News Article: Why The Montreal Canadiens Need To Acquire Max Talbot

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
cant believe some people are actually saying no to talbot :facepalm: nothing to do with him being french,its hes character that i love and would be perfect for our 4th line,has long as philly isnt demanding too much i would take max in my team any day of the week.Personally i woudlnt trade him for Diaz since hes been great this year but a swap for Moen or a third round + weber i would be all over it.Hes maybe having a bad year so far but Talbot in the playoffs is exactly what we need and im pretty confident that MB would also be interested for the right price

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Or better yet let's just watch Dumont develop as our very own Talbot.

I would move Moen for Talbot. If the Flyers think they can use more size, and we get better hands, it could be a fit.

And it would not affect Dumont that way.

Cap wise very similar. Talbot is 2 years younger and maybe a bit hungrier at this point.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
cant believe some people are actually saying no to talbot :facepalm: nothing to do with him being french,its hes character that i love and would be perfect for our 4th line,has long as philly isnt demanding too much i would take max in my team any day of the week.Personally i woudlnt trade him for Diaz since hes been great this year but a swap for Moen or a third round + weber i would be all over it.Hes maybe having a bad year so far but Talbot in the playoffs is exactly what we need and im pretty confident that MB would also be interested for the right price

Exactly. When I'm thinking Talbot being a good player to target for potential trade, I'm thinking playoff experience and Stanley Cup winner. In my opinion, he is the type of player Bergevin should try to get for the playoffs. He'd definitely benefit us, as he raises his game in the postseason, he goes all out energy-wise and he's a great penalty killer. I'd be willing to lose out on a bit of future (meaning trade an asset in the juniors) plus somebody else (not Diaz) or a draft pick for his service. I know some of you don't like this idea, but we're talking about the playoffs here. We've got a legitimate chance, we're getting there health-wise, our D looks good, our G is solid, our PP is top-10 and it is creating chances on an regular basis.

The PK is what must be most improved. I think his acquisition would make us a legit Stanley Cup contender. I just doubt Philly is willing to part ways with Talbot. Overpaying for his services... don't know man...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why The Montreal Canadiens Need To Acquire Max Talbot
http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-montreal-canadiens-need-to-acquire-max-talbot/

What do you think?

I wouldn't give up Diaz for him but I would trade Weber and a 3rd rounder. Then make separate deal to get a pick back. Either deal Moen or White or Armstrong for a pick because be no room for somebody. Talbot can't play on top 2 lines and third line is Pleks/Gio/Bourque, 4th line likely Dumont/Prust/Talbot.

Zeroknowledge*

I would trade Weber or White for him maybe add a late pick.

But yes he would be a good addition for our playoff run.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Would you do it for a 2nd round pick?

Would the Flyers do it for a 2nd round pick?

From the trade boards. Flyers want Weber + 2nd. I'd prefer the pick as a third myself, but could go either way. Talbot would give us some excellent stability in the bottom six and relieve Prust's workload somewhat. He may be small but the guy battles damn hard and Pittsburgh fans rave about him as a locker room guy. We might even be able to move Moen and recover the pick we give up. Although, Moen/Talbot/Prust would be a good line.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
He is available, it's a fact! Check the Flyers board and the trade rumors board.

I think Talbot is the ideal player for the Canadiens and I also think we need Whitney on the back end for a long playoff run.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
He is available, it's a fact! Check the Flyers board and the trade rumors board.

Not saying that he's not available, but I'm not sure the HF rumours board is the right place to affirm he's on the market. Wouldn't that come from Holmgren, or someone in the organization as opposed to fans?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think he'd be a very solid addition going forward, but there's one area he's only marginal at, and it's faceoffs. The Habs desperately need someone that can win key draws consistently. That alone, would help the PK.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd love him on this team. As Gaston Therrien would say, it would make us ''difficile de jouer contre''.

We're 3rd in terms of regulation losses with only 5 losses through 30 games, we are tied at 4th for most wins. We already are a very difficult team to play against.

Talbot would be a good addition for the playoffs, but it's not a necessity. I don't like the length of his deal but at such a small hit, it's not the end of the world.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
From the trade boards. Flyers want Weber + 2nd. I'd prefer the pick as a third myself, but could go either way. Talbot would give us some excellent stability in the bottom six and relieve Prust's workload somewhat. He may be small but the guy battles damn hard and Pittsburgh fans rave about him as a locker room guy. We might even be able to move Moen and recover the pick we give up. Although, Moen/Talbot/Prust would be a good line.

Weber is not a real cost at all. We will lose him on waivers anyway.

Paying a 2nd rounder for a rental is steep, and I doubt it would be done for a rental of this calibre (as opposed to Iginla or people like that).

However, the fact that this is NOT a rental, that there are three more years on the deal beyond just this year, at $1.75M, for a reliable young vet (age 29) make the price affordable. I think we are a better team making this deal than not. Maybe try to get a 6th rounder back for Weber, but not a priority.

Bilbo Caufield

Habs Hockey
Dec 9, 2008
Santa Flanella
Max could be the difference between going far or losing in the 1st round. No big moves needed but Jagr + Talbot could bring us a cup and not cost bright future players or picks. Do it Marc I know you're a smart guy

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Not saying that he's not available, but I'm not sure the HF rumours board is the right place to affirm he's on the market. Wouldn't that come from Holmgren, or someone in the organization as opposed to fans?

While I agree with you, Holmgren will never and come out and say that he is available but I think that he will get traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad