering for Boston so I decided to be the outsider, and it stuck. Prior to this I paid no attention to the NHL. Gretzky was always the #1 enemy to me in those early years of fandom.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Grew up .. partly in MTL then EDM. Was a Habs fan during my young MTL days then moved to EDM in the late 70s . Hated the Oilers at first but after living here a few years and the difficulty seeing the Habs on TV out west, I became an Oilers fan just by just watching them on a regular basis . Messier was my favorite player. Can't stand him now..:laugh:.. Ken Dryden forever though..:thumbu:

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Grew up .. partly in MTL then EDM. Was a Habs fan during my young MTL days then moved to EDM in the late 70s . Hated the Oilers at first but after living here a few years and the difficulty seeing the Habs on TV out west, I became an Oilers fan just by just watching them on a regular basis . Messier was my favorite player. Can't stand him now..:laugh:.. Ken Dryden forever though..:thumbu:

It's too much fun to hate on the Habs and Leafs where I live. Everyone is a fan of one or the other. Most of my nighttime chatter with friends involves making fun of them (and being made fun of in turn).

Because of Spectors 'folding like a cheap tent' comment a few days ago, I've received more than a few instructional videos from friends on how to fold a cheap tent.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It's too much fun to hate on the Habs and Leafs where I live. Everyone is a fan of one or the other. Most of my nighttime chatter with friends involves making fun of them (and being made fun of in turn).

Because of Spectors 'folding like a cheap tent' comment a few days ago, I've received more than a few instructional videos from friends on how to fold a cheap tent.
:laugh:..What area out east do you live?.. BTW .. Spec can FO..

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Born into a family of rabid fans.

Bed time stories were of 80s glory.

2006 made me just as rabid. Got a lucky chance to go watch game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals too!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Born outside of Calgary. Dad never really had a favorite team, was a Sittler fan growing up. Parents friends were massive Oil fans and semi-converted me when I was a kid. Then my favorites became Ryan Smyth, and Ales Hemsky.

Then my Uncle took me to game 6 of Dallas vs Edmonton in 2003.

I couldn't even hear myself think in that building it was so damn loud. Even though Edmonton lost that game I'll never forget it. Then 2006 happened and I've been addicted like heroin ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad