Why people dislike other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
For example, The Penguins:

Now, jealousy plays a role in this because of what the Penguins accomplished in the past 10 years (since 20008/2009) I also heard a Flyer fan say that they wish Crosby was on their team. It's not that they hate him, but other teams wish that they had players like Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.

Overall, every goal for a sport's team is to win and have success. When a team keeps losing, fails to win the championship, or fails make the playoffs, then they start to get frustrated. Deep down, I feel like some of those teams and fans wish that they had great players & success, so they show they jealousy towards great teams. However, draft day, free agency, and even trades can make or break a team. So, it's all about how the players, coaches, and GM's perform, which is why some of them move from team to team.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well it would be weird if we loved all the other teams...

almost all of it is fans disliking other fans, rather than players or teams

It's also definitely this. On paper the Leafs, outside of Kadri, are a really likeable team. But the fans, on paper and in reality, are generally horrific (not more than other teams...There's just more of them) so the hate is aimed at the fans and not so much the team

member 298589

Sports is competitive by nature and people take that to the extreme too often. People are even competitive with their opinions like their needs to be a winner. It is unfortunate that there are few people whom are truly a fan of the sport and not a specific franchise.

Reactions: amethyst

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Because all other teams suck. I know that my team sucks but every other team sucks more. And people who cheer for other teams are all wrong. I don’t want them cheering for my team because they would all be bandwagon fans. Also everyone else who cheers for my team is a fair weather fan compared to me. So to sum it up “get off my lawn” ummm I mean it is all in good fun. We like the idea of heroes and villains. We like to imagine that the game means more than a distraction from working 40 hours a week to make some rich guy richer

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well it would be weird if we loved all the other teams...

It's also definitely this. On paper the Leafs, outside of Kadri, are a really likeable team. But the fans, on paper and in reality, are generally horrific (not more than other teams...There's just more of them) so the hate is aimed at the fans and not so much the team

This too. Near the end of the 2016-2017 season, I had grown a soft spot for the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews was a really fun young player, Mitchell Marner was as well, and they played an exciting style. I remember watching game 6 against Washington, cheering when Matthews scored, and being devastated when Johansson won it in overtime.

Then Patrick Marleau, my all-time favorite player (at the time), signed with them. They were for sure my 2nd favorite team and for a moment, I thought that they would grow to become my favorite team.

Roughly 8 months later, I had grown so sick and tired of their fans on this forum, with their hilarious victim mentality, that I found myself rooting against them in the series against Boston.

Then, Tavares signed with them after leading on the Sharks, and the Sharks forum had to deal with the onslaught of trolling from Toronto’s fan base.

Needless to say, I f***ing hate them.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
This too. Near the end of the 2016-2017 season, I had grown a soft spot for the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews was a really fun young player, Mitchell Marner was as well, and they played an exciting style. I remember watching game 6 against Washington, cheering when Matthews scored, and being devastated when Johansson won it in overtime.

Then Patrick Marleau, my all-time favorite player (at the time), signed with them. They were for sure my 2nd favorite team and for a moment, I thought that they would grow to become my favorite team.

Roughly 8 months later, I had grown so sick and tired of their fans on this forum, with their hilarious victim mentality, that I found myself rooting against them in the series against Boston.

Then, Tavares signed with them after leading on the Sharks, and the Sharks forum had to deal with the onslaught of trolling from Toronto’s fan base.

Needless to say, I ****ing hate them.
lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Needless to say, I ****ing hate them.
kind of cool how Leafs fans thinking people dislike them led to you disliking them. anyway, the feeling's mutual

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
kind of cool how Leafs fans thinking people dislike them led to you disliking them. anyway, the feeling's mutual

It’s not “people dislike us.” It’s “MATTHEWS AND RIELLY ARE WAY BETTER THAN MCDAVID AND KARLSSON AND THE ONLY REASON THEY LOSE THOSE POLLS IS ANTI LEAFS BIAS WHICH COMES FROM JEALOUSY OF THE FACT THAT WE ARE THE GREATEST HOCKEY FRANCHISE EVER AND THEY CANT STAND IT”

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I dislike a certain team because we played a certain team five times in the playoffs since the lockout, and after beating them three of those times, certain fans of a certain team never once said "congratulations" or "good luck" or "nice series." No, it was always a book of excuses as to why they should have won and why they were actually better than us.

We played the Penguins a bunch of f***ing times too and every time we won, they went out of their way to show respect.

That's why I dislike certain teams.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It’s not “people dislike us.” It’s “MATTHEWS AND RIELLY ARE WAY BETTER THAN MCDAVID AND KARLSSON AND THE ONLY REASON THEY LOSE THOSE POLLS IS ANTI LEAFS BIAS WHICH COMES FROM JEALOUSY OF THE FACT THAT WE ARE THE GREATEST HOCKEY FRANCHISE EVER AND THEY CANT STAND IT”

Here's a good example, a "Sharks fan" who posts almost exclusively about the Leafs and feels the need to have a Leaf related comment attached to his user name. I like the Sharks, and I like Thorton and I'd love to see them win a cup, if the team folded tomorrow I would be sad but I'd still take the time to laugh at this dude.

Reactions: DirkStraun

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Here's a good example, a "Sharks fan" who posts almost exclusively about the Leafs and feels the need to have a Leaf related comment attached to his user name. I like the Sharks, and I like Thorton and I'd love to see them win a cup, if the team folded tomorrow I would be sad but I'd still take the time to laugh at this dude.

I have roughly 100 times as many Sharks related posts as Maple Leafs related posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad