Why Ovi is actually Brett Hull

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Was Hull a legit power forward, who could effect the game with his speed, and heavy play? Yes, these are two great (one timer) scorers, but OV is by far the more complete player.

Ovechkin plays in an era of free real estate, being a power forward today isn’t the same thing as it was 30 years ago - I’m pretty sure most players 30 years ago would qualify as a power forward today. Hull absolutely took more abuse in trying to score than Ovechkin has, and I wouldn’t call Ovi complete because he’s more physical.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ovechkin plays in an era of free real estate, being a power forward today isn’t the same thing as it was 30 years ago - I’m pretty sure most players 30 years ago would qualify as a power forward today. Hull absolutely took more abuse in trying to score than Ovechkin has, and I wouldn’t call Ovi complete because he’s more physical.
Are you talking Bobby Hull? Ya, he was phenomenal in all aspects of the game. Much more like OV. Brett was a stand and shoot player. OV is so much more than that.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Nope, I don't believe it and don't agree with you at all, still a great player and goal scorer though.

He is 99th all time in assists. Regularly among the league leaders for hits and almost always in the goal lead. As for his skating i would advise you to look at a Top 10 goal reel with Ovi

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, Rocket Richard, Phil Esposito, Bossy, Bure, Mario

Ovie has earned his spot on that list among the greatest goal scorers in NHL history.
Where does he rank on that list? It doesn't matter.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He is 99th all time in assists. Regularly among the league leaders for hits and almost always in the goal lead. As for his skating i would advise you to look at a Top 10 goal reel with Ovi
I have watched Ovechkin since he started in the league, I do not need to watch highlight reels. He is an elite goal scorer, and a great player, but for me an elite offensive player can score goals and create even more for their teammates because that player will lead to more offense for a team than any one player can score on their own. Nothing wrong with being a great goal scorer, its a hard job, and he is one of the best ever.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I have watched Ovechkin since he started in the league, I do not need to watch highlight reels. He is an elite goal scorer, and a great player, but for me an elite offensive player can score goals and create even more for their teammates because that player will lead to more offense for a team than any one player can score on their own. Nothing wrong with being a great goal scorer, its a hard job, and he is one of the best ever.

People really act like Ovechkin doesn't have 500+ assists or like you can't go on NHL.com and search tons of great passes.

Reactions: Sentinel

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
People really act like Ovechkin doesn't have 500+ assists or like you can't go on NHL.com and search tons of great passes.
Numbers do not always tell the whole story about anything, but since stats is the end all, he hasn't had 40 assists in a season for 10 years. Being able to make a nice pass doesn't mean a player is a good playmaker, any player can make a nice pass. An elite offensive player has the vision to see about 3 or 4 plays that can create a goal for his team at almost any given time, a really good one can probably see only one or two at time. Making a nice pass has nothing to with being a good playmaker, it is about having the on ice vision of seeing the best offensive opportunity for his team to score at any given time. That is not the type of player Ovechkin is, neither was Brett Hull, but I would take either in a heartbeat. They have the shooting skills to simply over power goalies, very few have that talent.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Is it amazing how many players get overrated by people pulling the "bro, they played in the same era as Gretzky and Lemieux it doesn't count!"

Aside from his 86-goal super season Hull never finished higher than third in the Hart voting and was never in the Lindsay/Pearson running. The year he finished third in 89-90, Gretzky finished fourth with just 16 votes - not even a relevant candidate. In 91-92 when he finished third, Lemieux finished FIFTH behind some dude named Kirk McLean in Vancouver.

He was not stuck behind them. He was a very good player but not on the level some of you are trying to remember. And I liked Brett Hull growing up.
The people who vote for the Hart are as terrible as the average HF Poster in terms of hockey knowledge and bias.. therefore it is a joke of a trophy.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Why he is not:
EMMQ4CD.jpg

Even over three Bretts Ovi still has extra Ross, Calder and Smythe

Yep. The OP’s numbers make it seem a lot closer than it really is.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
The people who vote for the Hart are as terrible as the average HF Poster in terms of hockey knowledge and bias.. therefore it is a joke of a trophy.

And the players who didn't bother to put him in contention for the Pearson any other year except 90-91?

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Numbers do not always tell the whole story about anything, but since stats is the end all, he hasn't had 40 assists in a season for 10 years. Being able to make a nice pass doesn't mean a player is a good playmaker, any player can make a nice pass. An elite offensive player has the vision to see about 3 or 4 plays that can create a goal for his team at almost any given time, a really good one can probably see only one or two at time. Making a nice pass has nothing to with being a good playmaker, it is about having the on ice vision of seeing the best offensive opportunity for his team to score at any given time. That is not the type of player Ovechkin is, neither was Brett Hull, but I would take either in a heartbeat. They have the shooting skills to simply over power goalies, very few have that talent.

Ovechkin has been Top 8 in Goals Created 13 seasons in his career including five seasons at No. 1 but I'm so sure he doesn't help generate offense holistically.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Ovechkin has been Top 8 in Goals Created 13 seasons in his career including five seasons at No. 1 but I'm so sure he doesn't help generate offense holistically.
There are a number of players in the last 40 years I would rather have then Ovechkin, doesn't mean he is not a great player. Same with Hull. Both are great at what they do.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There are a number of players in the last 40 years I would rather have then Ovechkin, doesn't mean he is not a great player. Same with Hull. Both are great at what they do.

You're equating the two. But there's no comparison. Ovechkin is much better than Hull.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
You're equating the two. But there's no comparison. Ovechkin is much better than Hull.
No, what I was equating is that I think both are great goals scorers, but I do not consider either elite offensive players and neither would be my choice over a number of players in recent era's. I never mentioned anything about comparing every aspect of their game. No comparison? Well I am pretty confident that Hull would be piling up goals as good as anyone in the league today with his cannon shot and what I consider to be the best one-timer I have ever seen, so there definitely would be comparisons being made if Hull was playing now.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
No, what I was equating is that I think both are great goals scorers, but I do not consider either elite offensive players and neither would be my choice over a number of players in recent era's. I never mentioned anything about comparing every aspect of their game. No comparison? Well I am pretty confident that Hull would be piling up goals as good as anyone in the league today with his cannon shot and what I consider to be the best one-timer I have ever seen, so there definitely would be comparisons being made if Hull was playing now.

But I'm sure you think guys who are 25-55 are elite because of their assists.

Reactions: YippieKaey

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well said

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I love Brett Hull and feel like he's generally underrated around these parts. He has the most playoff goals in history of NHL after the three Oilers.

That said, he is now squarely behind Ovechkin. Hull has the best peak season between the two and I could give him the advantage in playoffs, but in all other aspects of the game, it's Ovy AINEC.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Late in the game . Down a goal.
Give me Brett Hull or OV. I'm just as confident in either one.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Um, no. Ovechkin post-2010 won the Hart trophy, the Conn Smythe, seven Richards and finished second in Hart voting in another year.

Post-peak Hull did exactly NONE of those things. Not even one Richard (or what would have been a Richard).

These kinds of posts is exactly what happens when people look at raw stats and don't adjust for context.
This is cheap bullshit, we all know how he won it, Fantomas, the bastard found a way to score goals and still be a completely unskilled motherf***er

Last edited:

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Haha. You don't think Ovi creates opportunities for his teammates? Look at their PP. It is basically a 4 on 3 everytime due to the dedicated coverage Ovi gets.

And as i said: Only 99 players ever have more assists.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

Elite goalscorer= elite offensive player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad