OT: Why the Oilers?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Born and raised in Metro Vancouver. Family of Canucks fans. Haven't the slightest clue why I took the Oilers but here we are. Been about 24 years now.

I probably just hate myself deep down.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Born outside of Calgary. Dad never really had a favorite team, was a Sittler fan growing up. Parents friends were massive Oil fans and semi-converted me when I was a kid. Then my favorites became Ryan Smyth, and Ales Hemsky.

Then my Uncle took me to game 6 of Dallas vs Edmonton in 2003.

I couldn't even hear myself think in that building it was so damn loud. Even though Edmonton lost that game I'll never forget it. Then 2006 happened and I've been addicted like heroin ever since.

I still have chills thinking about the crowd in '06.
I absolutely hated Dallas, mostly because of Mike Keane telling Oilers fans to 'go home, it's over' a few years earlier.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Lived in Alberta for 45+ years. Family connections to a few WHA era players. But definitely a bigger Detroit Red Wings fan (and still am), growing up it was Delvecchio, Ullman (he being from Edmonton), Reed Larson, and a bunch of sad sack editions of that team, but something about the “local” team kept pulling me in. Probably have seen 60-70 live games in Edmonton so hard not to pull for them. Saw them from the WHA years to when they joined the show and then the glory years. Decade of darkness was absolutely hard to get excited for, would like to erase those years, full stop. Don’t spend much time on HF DRW because the fans on HFOil are so much more fun to banter with and knowledgeable about the game of hockey. Great thread idea OP.

Reactions: Shathar

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I still have chills thinking about the crowd in '06.
I absolutely hated Dallas, mostly because of Mike Keane telling Oilers fans to 'go home, it's over' a few years earlier.
I’ve been to well over a thousand games and game 6 of the 06 final is probably the best I’ve ever seen an Oilers team play.. We won 4-0, still can’t believe we lost game 7.

Reactions: Shathar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad