Why people dislike other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Human nature.

My cousin Tarquin Jackson lives in Manchester England. He is a United supporter and would gladly kill or maim any Manchester City supporters. Yet he loves his Mum, and feeds stray cats. Go figure....

Reactions: sabremike

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Because humans have this deep rooted need for tribalism. For more than a million years our ancestors lived in small hunter-gatherer groups competing with other groups. We are designed to think "my group good, your group bad". It's healthy to express this need somehow. And instead of it expressing as racism, nationalism, group identity politics or hating apple products cause we use samsung we can channel it into sports. MY TEAM GOOD, YOUR TEAM BAD

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
For example, The Penguins:

Now, jealousy plays a role in this because of what the Penguins accomplished in the past 10 years (since 20008/2009) I also heard a Flyer fan say that they wish Crosby was on their team. It's not that they hate him, but other teams wish that they had players like Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.

Overall, every goal for a sport's team is to win and have success. When a team keeps losing, fails to win the championship, or fails make the playoffs, then they start to get frustrated. Deep down, I feel like some of those teams and fans wish that they had great players & success, so they show they jealousy towards great teams. However, draft day, free agency, and even trades can make or break a team. So, it's all about how the players, coaches, and GM's perform, which is why some of them move from team to team.

Well I’ll actually try and make a serious response to the title unlike most.

The biggest reasons I think are:

- Divisional rivalry
No explanation needed

- Constant media hype
May start to annoy people. Not a huge deal for me.

- A certain action done to their team by a player on the opposing team
Besides the divisional rivalry stuff like Subban turning his stick into an axe and chopping off Stones hand (definitely not exaggerating) ;) most likely didn’t go well to most in the Sens fan base.

- Goons
Used to be Tor for me, I couldn’t stand them as a kid. Especially Tucker the f***er lol. Now I actually highly respect them and wish them the best

- Annoying fanbase
I’m not getting into this but I definitely feel this is a reason. I expect a passionate fanbase with a couple assholes on every one. No problem for me with that.

I don’t feel like jealousy of other teams players play a role. I can name you tons of players I’d love on the Sens. It doesn’t make me hate the team... I’d probably hate every team in the league if that was the case lol.

Hard question for me to answer properly because I respect every fanbase and wish them all the best. But those are my best guesses.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Users on hfboards, Facebook, and twitter can easily make one hate a fan base despite having positive interactions on other sites with said fans.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I used to really hate the RedWings but since we don't play them in the playoffs anymore its vanished.
Also used to hate the Hawks cause of that annoying 'goal song' that sounds like "uh oh spaghetti-o".

Now i pretty much just reserve it for players that intentionally try to injure others: Wilson, Giordano, Lucic, Neal, etc

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Rivalries, interactions with fans of opposing teams, losing a playoff series, multiple games, the cup. There are so many reasons, and if we didn't find a way to hate eachother this would probably be a pretty boring game where the teams got together after the buzzer to all have a group hug at center ice.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I never actually hate any teams, it’s more of the fans that I hate. From the time that I can remember My local football club (that I cheer for) has hated the rivals Fc Dunajská Streda. The reason this hatred is there is because Streda is supported by Hungarians. And the hate is due to the history and hatred between Slovaks and Hungarians. If you supported D.S. than you were basically the devil or Hungarian which in our minds is the same thing.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
For example, The Penguins:

Now, jealousy plays a role in this because of what the Penguins accomplished in the past 10 years (since 20008/2009) I also heard a Flyer fan say that they wish Crosby was on their team. It's not that they hate him, but other teams wish that they had players like Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.

Overall, every goal for a sport's team is to win and have success. When a team keeps losing, fails to win the championship, or fails make the playoffs, then they start to get frustrated. Deep down, I feel like some of those teams and fans wish that they had great players & success, so they show they jealousy towards great teams. However, draft day, free agency, and even trades can make or break a team. So, it's all about how the players, coaches, and GM's perform, which is why some of them move from team to team.

I don't really dislike other teams. My team (Ottawa) has had 2-3 good seasons out of 25 years of existence.
Late 90s to mid-2000s were a blast, but now we are excited over a few kids, some of which are regressing slightly.

I'm happy for Pittsburgh, Carolina, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. They are winners. Sports are for making winners, period.

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I hate a team when it eliminates mine in the playoffs. And not just once, because that happens. Can’t win em all, right? I hate a team when it eliminates mine 3 out of every 4 times they meet in the playoffs. And they’ve met often over the decades.

I don’t hate the fans, though. They have no control over where they were born, who their dad liked, or whose game appeals to them the most. We like who we like, and I always respect that. Besides, they’re not out there playing the games.

Reactions: berlin

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
almost all of it is fans disliking other fans, rather than players or teams

aUbXgd2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad