Why Precisely Do Reinhart and Ristolainen Think Sabres Are Rebuilding & What's The Way Out Of This?

What's the way out of this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Rebuild should be a last resort, IMO, especially after a 10 year failed one. It's not like the Sabres don't have young elite talent.

It seems both of RR and SR are hearing the same thing or listening to the same people.

Who is telling them that?
Dahlin, Olofsson, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, UPL, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Thompson, Ruotsalainen, Bjork, Borgen, Jokiharju, Laaksonen (who I think is special) the 2021 1st...
They'll all be entering their prime soon enough along with Reinhart all together.

There should be an influx of elite/real talent all entering their primes simultaneously.

Few signings and couple trades away from being contenders for the playoffs at least IMO (with Eichel & Reinhart on team). Ride a hot goalie you don't need the perfect/ideal team to win a cup. Happens all the time.

I see all sides of the issue but maybe I'm biased because if there's another rebuild, that marks a chapter in my life I never thought I'd be at... I'd likely stop watching and stat watch...from now and then.

Why do SR and RR consider the Sabres a rebuilding team? Pieces are in place.
& What's the way out of this?

What say you fellow Sabres fans?
Let's respect everyone's opinion and be open-minded to all viewpoints as always during this stressful time to be a Sabre fan. I'm very curious what people think.:thumbu::popcorn:

***If anyone has an opinion that's not reflected by the poll question, I'll add if it's not redundant and a valuable perspective but I think it's mostly encompassing**

Last edited:

Rolli

Apr 15, 2014
Northen Sweden
I voted stick w/it, grasping for the small hope that a good coach (Granato or a new one) can continue to build on the improvements we saw during the last bit of the season, and that adding a 1# goalie to that will lead to winning, wich will "calm" Eichel and Reinhart.

One can hope right. :help:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think if you want to convince those guys you have to start by hiring a top end name coach.

Probably like Babcock, he is a jerk off but he's a jerk off that gets results (assuming the result needed here is to become a playoff team fast) and got Toronto going in the right direction rapidly.

That's where I would start, and I would try to get him to talk Eichel off the ledge.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Shake up trade involving non core players and assets (Anyone not Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin) in exchange for players that aren't old but help them win now.

Anyone else is available for trade including this year's 1st round pick.

Hire a proven coach that has a history of turning franchises into winners (Boudreau).

All this is moot, though, because the organization has already burned the bridges with Eichel and Reinhart and they are sick of losing.

Reactions: explore

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Shake up trade involving non core players and assets (Anyone not Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin) in exchange for players that aren't old but help them win now.

Anyone else is available for trade including this year's 1st round pick.

Hire a proven coach that has a history of turning franchises into winners (Boudreau).

All this is moot, though, because the organization has already burned the bridges with Eichel and Reinhart and they are sick of losing.

This.

Once players publicly say they want out, you have burned a bridge that you can't rebuild

It's the sheer arrogance of grossly incompetent management and ownership that's led to the situation today

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is not a rebuild starting

its natural process from season to season to

1. late UFAs walk
2. sign new UFAs
3 have minor league grads join NHL team
4. made player trades

I dont think there will be one team who has the same roster next year among the top 26 players meaning 23 regular roster and 3 common prospects you called up for short term injuries.

Sure an Eichel trade would be a shocker on the team.

Then you have an ED so 1-3 players might be gone via trades made.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why is it "at least a 3 year process" in option #1?

i dont see it as a 3 yr process eeither because they are likely acquiring 2 NGL ready players+picks if they traded Eichel or Reinhart

risot likely brings back a veteran in a trade.

If they were dealing Eichel/Reinhart for all picks and unsigned/ not yet started ELC prospects youd likely get the 3 years time for those things to be part of current roster.. even a top 10 pick you dont expcct anything for 21/22 , see some of them in 22/23, then 23/24 they should be nhl ready to make a difference.

If they traded just Eichel they likely get back some NHL ready players.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
IMHO, Samson's comments were damning. As much, or more, than Eichel's.

Gotta believe that these guys are tight. I figure that he is suggesting that if Eichel is traded for a boatload of picks/prospects, Sam is not willing to stick around to see how that works out. And Sam knows that Eichel is going to force his way out.

If GMKA trades Eichel, he might as well ship Sam out too.

This is not going to end well. The Sabres will not get better by trading Jack.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Why is it "at least a 3 year process" in option #1?
I voted to rebuild by trading veterans for youth, but I don't think it takes 3 years.

i dont see it as a 3 yr process eeither because they are likely acquiring 2 NGL ready players+picks if they traded Eichel or Reinhart

risot likely brings back a veteran in a trade.

If they were dealing Eichel/Reinhart for all picks and unsigned/ not yet started ELC prospects youd likely get the 3 years time for those things to be part of current roster.. even a top 10 pick you dont expcct anything for 21/22 , see some of them in 22/23, then 23/24 they should be nhl ready to make a difference.

If they traded just Eichel they likely get back some NHL ready players.

Many are saying to tank for two years for two stacked drafts at the top.

Three somewhat of an arbitrary number, that's why I said at least three years, but if it's tank for two seasons, it's not going to all of a sudden explode to success in the third season. I'll just change it to quell confusion. Thank you all for your input.

*Edit cannot change the questions, so just deal with it mth*****z:cool::popcorn:

Last edited:

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
My guess is the only way to convince Reino to give this team a last chance is to use the Eichel trade as a retool to fill out the roster with 2 top 6 forwards and a top 4 dman.

I fear KA already talked to them about a '3 year plan' or whatever and that's why both are so pissed. Imagine seeing a light at the end of the tunnel under Granato and then being told 'jk lol we're not even gonna try to not suck next year'.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Trading eichel/Reinhart or not trading them doesn't mean a new rebuild starts. If we trade them the sabres should be able to put a playoff caliber team on the ice. If the sabres don't trade them the sabres should be able to put a playoff caliber team on the ice

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
Trading eichel/Reinhart or not trading them doesn't mean a new rebuild starts. If we trade them the sabres should be able to put a playoff caliber team on the ice. If the sabres don't trade them the sabres should be able to put a playoff caliber team on the ice

I really hope that's true.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I agree. Putting in 3 to 4 very good young 20-22 year-old players from trading Sam and Jack ( a d risto) plus the cap flex we get from that to get 1-2 vets and a good goalie might make us a good team even by next year. The last 20 games of the season we were essentially just below 500, and only subtraction would be Sam and Risto and replacing them with much better depth and possibly even one or two equivalent players. Jack was t playing obviously the last couple months from the current roster. Add a good goalie tandem and they may be a 7 or 8 seed next year with a good coach. And that is the new floor you build from!

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Tank dammit. TANK! Why set yourself up for disappointment next season with this playoff talk.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
It's a rebuild only in the sense that you are in a position where you likely need to sell your valuable veterans and go with youth. I agree that it does not mean we have to wait another 5-10 years to see a competitive team. Our veterans (Reinhart, Eichel, Risto) are much more valuable than the last time we sold assets and started over. We're also starting with many good prospects and NHL ready young players already in the mix.

IMO the ideal way forward would be to keep Reinhart and Eichel and keep adding, but the way they feel about things may not make that possible at this point.

But even if we have to sell them, if Adams makes smart moves, this can turn around quickly.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
After yesterday, and with the Skinner and Hall situations, what free agents would want to sign here.

We are a tire-fire shit-show and it will take a couple years to get the shine back.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In an ideal world --- we stick to it, getting to the playoffs shuts Jack and Sam up.

In a not-quite-ideal-but-still-acceptable deal: Trade Sam. Tell Jack "prove it next year and we'll see from there", Sabres make the playoffs with Jack leading the charge and he's a Sabre for life.

In the real world: Probably trade Jack and Sam for younger players that are fully NHL ready or pretty much NHL ready. Bring in solid goaltending and hope that Dylan and Casey keep developing. Be in the playoff race this upcoming year and be ready to fly in 21/22.

In Buffalo's world: Trade Jack and Sam for a hill of beans. Cozens and Mitts stop developing. Dahlin too. Sabres don't get any of the next few mega prospects (think Wright/Bedard) and toil in the lower reaches of the NHL for the next 10 years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sam and Risto are hearing it from Jack.

Jack wanting out means that they have no real hope to turn this around in the short term.

There is no Turgeon for LaFontaine trade out there where the Sabres can trade Eichel 1 for 1 for a guy that elevates this team.

That and the fact that the owner thought this year's team was a Cup Contender and it finished DEAD *&%#ING LAST in the NHL again leaves the players having no faith that this front office and this ownership group has any clue how to make this team competitive next season. Especially if they are forced to trade away Eichel who is the face of the franchise, the captain, the 1C, and a top 10 player in the NHL.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Scorched earth isn't happening, because you're not moving Mitts,Joki,Thompson,Asplund,etc.

Sam and Risto are hearing it from Jack.

This is definitely right.

Jack made his moves to get traded, and we'll see where it goes and how it effects Reinhart in particular. They should move Risto either way. Reinhart should depend on the return. If it's big, go for it. If it's a 1st in 21 and a b-prospect right now, QO him and wait until the deadline for a 2022 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad