"Why The Leafs Suck And How They Can Be Fixed" By Al Strachan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorade*

Then why did all of that cap money go unspent last season? An immediate timetable would result in spending every dollar available wouldn't it? Where are all of the trades for short term benefit?

As I said.... he is now back peddling and revising. Failure does that. He spent plenty of assets and cap dollars on Komisarek, Beauchemin, Versteeg, Gigeure, Lupul etc. That didn't work so he is tearing down plan A and going with another mixed approach.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Burke said this in his opening press conference. There is really no debate. His goal was not to rebuild but to be a playoff team immediately and I am sure that won over MLSE execs. Of course he has had to back peddle since then.

JFJ was forced to do the same thing. So far neither GM has been able to do what their boss has asked them to do.

Not sure BB bought 100% into MLSEs rules from day 1 but 3/5 million a year does allow one to bend a little.

Edgeworth*

Bring Quinn back IMO. At least we were in the playoffs on a regular basis when he coached. Who cares if he chewed gum a lot and showed little emotion behind the bench.

Traded our pick in 2003, still haven't forgiven him. We lost out on Perry, Kesler and Richards. ANY ONE OF THEM would have solved our woes long ago. :help:

Gatorade*

Not sure BB bought 100% into MLSEs rules from day 1 but 3/5 million a year does allow one to bend a little.

My best guess is that Burke sold MLSE on playoff revenue in the short term vs. having to rebuild the way the media and many others were saying it must be done. MLSE were all over that of course.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
As I said.... he is now back peddling and revising. Failure does that. He spent plenty of assets and cap dollars on Komisarek, Beauchemin, Versteeg, Gigeure, Lupul etc. That didn't work so he is tearing down plan A and going with another mixed approach.

When did we collectively decide Lupal hasn't worked out?

smoke meat pete*

I understand why some say he's changed his plan, but some of us saw it from the start.

smoke meat pete*

My best guess is that Burke sold MLSE on playoff revenue in the short term vs. having to rebuild the way the media and many others were saying it must be done. MLSE were all over that of course.

Which is why MLSE did not put playoff revenue into their budget?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Close, BB did not have to sell MLSE anything, he just had to agree with what has been their modios operandi all along.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If that's your best guess please spare us your worst guess.

Ah! here comes the teachers pension fund defender once again.

Never would have guessed you would have chimed in on this topic:sarcasm:, must be as shocking to see me talking about em. Still paying your union dew

Gatorade*

If Burke said it then why are you guessing he said it?

I know what Burke said, as there are quotes available, but I do not know what was said between him and MLSE; nor do I know for sure what the MLSE mandate was or why they liked what Burke sold to them as a plan, therefore it is a best guess based on available information.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Then why did all of that cap money go unspent last season? An immediate timetable would result in spending every dollar available wouldn't it? Where are all of the trades for short term benefit?

Hmm lets see, millions waisted in the minors on Finger, no real shot at the POs, Profit is your motivation and one wonders why we did not spend to the cap, ding ding ding, survey sayyyyyyyssssss.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Your mis-use of the word "dew" tells me all I need to know.

Once a teacher always a teacher eh, Maybe you should debate Jacques Demers on the merits of speeling and gramma inregards to hockey knowledge, or do you need a genius(smirk) like Ken Dryden to splain it to ya.

smoke meat pete*

Hmm lets see, millions waisted in the minors on Finger, no real shot at the POs, Profit is your motivation and one wonders why we did not spend to the cap, ding ding ding, survey sayyyyyyyssssss.

Burke's reasons for not spending to the cap went well beyong profit lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad