Why Mark Messier is Often Regarded the Worst/Most Hated Vancouver Canuck of All Time.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I had no idea Shark fans had any animosity toward Belfour. On the surface it looks like a deadline pickup in his walk year and they failed to deliver a cup.

Sharks fans: why the hate? I'm genuinely curious
Since no Shark fan has answered this, I'll answer the best I can as a Stars fan.

He struggled in SJ, said he wanted stay (according to Shark fans, then signed with the division rival Dallas on the first day of free agency. Since this thread is about Messier, it's worth noting that Messier signing with the Canucks and Belfour signing with the Stars both happened in the 1997 offseason.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The story begins in the 1996 off-season when the Canucks were in search of a top-line center. Pat Quinn, the Canucks' general manager at the time, had targeted Wayne Gretzky as his free agent of choice. Unfortunately, Quinn's own impatience resulted in him presenting Gretzky with an ultimatum in the middle of one summer's evening, calling him in the middle of the night to make a decision about where he would sign. Gretzky took offense and ultimately chose not to sign with Vancouver. Having missed this opportunity, another high-profile free agent centerman, Mark Messier, was available the following off-season, and served as a consolation for Quinn's failure.

Hasn't it come out recently that this was Stan McCammon who gave Gretzky the ultimatum?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hasn't it come out recently that this was Stan McCammon who gave Gretzky the ultimatum?

I understood it to have been George McPhee but from everything I understand yeah, it wasn't Quinn and Quinn was quite angry about what happened.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007

Indeed it was John McCaw's right hand man, Stan McCammon, who pushed the ultimatum and unfortunately Pat Quinn was the messenger.

This was probably the first sign that things were not right under the new Canucks' ownership. When you have non-hockey people telling seasoned hockey people what to do, a franchise usually gets run into the ground. The previous ownership, the Griffith's family, weren't really hockey people either, but they had enough faith in the hockey people they hired that they never really meddled in the affairs of the general manager.

Both Gretzky and Quinn have said that had McCaw and company just let the two of them negotiate then number 99 would have very likely been in a Vancouver Canucks uniform for the 1996-97 season. Now I'm not saying that Gretzky's presence would have turned the struggling Canucks around completely and made them a sure-fire Stanley Cup Champion, but there's little doubt in my mind that it would have been better than Messier's tenure in Vancouver. His presence certainly would have bolstered a lineup that already had the likes of Bure, Mogilny and Linden etc.

When I think of the idea of "Gretzky to Bure," I can't help but shake my head at this one and think what might have been. :amazed:

This and letting Igor Larionov go in the 1992 waiver draft have always struck me as some of the bigger missed opportunities of this particular era of the Canucks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Larionov had signed in Switzerland and the team assumed he would play out his career there. Was a mistake as he came back a year later but not can unreasonable decision at the time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Larionov had signed in Switzerland and the team assumed he would play out his career there. Was a mistake as he came back a year later but not can unreasonable decision at the time.

but it's hard not to concede that the missed opportunity was low-balling larionov in the first place, no?

imagine the '94 larionov who slayed the red wings between '94 bure and greg clutchy adams at his clutchiest...

EDIT: okay i'm going to torture myself and go butterfly effect on this: larionov never leaves, craven settles in on the second line between linden and courtnall, relegating lafayette to the press box. so then at the end of the third in game seven...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This and letting Igor Larionov go in the 1992 waiver draft have always struck me as some of the bigger missed opportunities of this particular era of the Canucks.

but it's hard not to concede that the missed opportunity was low-balling larionov in the first place, no?

From the Canucks board:

Canucks and Larionov agreed to a contract, but as per the original contract with the first transfer, it was a 1 to 1 dollar matching in money going to the Russian Hockey federation. The probloem was, as Igor layed out in his book, the money was not going back to help hockey but back the government officails who would not invest in the game. Igor did not want any more money going back to the Russian officials. To break the original tranfer agreement he had to go to Europe for a year to become a UFA and that ended all financial obligations that any contract signed had with the Russian federation. Read his book, it is covered in the book and his views on the federation. He could never play with the canucks again because of a clause that stated any monies paid to Larionov by the Canucks would need to be matched with payments to the Russian Hockey federation and because being reaquired was not covered in the agreement, the ruling was that if the canucks got him back, they would have to pay money to the Federation

If this is true then there is no way the Canucks could have kept or traded Larionov. They had to let him walk.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ oh, i did not know that.

there is a poster on the canucks board who has long claimed that quinn/burke low-balled larionov, sending him to switzerland. i just sort of accepted it as the truth. (i think those of you who have spent time on the board can all guess who i'm talking about.)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Because he put a big dent into the team.

Linden was forced to give up the C.
Linden got traded because of him.
He demanded to wear number 11 after the team out of respect didn't wear it for the unexpected death of Wayne Maki.
Got payed lots of money at the time to not be as productive as he was in NY/Edmonton.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
It's understandable that Odjick didn't like seeing the Canucks broken up mid-Dynasty. At least he can take solace in the fact that he and all of his former teammates went on to great personal and team success with other organizations.

Post of the thread :laugh:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
there is a poster on the canucks board who has long claimed that quinn/burke low-balled larionov, sending him to switzerland.

Well, it's a matter of fact that Larionov didn't get his salary in the second half of the year 1991. The Soviets (Soviet hockey federation, Sovintersport agency and CSKA Moscow) were proceeding against the Vancouver Canucks via International arbitration around that time as the club had stopped paying Vladimir Krutov in 1990 and the Soviet authorities were subsequently losing out on their share (almost 50%) of Krutov's salary. It's likely the Canucks stopped paying Larionov in order to hurt the Soviets and keep them from going ahead in the Krutov case. When the story made bad press in Vancouver, the club initially denied its accuracy before hastily paying Larionov his money (January 1992). So there is that.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Because he put a big dent into the team.

He demanded to wear number 11 after the team out of respect didn't wear it for the unexpected death of Wayne Maki.
Got payed lots of money at the time to not be as productive as he was in NY/Edmonton.

Not his fault about the money, Linden or the captaincy.

They paid him based on his name and prime years, which I'm guessing caused them to shed Linden's salary and to open up a top 6 spot. Plus Im sure Linden would've (or did? Cant remember) asked for a trade after being stripped of the captaincy and have it given to a newcomer.

I'm sure in hindsight he would've spent those 3 years in Manhattan (giving him a solid 13/14 years with NYR) and said **** the money.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
False.
False.
He demanded to wear number 11...
False.
True, but what organization would be dumb enough to think a 36-to-39-year old would match his previous production?

Oh wait, I know the answer...

JA

Not his fault about the money, Linden or the captaincy.

They paid him based on his name and prime years, which I'm guessing caused them to shed Linden's salary and to open up a top 6 spot. Plus Im sure Linden would've (or did? Cant remember) asked for a trade after being stripped of the captaincy and have it given to a newcomer.

I'm sure in hindsight he would've spent those 3 years in Manhattan (giving him a solid 13/14 years with NYR) and said **** the money.

He definitely didn't learn his lesson because his reason for re-joining the Rangers was the money that they offered to him in 2000.

The Canucks' plan was to buy out his contract, spending $2 million to do so, and then re-signing him at a lower price so that the team could save some money in the midst of their financial crisis.
Messier, Burke schedule meeting: [Final Edition]
Prince George Citizen [Prince George, B.C] 08 Feb 2000: 9.

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Vancouver Canuck general manager Brian Burke plans to meet with Mark Messier Thursday to discuss comments the veteran captain made during the all-star break that he expects to be traded before the NHL season ends.

"I have made this clear," Burke said Monday. "Mark has a no trade (clause) and I'm not going to ask him to waive it. What other thoughts Mark or I have, I'll sit down with him on Thursday."

Burke refused to say if Messier has asked to be traded.

"If Mark had made a request like that I certainly wouldn't share that with you," he said.

This weekend in Toronto Messier was asked if he'd be surprised by a trade before the NHL's March deadline.

"No, that wouldn't surprise me," Messier told the Vancouver Province.

"I don't know how this will play out. But whatever happens, I want it handled in a professional manner. This franchise has been through a lot in the last two years and it doesn't need another black eye. I don't want this turning into a sideshow."

Asked if he was surprised by Messier's comments, Burke said: "I wouldn't say that."

Messier, 39, is in the final season of a three-year, $18-million US contract. Vancouver owns a two-year option on Messier at $6 million US a year. A buyout would cost Vancouver $1 million US for each year.

Messier warming to idea of staying with Canucks: [Final Edition]
Nanaimo Daily News [Nanaimo, B.C] 20 Mar 2000: B3.

VANCOUVER (CP) -- The Vancouver Canucks are in the middle of a youth movement, and 39-year-old captain Mark Messier apparently wants to stay here to lead it.

Messier's future with the Canucks is still far from certain. But conversations with Messier over the weekend indicate he'd like nothing more than to sign a new deal during the summer and finish his career here.

"I could see that happening," said Messier. "I don't know what will happen but I'm enjoying myself here. It's a good place to play. The city, the facilities are good and the club is definitely moving in the right direction. I feel comfortable with the surroundings. I like the management, the coaching staff, the young players."

Messier signed a three-year, $18-million US contract in July 1997. The contract included a clause that gave the Canucks the option on two more years or the right to buy Messier out for $2 million US and let him walk as an unrestricted free agent.

Recently, Canucks president and general manager Brian Burke told Messier the club would opt for the latter, because they're trying to reduce their payroll.

But they'll try to sign Messier for less money when he's a free agent this summer, and Messier's talk now is music to Burke's ears.

"I'm very pleased with the way this has worked out," said Burke. "We've been honest with Mark and accorded him the respect he deserves. Now there's a chance he'll come back. I'm excited about that.

"There's money left in the budget to sign Mark but it's way too early to handicap our chances."

There is a possibility that another NHL team will make an offer for both dollars and length of contract that Messier can't refuse. But Messier wouldn't say this weekend what kind of money he'd be looking for.

"I haven't thought about that yet," said Messier when asked what it would take to retain his services. "I'd prefer to sit down in the summer and discuss it. Obviously, I'm not going to rule out anything. I'll talk to Vancouver. I'll be a free agent and I'll definitely look at offers."

Messier says he's aware of the financial constraints Canadian teams face. He understands Burke's decision last Tuesday to trade veteran Alexander Mogilny and his $5.2-million US contract (for 2000- 2001) to New Jersey for a pair of 24-year-old forwards, Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison.

"Something is starting to develop. We're stockpiling some young talent and it's kind of exciting."
Burke likes Messier's plan: The Canucks' captain said he would like to play here another season, after three poor years, to be part of the team's turnaround.: [Final Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 18 Mar 2000: C2.

"I probably could have gone out and talked to some other teams and solidified myself [financially] for the next year or two," Messier said of his refusal to demand a trade at Tuesday's deadline. "But that's really not that important to me. I'll play the year here and I'll talk to Vancouver in the summertime. Putting money completely aside, I'll see whether they want me back just as a hockey player. But I think it's more important to know they want me back as a player contributor and then try and work out something with the salary."

The Canucks, who lost $91.9 million Cdn over the last four seasons, are under pressure to trim their payroll and shed Alex Mogilny and his $5.2-million US 2000-01 salary on Tuesday.

But Burke retained Messier, who is making $6 million US this season and has two option years at that amount, hoping the Canucks will be able to re-sign him for less this summer after paying a $2- million US buyout.

Messier, 39, would be an unrestricted free agent and could go anywhere he wants, but is willing to consider dropping his salary into the $2-3 million US range to stay with the Canucks.

Messier told The Sun he is having fun playing for the Canucks and, having been part of three losing seasons, wants to be around for the club's turnaround.

Owner John McCaw has instructed him to try keeping Messier, and money has been budgeted for a renegotiation of the 39- year-old's contract.

"We've always left room in there to try to keep Mark," assistant general manager and chief negotiator Dave Nonis said.

Canucks would use Messier $$$ to build roster: Vancouver general manager Brian Burke is still not convinced his captain won't return.: [Final Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 06 July 2000: F3.

Despite the fact his team has reported massive financial losses, Vancouver Canuck general manager Brian Burke said Wednesday he will not sit on the money saved if captain Mark Messier leaves the organization as a free agent.

The Canucks have offered Messier a new deal, believed to be for one year and somewhere between $2.5-$3 million US. Vancouver has already paid Messier a $2 million US buyout to escape the heavy $6 million US price tag on his option years. Messier is expected to land with the New York Rangers.

Ranger GM Glen Sather told a conference call in New York that he spoke twice to Doug Messier, Mark's father-agent, on Wednesday. They likely weren't talking about the weather.

"If Mess doesn't come back, we don't intend to put that money in the bank," Burke said at a gathering to showcase prize recruits Daniel and Henrik Sedin. "It will free up some money, not just for free agents but to trade for a more experienced player. But I don't think Mark Messier's departure is as imminent as some of you guys do. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on. It's his call."

Burke, whose team lost $25 million Cdn last season, admitted that the free agent crop doesn't excite him and that he has not tendered an offer to anyone other than Messier.

"I look at the age of some of the players who are signing and I look at my team and I say `well, who would they take minutes away from?' " Burke explained. "If we sign Igor Larionov [39], who loses the minutes? I always come back to Harold Druken loses the minutes or Artem Chubarov loses the minutes or Josh Holden loses the minutes and it doesn't make sense to me. It really doesn't.

"So when I saw the list, I wasn't excited and I'm still not."

Messier leaves Canucks waiting: [Final Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 05 July 2000: F1 / FRONT.

After four days of NHL free agency, the Vancouver Canucks do not know where they stand in their attempts to re-sign captain Mark Messier.

Canuck general manager Brian Burke, back Tuesday from a fishing trip, admitted he has not heard a word from the Messier camp.

"No, I haven't heard from them but I don't expect a call until they're ready to go," Burke said. "Mark knows our level of interest. I won't be offended if they don't call with daily updates and I won't be offended if the next call I get is from them saying Mark is going to New York or Phoenix or where ever."

Rangers sign Messier, expected to make it official today: Two-year deal will give the veteran centre more money over that term than he has ever made.: [Final Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 13 July 2000: F1 / FRONT.

He has returned.

After weeks of speculation, the New York Rangers have re-signed Mark Messier, the Manhattan folk-hero who led his team to the 1994 Stanley Cup but bolted three years ago to the Vancouver Canucks for three lucrative, losing seasons. The Rangers are expected to make it official today.

And at age 39, with his most robust, productive years long passed, Messier will collect more money than in any of his previous 21 National Hockey League seasons.

Messier, who made $6 million (US) in each of his three seasons in Vancouver, will earn a minimum of $11 million to play for the Rangers the next two seasons.

Including the $2 million Messier pocketed last month when the Canucks bought out the final two years of a five-year contract, and an attainable bonus-clause of $1 million with the Rangers, the future Hall-of-Fame centre likely will gross $14 million for what are expected to be his final two seasons in the NHL.

The Canucks, who as a courtesy to Messier left a $3 million, one- year offer on the table even when it became apparent he was returning to the Rangers, now have to fill holes at first-line centre and in leadership.

"It's not a revelation," Canuck assistant general manager Dave Nonis said Wednesday as news of Messier's imminent signing filtered out of New York. "I don't think he looked hard [to sign elsewhere]. If he signs with New York, I would not be surprised.

Messier makes a promise: [Final Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. Prince George Citizen [Prince George, B.C] 14 July 2000: 11.

NEW YORK -- On the day he wore a New York Ranger jersey for the first time in more than three years, Mark Messier promised what he was unable to deliver as a Vancouver Canuck during his exile from Manhattan: A playoff berth.

"I'll guarantee you we'll make the playoffs," Messier, 39, said Thursday during an emotion-packed New York press conference. "I don't think anybody will be disappointed in the next two years."

Later, in a conference call with Vancouver reporters, Messier conceded his biggest regret was failing to make the playoffs with the Canucks and leaving the National Hockey League club before having another chance to do so.

Messier, bought out of the remaining two years of his contract in Vancouver by general manager Brian Burke, rejected the Canucks' compromise offer of $3 million US for one season to sign a two-year deal with the Rangers worth a minimum of $11 million.

"I had a lot of time to think about it," Messier said. "If I didn't sign in New York, I would have been coming back to Vancouver. I'm very disappointed we weren't able to see it through.

"When I went to Vancouver, I felt it was the right thing to do in my heart," he said. "And it feels the same way leaving there."
The idea of staying with Vancouver at a reduced rate and "finishing the job" flew out the window as soon as the Rangers offered Messier a big bag of cash.
Works Cited

MacIntyre, Iain. "Burke Likes Messier's Plan: The Canucks' Captain Said He would Like to Play here another Season, After Three Poor Years, to be Part of the Team's Turnaround." The Vancouver Sun: C2. Mar 18 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "Messier Makes a Promise." Prince George Citizen: 11. Jul 14 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "Rangers Sign Messier, Expected to make it Official Today: Two-Year Deal Will Give the Veteran Centre More Money Over that Term than He has Ever made." The Vancouver Sun: F1 / FRONT. Jul 13 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

"Messier, Burke Schedule Meeting." Prince George Citizen: 9. Feb 08 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

"Messier Warming to Idea of Staying with Canucks." Nanaimo Daily News: B3. Mar 20 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Pap, Elliott. "Canucks would use Messier $$$ to Build Roster: Vancouver General Manager Brian Burke is Still Not Convinced His Captain Won't Return." The Vancouver Sun: F3. Jul 06 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Pap, Elliott. "Messier Leaves Canucks Waiting." The Vancouver Sun: F1 / FRONT. Jul 05 2000. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Last edited by a moderator:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The Canucks' plan was to buy out his contract, spending $2 million to do so, and then re-signing him at a lower price so that the team could save some money in the midst of their financial crisis.

Wait a minute...

By 2000, though, Burke had had enough and bought out Messier.

So what you're saying is that Burke did not have enough Messier, wanted him back, and that this thread is really How Vancouver Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Their Cancer? I mean, yeah, Messier's the devil and all that jazz, but why would someone buy-out a $6 million team cancer with the plan of turning them into a $4 million team cancer ($3 million salary + $1 million buy-out)? You don't usually see people that eager to hold onto their cancer.

Or am I misreading this thread, and this whole cancer nonsense was an astrology reference all along? Does Messier have crab-like qualities? Was he born between June 22 and July 22?

JA

Wait a minute...

So what you're saying is that Burke did not have enough Messier, wanted him back, and that this thread is really How Vancouver Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Their Cancer? I mean, yeah, Messier's the devil and all that jazz, but why would someone buy-out a $6 million team cancer with the plan of turning them into a $4 million team cancer ($3 million salary + $1 million buy-out)? You don't usually see people that eager to hold onto their cancer.

Or am I misreading this thread, and this whole cancer nonsense was an astrology reference all along? Does Messier have crab-like qualities? Was he born between June 22 and July 22?

Not quite.

Removing Keenan and hiring Burke was the best decision the Canucks made during this period, as Burke's iron grip on the team meant Messier could no longer have as much of an influence from a managerial perspective.

The fact that Messier had previously tried to run the team as a de facto manager alongside Keenan, in addition to his behavior during this period, uprooting the whole roster and working with Keenan to plant rumors and create disunity, were some of the biggest problems with him. With his actions he plunged the team into major financial trouble for a few years by creating an untrustworthy brand. Attendance went back up once he was gone. You can't deny all of the anecdotal evidence from Pat Quinn and other players.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=8756
Average Yearly Attendance (GM Place, 1995-96 to 2001-02):

1995-96: 17,796
1996-97: 17,320
1997-98: 16,957
1998-99: 15,802
1999-00: 14,641
2000-01: 17,026
2001-02: 17,712
Turning over Leafs with quintessential coach FEATURING: Pat Quinn / Toronto boss Ken Dryden was always preaching newness, then he turned to the stogie-smoking, meat-eating embodiment of old-time hockey.
Gare, Joyce. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 04 July 1998: A.15.

"There were mixed messages . . . an unmanageable situation really," Quinn said. "In the summer of 1996, ownership was pushing me to cut the payroll. Then the push came to sign Wayne Gretzky. When we weren't able to sign Wayne that summer, [Orca Bay] thought that we needed a name. That meant the next summer the push was to sign Mark Messier."

Messier was supposed to fill a leadership void -- at least that's the way it was imagined by marketing types who had only ever ventured into the Canucks' room for autographs. Messier, in fact, created a leadership void, a space previously occupied by the general manager.

"Messier was consulted by ownership on personnel decisions," Quinn said. "When that happens, it's deadly."
"Pavel Bure: The Riddle of the Russian Rocket said:
The Canucks only won one of their next 12 games and players continued to anonymously leak details about angry confrontations between Keenan and his players. On January 30, in a long article in the Vancouver Sun, Gary Mason revealed more details of discord, describing an incident in which Donald Brashear challenged his coach to duke it out on the bench, and a heated verbal exchange between Odjick and Keenan that was sparked when Keenan sarcastically described Odjick as "one of Pat Quinn's boys."

The revelations didn't sit well with Messier, who kept tabs on what the press was saying by having clippings delivered to him daily. Messier sounded off in an interview with Mason, calling the leaks "completely gutless." He disputed that Keenan's tongue-lashing of Linden in St. Louis was extreme. "Sure, it's tough, but you have to be able to accept criticism and accept the truth." He also denied, as some believed, that he was a GM disguised as a captain. "My allegiance has always been toward the players. I have nothing to do with player personnel on this team or who's going where."

Messier's comments rang hollow. Rather than defend his teammates, he had been silent when Keenan began his verbal assaults, and contrary to his claim of noninvolvement in personnel decisions, Messier actually had considerable input on player moves. As early as training camp, he had talked to Renney about players he felt were of no value to the team. As Quinn told Toronto's Globe and Mail in 1998, "Messier was consulted by ownership on personnel decisions. When that happens it's deadly."

In fact, the entire episode was filled with duplicity, as Keenan himself, rather than his players, had actually been the source of some of the leaks. It appeared Keenan was actually attempting to foster a sense of paranoia and mistrust in order to increase his control. The tactic worked. Alarmed by the dissension, Orca Bay gave Keenan a promotion in late January that gave him the power to make trades. He had become the de facto GM.
This ended when Burke was hired, and Keenan, of course, got the boot. Messier's poor influence was reduced to his on-ice effort level. Off ice, Messier became less of a distraction; that said, with no other veterans really left on the team Messier could say what he wanted to the kids.

After the 1997-98 debacle, Messier was simply an old, ineffective, lazy player on a bottom-dwelling team that he and Keenan were responsible for creating.

Some players such as Markus Naslund valued Messier's time with the team. By 2000 he had been "tamed" so that he was not barking at the GM or the coach about what he should do. If he would have done the same things that he did under Keenan (and Renney/Quinn), Burke would have sent him packing. Messier was simply a veteran voice by that time, and familiarity with him was something Burke likely valued in terms of maintaining consistency within the leadership group. Clearly the rest of Vancouver was calling for Messier to leave. In that sense, he finally gave Canucks fans what they wanted; at the same time, within the dressing room he had started something and decided not to see it through all the way.

It was also McCaw who specifically instructed Burke to try to keep Messier.
Burke now in full control: New general manager of the Vancouver Canucks leaves no doubt he is in total control of the hockey operations of the franchise. He's also pleased his head coach is Mike Keenan.: [Final Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 June 1998: F3 / FRONT.

Resolute, charismatic and passionate, Burke delivered Monday a manifesto about the new Vancouver Canucks, of whom he was officially named general manager during a downtown press conference.

Mike Keenan will stay with the organization but is strictly the coach. Period.

Captain Mark Messier will play better, and won't be making any trades. Period.

Many are expecting titanic clashes between Keenan and the equally strong-minded Burke, although the new general manager made it clear he believes they will co-exist and flourish.

But it is also clear who will go if someone must.

"Much has been written about Mike Keenan," Burke said, voluntarily raising the coach-manager issue. "I want to be crystal clear; I have been given complete authority over the hockey operations. That said, I'm thrilled Mike Keenan is coaching.

"I have no problem with Mike personally or professionally. There will be no buyout of Mike Keenan. He is the coach and will coach the hockey team. It's not something I've been saddled with; it's something I've been blessed with."

Told that Keenan spoke often last season about the merits of the Detroit Red Wings' management structure, which allowed coach Scotty Bowman to control player personnel, Burke said: "That's not our model. I'll accept input from Mike and value it, but I have authority to make decisions.

"I think it's important for Mike and I to make sure everyone knows what the boundaries are. They will be clear."

Those boundaries will be clear in the dressing room, as well, as Burke emphasized that players shall concern themselves only with what happens on the ice.

Last season, Messier was criticized by ex-teammate Gino Odjick for overstepping his role as captain and using his friendship with Keenan to orchestrate the trade of teammates.

"I will simplify his life," Burke said of Messier. "All he has to do is play. All Mark Messier is going to be for me is a player, and he is a great player. We need Mark to play better than he did last year. I think he can and will. I don't see any change in his ability as a leader. Maybe his minutes get reduced, but that's up to Mike Keenan. We need Mark to bounce back and have a better year."

"Inmates don't run the asylum..."

Keenan didn't last very long under Burke.
It's time to end Canucks circus: Keenan, Burke had uneasy trust from the outset: [National Edition]
National Post [Don Mills, Ont] 26 Jan 1999: B17.

The circus must end now. The firing of Canucks coach Mike Keenan and the hiring of Marc Crawford draws to a close one of the sorriest and ugliest chapters in the history of the franchise. It's been a 15-month soap opera that began with the firing of then-GM Pat Quinn in November 1997, and ended this weekend when the relationship between Keenan and current GM Brian Burke was mercifully, terminated. That's enough. Now Burke has the mountainous task of regaining the trust of fans alienated during this period, rebuilding a hockey team that has many flaws and re-establishing respect for a team and organization that has become somewhat of a joke.

Most troubling is how the situation got to this point. It was clear from the outset there was an uneasy trust between the two. Burke did not like or respect Keenan before he took over as GM. Questions will also remain about how effective Keenan was in Vancouver.

In the end, his firing didn't have as much to do with the job he was doing behind the bench as the tangible mistrust between him and Burke, who was not going to make progress with this organization until he had a coach he felt comfortable with. It's too bad that three-quarters of a season was essentially wasted before this inevitable conclusion was reached.

When you add this latest controversy to what the Canuck fan has had to endure the last two years it is mind-boggling. And Orca Bay owner John McCaw must assume full responsibility.

More bizarre was the notion of a coach changing a hockey team while a search for a general manager was under way. You had the prospect of a coach handing over a team to someone else after radically changing it in his likeness. What if the new GM had a different vision? Which, to an extent, is what happened.

Keenan's goals were more short term, win now, while Burke clearly was in favour of building a Cup contender for the future.

The search for a GM was another sideshow, as Orca Bay courted the likes of Glen Sather and others. Eventually, the job was given to Burke, who arrived with a refreshing, no-nonsense attitude and a promise that he would bring stability to an organization in shambles.

Which led, ultimately, to the next spectacle: Burke's much- maligned travelling roadshow to try and drum up interest in his precious, if slightly flawed, commodity. Meantime, the season began with more empty seats than people had seen in ages.

Keenan speaks out after firing, defends record with Canucks
The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 03 Feb 1999: S.2.

Vancouver -- Mike Keenan "just can't understand" why he was fired as the Vancouver Canucks' coach just two games after Pavel Bure was traded and wishes his ousting "had been handled better" by the National Hockey League club.

Keenan, writing in his weekly column in The Sporting News, defended his record with the struggling team and said he had no problems working with Canucks general manager Brian Burke.

"But in many ways, it appears Burke had his mind made up right from the beginning," Keenan said in his first public comments about his Jan. 24 firing.

Keenan was replaced by Marc Crawford in a messy departure that dragged through the weekend. Rumours began to swirl on radio talk shows Friday night, and a local newspaper said the coach was gone Saturday. But Burke didn't officially tell Keenan he was fired until Sunday afternoon.

"It's unfortunate how this all came down. I wish this had been handled better," Keenan said.

In announcing his decision, Burke voiced harsh criticism of Keenan, calling the season "an unmitigated disaster" since Christmas and saying he had "issues with the way our hockey club has been coached."

The scary thing to think about is that the gutting of the team in 1997-98 might have been an attempt for Keenan to win short term. By all accounts, reports are that the practices under Keenan were pathetic. The team lacked defensive structure. It's quite possible that all of the moves Keenan was doing (with Messier's advice) were not for the sake of a rebuild and that he really had no idea what he was doing.

Here are all of the transactions pre-Burke:

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2011/7/11/2269136/history-of-canucks-trades-and-signings-1970-present
January 1998: To Vancouver: Sean Burke, Geoff Sanderson and Enrico Ciccone
To Carolina: Martin Gelinas and Kirk McLean.

February 1998: To Buffalo: Geoff Sanderson
To Vancouver: Brad May and a 3rd round pick in 1999 (Rene Vydareny).

To Philadelphia: Mike Sillinger
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1998 Draft (Garret Prosofsky)

To Vancouver: Peter Zezel
To New Jersey: 2nd round pick in 1998 (Anton But)

To Islanders: Trevor Linden
To Vancouver: Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and a 3rd round pick in 1998 (Jarko Ruutu)

March 1998: To Boston: Grant Ledyard
To Vancouver: 8th round pick in 1998 (Curtis Valentine)

To Philadelphia: Sean Burke
To Vancouver: Garth Snow

To Toronto: Lonny Bohonos
To Vancouver: Brandon Convery

To Islanders: Gino Odjick
To Canucks: Jason Strudwick

To Philly: Dave Babych
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1998 (Justin Morrison)
Keenan and Messier didn't really do anything useful aside from the Linden trade. All of the other trades were lateral moves. Trading the 2nd round pick that year away to New Jersey for Peter Zezel is not a rebuilding move.

Then there's Messier complaining that the "bad ice" is the reason for the poor play of the Canucks...
Memo to Messier: Just shut up: [Final Edition]
Taylor, Don. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 31 Mar 1998: A33.

I've compiled a list of five things I'm getting sick and tired of hearing from pro athletes. I call it the "Just-shut-your-mouth-go-out-and-play-your-little- game-and-collect- your-big-paycheck-and-while-you're-at-it-learn- the-meaning-of-the-wo rd-`considerate'-list". The "Shut-your-mouth- list" for short. Before I go further, let me say I admire pro athletes. Heck, I'm almost 40 years old and I still dream of being one. Pro athletes get to be rich and famous. They're real-life heroes. Kids love them. So do members of the opposite sex -- which, probably more than anything else, explains why I still dream of being a pro athlete.

But, all too often lately, something will come out of an athlete's mouth that makes me think only people with the intelligence of a sofa get paid in sports.

They come up with comments that make me want to go up to some multi-millionaire superstar and say "Just shut your mouth, go out and play your little game and collect your big paycheck. And while you're at it, learn the meaning of the word `considerate.' See how easy it is to come up with a name for a list?

I put together the "Shut-your-mouth" list after hearing what Mark Messier had to say last Tuesday after Vancouver Canucks' game against the New York Islanders. That's when Messier, who played horribly that night, complained about the ice at GM Place. "We have the worst ice in the league," Messier said. "We've got guys who excel on great ice. There isn't any excuse for it and it's got to be fixed. Yeah, we've gone to management about it."

So that's what's wrong with the Canucks! Bad ice. Their nightmare season can be blamed on the GM Place maintenance crew. Not John McCaw, Mike Keenan or Pat Quinn. And certainly not Messier. No, the problem has to do with some guy making eight bucks an hour holding a rubber hose.

Memo to Mark: Sure the ice at GM Place is bad. But guess what? The Canucks aren't the only team that has to play on it.

Messier's weak comment falls into the No. 1 category on the "Shut- your-mouth" list: Athletes who complain about playing conditions after a poor performance. Here are the others:

1. Players who use the word "insulted" in response to a contract offer that would make the Sultan of Brunei jealous. Do you know what I'm insulted by? Spoiled brats.

3. Players who say, "I'm tired of losing. I want to be traded to a contender." My response: "If you're tired of losing, why don't you stay positive, work harder and turn the team you're with into a contender. Or would that take too much patience and class?"

4. An NBA favorite: Players who say the tax situation in Canada sucks. I'll tell you what sucks. Not knowing what it's like to be taxed on a seven-figure income.

5. Players who thank God for helping their team win. So, what did God do for the team you beat?

Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed the "shut-your-mouth" list. If you didn't, please keep in mind I wrote it down while skating at GM Place. Damn crappy ice.
Ice leaves Mess cold: Now captain's blaming the rink for Canucks play: [Final Edition]
Chapman, Paul. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 26 Mar 1998: A80 / FRONT.

The worst in the league. ...

Harsh words from Mark Messier.

But make no mistake, the Vancouver captain isn't stating the obvious about the standings-challenged Canucks.

He's pointing the finger at the GM Place ice. Messier slammed the ice, saying their million-dollar talent is suffering on a dime- store surface. But the man in charge of the ice says Messier is offside.

"I didn't like his comments," said Mark Wohl, Supervisor of Plant Operations. "The ice is not the worst in the league. We've had our problems, but it's no worse than the ice in Philly or Chicago, New York or any of the other places where they have multiple events.

"When Messier says things like that it brings down the whole crew. We're trying to get the best sheet of ice for them, too."

Messier lambasted the GM Place ice as the NHL's shoddiest after Tuesday's game against the New York Islanders, warning the problem "has to be addressed."

What drew Messier's wrath was that the ice for Tuesday's game had been covered by tons of wood, chairs and a mammoth stage for two weeks due to Sunday's Juno Awards.

"We have 250 events in here a year," he said. "When the floor is covered and you have forklifts going in and out it takes its toll.

Here are all of the acquisitions and trades that Burke orchestrated between July 1998 and June 2000.
July 1998: Canucks sign UFA Murray Baron.

October 1998: To Vancouver: Trent Klatt
To Philadelphia: 6th round pick in 2000 (Roman Cechmanek?).

December 1998: Vancouver claimed Harry York off waivers from Pittsburgh.

January 1999: Vancouver traded Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference and Canucks' 3rd round pick in 1999 or 2000 (2000, Robert Fried) to Florida for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's 1st round pick in the 1999 or 2000 Draft (2000, Nathan Smith).

February 1999: Vancouver traded Chris McAllister to Toronto for Darby Hendrickson.

Vancouver claimed Steve Washburn off waivers from Florida.

March 1999: Vancouver traded Jamie Hushcroft to Phoenix for future considerations.

June 1999: Vancouver signed Alfie Michaud as a FA.

Vancouver traded Bryan McCabe and a 1st round pick in either 2000 or 2001 (2000, Pavel Vorobiev) to Chicago for a 1st round pick in 1999.

July 1999: Canucks sign UFA Andrew Cassels.

August 1999: Canucks sign free agents Doug Bodger and Martin Gendron.

September 1999: Vancouver claimed Chris Joseph off waivers from Ottawa.

October 1999: (Detroit claimed Manny Legace off waivers from Vancouver.)

Atlanta traded Corey Schwab to Vancouver for a cond. pick in 2000 (Round 2, Libor Ustrnal).

December 1999: Islanders traded Felix Potvin and 2nd and 3rd round (Thatcher Bell) picks in 2000 to Vancouver for Bill Muckalt, Kevin Weekes and Dave Scatchard.

January 2000: New Jersey traded Vadim Sharifjanov to Vancouver for conditional draft picks.

(Phoenix claimed Chris Joseph off waivers from Vancouver.)

March 2000: Vancouver traded Alexander Mogilny to New Jersey for Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison.
Works Cited

Chapman, Paul. "Ice Leaves Mess Cold: Now Captain's Blaming the Rink for Canucks Play." The Province: A80 / FRONT. Mar 26 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Gare, Joyce. "Turning Over Leafs with Quintessential Coach FEATURING: Pat Quinn / Toronto Boss Ken Dryden was always Preaching Newness, then He Turned to the Stogie-Smoking, Meat-Eating Embodiment of Old-Time Hockey." The Globe and Mail: 0. Jul 04 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 Nov. 2014 .

"It's Time to End Canucks Circus: Keenan, Burke had Uneasy Trust from the Outset." National Post: B17. Jan 26 1999. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

"Keenan Speaks Out After Firing, Defends Record with Canucks." The Globe and MailFeb 03 1999. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "Burke Now in Full Control: New General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks Leaves no Doubt He is in Total Control of the Hockey Operations of the Franchise. He's also Pleased His Head Coach is Mike Keenan." The Vancouver Sun: F3 / FRONT. Jun 23 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Taylor, Don. "Memo to Messier: Just Shut Up." The Province: A33. Mar 31 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
With his actions he plunged the team into major financial trouble for a few years by creating an untrustworthy brand.

And yet an arbitrator felt compelled to award Mark Messier $6 million because the value of the Vancouver Canucks franchise increased during Messier's contract.

So that's funny.

JA

And yet an arbitrator felt compelled to award Mark Messier $6 million because the value of the Vancouver Canucks franchise increased during Messier's contract.

So that's funny.
A small increase (and with a ton of hardship on the owner's part), but nonetheless an increase. The following post is organized into two halves: the first few articles demonstrate the losses and amount of money John McCaw pumped into the team during this time. The second half illustrates the growth of the franchise's value between 1993 and 2002. Also, I compare the Canucks' growth with the growth of every other Canadian NHL franchise.
Low Canadian dollar blamed for more losses: [Final Edition]
David Baines, Sun Business Reporter. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 12 Nov 1998: F1 / FRONT.

The Vancouver Canucks lost $36.6 million during the year ending June 30, raising the teams cumulative losses to $56.4 million, team owner Northwest Sports Enterprises Ltd. announced Tuesday.

Financial statements show the team's losses were once again financed by John McCaw, sole shareholder of Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, which owns 86 per cent of Northwest Sports and 100 per cent of GM Place and the Grizzlies.

Last year, McCaw contributed $35 million to Northwest Sports in exchange for preferred shares, raising his total financial aid to the company over the past three years to $68 million.

Canucks' owner has to find more cash: Escalation in salaries: Year- end losses balloon to $33.6-million: [National Edition]
Schreiner, John. National Post [Don Mills, Ont] 12 Nov 1999: C5.

VANCOUVER - John McCaw, the Seattle billionaire who has poured $91.9-million into the Vancouver Canucks since buying the team five years ago, is going to have to come up with more cash to keep it afloat this season.

Northwest Sports Enterprises Ltd., the McCaw-controlled company that owns the team, yesterday reported a $33.6-million loss on revenue of $54.4-million for the year ended June 30, and warned "the company will incur another significant loss in fiscal 2000 due to the challenges of operating a National Hockey League franchise in Canada."

In its annual information form, the company said: "The losses arose primarily because of the continued escalation in players' salaries and unfavourable Canada/U.S. dollar exchange rates."

The losses at Northwest Sports have ballooned since 1995 when, on revenue of $40-million, the company lost $2.5-million. The Vancouver Canucks has become one of the most vociferous of the Canadian NHL teams that are asking for tax breaks or other government help to keep the Canadian teams viable.

The hockey franchise has contributed to its problems by missing the playoffs in each of the past three seasons and by not having a significant playoff run since 1994.

The ticket revenues in the year ended June 30 were $27.1- million, down from $32.6-million the year before.

The team has had some contribution from the rest of the league, including $4.6-million as its share of expansion proceeds -- new teams each pay $80-million (US) and that is divided among existing franchises.

Two new U.S. franchises will join the league next season.

The team also received $3.1-million from an NHL-operated program called the Canadian Currency Assistance Program. The NHL had a total of $8.4-million available under the program last season and four Canadian teams shared it.
Here is what the growth of the team's value looks like between 1993 and 2002.

1993: $61 million
FUZZY FINANCIAL PICTURE; NHL revenues grow despite recession; Part 1: [Final Edition]
MacGregor, Roy. Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 18 Dec 1993: H3.

Using similar criteria, the magazine determined that the Vancouver Canucks are rising in value more quickly than any other hockey franchise - 35.4 per cent in the past year. The Canucks are now worth $61 million. The new arena they are building will increase their value even more.

1994: $69 million.
Most valuable franchise: NFL Cowboys; Expos are lowest- ranked baseball franchise, worth $75 million: [FINAL Edition]
The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 20 Apr 1994: D5.

The remaining Canadian-based NHL clubs were valued at: Toronto Maple Leafs, $77 million; Vancouver Canucks, $69 million; Calgary Flames and Ottawa Senators, $50 million; Edmonton Oilers, $46 million; Quebec Nordiques, $43 million; Winnipeg Jets, $35 million.

After the 1995-96 season: $91 million.
Sports franchise values skyrocketing Survey lists Toronto Blue Jays as leading Canadian club; Montreal Expos decline in value
Milner, Brian. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 02 May 1996: C.13.

Among other Canadian-based teams, the Toronto Maple Leafs ranked 80th among all franchises - and seventh among hockey teams - with a value pegged at $96-million. The Vancouver Canucks came in 84th at $91-million and the Montreal Canadiens were 88th at $86-million. At the bottom end, Ottawa Senators ranked 103rd at $56-million, Calgary 104th at $54-million, and Edmonton Oilers at 109th at $42-million.

1998: $100 million
1999: $96 million
2002: $110 million
Cowboys' worth rated most in pro sports
The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 30 Nov 1998: S.8.

The Montreal Canadiens are seventh in the 27-team NHL at $167-million, Toronto Maple Leafs 11th ($119-million), Vancouver Canucks 19th ($100-million), Ottawa Senators 20th ($94-million), Calgary Flames 25th ($78-million) and Edmonton Oilers 26th ($67-million). The expansion Nashville Predators were not included in the list.

Senators rank low on Forbes' value list: Financial survey of NHL franchises shows Ottawa team overtaxed, Bryden says: [Final Edition 1]
Warren, Ken. The Ottawa Citizen [Ottawa, Ont] 30 Nov 1999: C1 / FRONT.

The Canadiens are considered the most valuable Canadian franchise, sixth overall, at $175 million U.S.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are rated ninth ($151 million), the Vancouver Canucks 21st ($96 million), the Calgary Flames 25th ($78 million) and the Edmonton Oilers 26th ($72 million).

Canucks etc.: [Final Edition]
Kuzma, Ben. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 09 Dec 2002: A31.

According to Forbes magazine, the Canucks are worth more than Edmonton, Buffalo, Calgary and Ottawa.

The Canucks estimated worth is $110 million US while the Senators are worth $95 million, the Flames $94 million, the Sabres $92 million and the Oilers $86 million.

Toronto is the most profitable NHL franchise with an operating profit of $24.2 million US on revenue of $112 million. Washington had the biggest operating loss, $25.4 million on revenue of $61 million. St. Louis was next with an $18-million operating loss on revenue of $70 million.

Detroit is worth $266 million, an increase of 18 per cent over last year. The Rangers, who missed the playoffs, dropped five per cent to second at $263 million.

Toronto is the most valuable Canadian franchise, ranked No. 7 with a value of $241 million. Montreal is ranked No. 10, worth $187 million.

Overall, the value of the team increased by about $21 million from 1996 ($91 million) to 2002 ($110 million). That said, John McCaw poured a ton of money into the team to keep it afloat.

Let's look at the growth of the other Canadian markets during this period. The Leafs jumped up from $96 million to $241 million between 1996 and 2002, while the Habs grew from $86 million to $187 million. The Oilers' value doubles from $42 million to $86 million. The Flames' value increased from $54 million to $94 million. The Senators increased from $56 million to $95 million. In fact, the Canucks experienced the least amount of growth out of any of the Canadian markets during this period.

As of 2014, the Canucks are valued at $800 million. The team was purchased in 2005 at a price of $205 million.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/vancouver-canucks/

Messier was awarded $6 million because of a small growth in the franchise's value that, for the most part, happened after he left town (since he did not play in Vancouver between 2000 and 2002) and that really, in the grand scheme of things, is quite insignificant.
Works Cited

Baines, David. "Low Canadian Dollar Blamed for More Losses." The Vancouver Sun: F1 / FRONT. Nov 12 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

"Cowboys' Worth Rated most in Pro Sports." The Globe and MailNov 30 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Kuzma, Ben. "Canucks etc." The Province: A31. Dec 09 2002. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

MacGregor, Roy. "FUZZY FINANCIAL PICTURE; NHL Revenues Grow Despite Recession; Part 1." Edmonton Journal: H3. Dec 18 1993. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

"Most Valuable Franchise: NFL Cowboys; Expos are Lowest- Ranked Baseball Franchise, Worth $75 Million." The Gazette: D5. Apr 20 1994. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Schreiner, John. "Canucks' Owner has to Find More Cash: Escalation in Salaries: Year- End Losses Balloon to $33.6-Million." National Post: C5. Nov 12 1999. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Warren, Ken. "Senators Rank Low on Forbes' Value List: Financial Survey of NHL Franchises shows Ottawa Team Overtaxed, Bryden Says." The Ottawa Citizen: C1 / FRONT. Nov 30 1999. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
The fact that Messier had previously tried to run the team as a de facto manageralongside Keenan, in addition to his behavior during this period, uprooting the whole roster and working with Keenan to plant rumors and create disunity, were some of the biggest problems with him. With his actions he plunged the team into major financial trouble for a few years by creating an untrustworthy brand. Attendance went back up once he was gone. You can't deny all of the anecdotal evidence from Pat Quinn and other players.

After the 1997-98 debacle, Messier was simply an old, ineffective, lazy player on a bottom-dwelling team that he and Keenan were responsible for creating.

Do you think the anecdotal evidence could be a little biased?

If Messier and Keenan aren't responsible for everything bad that happened in Vancouver than some of the blame falls on Pat Quinn and the former players for creating that bottom dweller? Vancouver did have 3 straight years of declining results before Messier and Keenan arrived.

Were the players who were traded playing well before they were traded? Are they responsible for their own play?
Kirk McLean from .889 and 3.21 to .879 and 3.68 (age 31)
Trevor Linden from 40 pts in 49 GP to 14 pts in 42 GP (age 27)
Martin Gelinas from 68pts in 74GP to 8 pts in 24 GP (age 27)

How big a loss was Pavel Bure during the 98-99 season? Losing one the best players in the entire League, and letting him sit until January before trading him? His holdout and trade was all about ownership and previous management.

Was their a problem in the dressing room prior to Messier's arrival?

@RobTheHockeyGuy @john40carter @JayVCB team was riddled with cliques and leaks to media. Guys would talk “off the record†all the time

— Paul Chapman (@PaulChapman_) September 16, 2014

@RobTheHockeyGuy @john40carter @JayVCB Whispers over the phone to fave media to further their agendas. Once Messier was here, that stopped.

— Paul Chapman (@PaulChapman_) September 16, 2014
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/09/mark-messier-canuck-scapegoat/

It's no secret ownership went to Messier continuously for input on all aspects of the organization, and this vilifies Messier how? When Burke took over he made it clear before he accepted the job from ownership he didn't want Messier involved beyond his role of player and captain. Burke didn't want Messier's input, neither did Glen Sather in Edmonton or NY, Neil Smith did, so did John McCaw, so what? The only players who cared that Messier had ownership's ear were the ones who lost their country club spot of no accountability and were traded to try and turn the franchise around which is exactly what happened.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So basically, Vancouver bought out Messier with the intention of bringing him back at a lower salary, and it's only after he signed with another team (as an unrestricted free agent) that he became a cancer retroactively?

Or am I reading that wrong?

I tend to be on the side of "fans of other teams shouldn't tell fans of team X how to feel about their ex-players" but.... at least part of the reason Vancouver was pissed at Messier is because they were trying to bring him back (at a lower salary) and he chose not to come back???

JA

So basically, Vancouver bought out Messier with the intention of bringing him back at a lower salary, and it's only after he signed with another team (as an unrestricted free agent) that he became a cancer retroactively?

Or am I reading that wrong?

I tend to be on the side of "fans of other teams shouldn't tell fans of team X how to feel about their ex-players" but.... at least part of the reason Vancouver was pissed at Messier is because they were trying to bring him back (at a lower salary) and he chose not to come back???

Not exactly, TDMM.

His departure from Vancouver had very little to do with the fans' feelings about him or recollection of him. The hate towards him was expressed throughout his tenure in Vancouver; I think the only people who liked him were Brian Burke, Marc Crawford and the young players; from what I've read, Crawford was a yes-man to Messier, allowing him to say or do as he pleased. They seemed to value his leadership in the dressing room, but as a player he brought nothing and if not for his reputation across the rest of the hockey world, I don't think he would have been as accepted. If any other player had done what he did, I don't think he would have been there for long.

Fans booed right from the start. Eventually fans just stopped showing up, and those who continued to go to games still booed. Some fans gave up their season tickets. When The Province asked fans what the team should do with Messier, many stated that he should either retire or the team should trade him. Fans wanted him gone. There was never any desire from anyone outside of management and his teammates to have him remain a Canuck. The sooner he was gone, the better.
Sore elbow behind Messier's frustrating season Vancouver Canucks' fans boo team captain who is averaging less than a point a game
Kerr, Grant. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 26 Mar 1998: S.3.

VANCOUVER -- Mark Messier has been fumbling with the puck for several weeks because of a sore arm. Now the proud captain of the Vancouver Canucks must fight back the disappointment of being jeered by fickle fans at GM Place.

Messier heard the boo birds this week and admitted he's having a hard time playing up to even his own standards, let alone the expectations of fans after signing a three-year, $20-million (U.S.) contract.

Vancouver fans shocked long-time observers Tuesday when they suddenly turned on Messier, 37, and booed him in the second period after the centre took the puck away from unsuspecting teammate Brian Noonan in the offensive zone against the New York Islanders. The play was innocent enough and the two players seemed to joke about it later on the bench.

But fans were in no mood for frivolity as they've come to expect much more from the veteran of 19 seasons in the National Hockey League. Messier is averaging less than a point a game for the first time since the 1984-85 season.

"It's been a frustrating month for myself, playing with my [sore] elbow," Messier said later. "I don't have any qualms about [the booing]. I expect a lot of myself and it's been a tough month.

"There's been no time to sit out and rest. When you play injured and you're not 100 per cent, you open yourself to some criticism and that's part of the game. You have to be big enough and strong enough to stand up to the criticism that comes your way when you're not playing up to your ability."

Against the Islanders, the durable Messier was on the ice for two goals against and was minus one for the game. He's played in all 72 Vancouver contests this season, scoring 21 goals and assisting on 33 others for 54 points. Messier is an uncharacteristic minus 12 for goals scored at even strength.

"We have the worst ice in the league," Messier said. "We've got guys that would excel on great ice. I don't think there's any excuse for it and it has to be addressed."

Meantime, coach Mike Keenan of the Canucks has not rested Messier because Vancouver (22-37-13) still has a slim but mathematical change of making the playoffs in the Western Conference.

"We have 10 games left and have to break it down one game at a time," Messier added. "The good thing is we play Edmonton twice, Calgary twice, San Jose and Toronto."

Vancouver plays its next four games at home against Buffalo (tonight), Washington, Edmonton and Dallas. Messier's contributions will obviously be closely monitored by demanding fans, on good ice or bad.
Vancouver's White Whale in deep water: [1 Edition]
Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 24 Aug 1999: 1.

The Grizzlies may well be the NBA's worst team while Mark Messier's Canucks may be better only than the total-disaster Tampa Bay Lightning.

Unlike hockey fans in Toronto, those in Vancouver (enough of them to notice, anyway) actually stay away when their team stinks.

'Hawks appreciate Canuck gifts: A far-from-super Sunday crowd watches Vancouver commit a series of mistakes to hand Chicago the win.: [Final C Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 31 Jan 2000: F1 / FRONT.

For the second straight Sunday, the Canucks lost to a team below them in the National Hockey League standings, a remarkable feat given the fact hardly anyone is behind them.

The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Canucks 3-1 at GM Place, fouling the mood of the 12,126 patrons who chose not to join the billion or so others on the planet basking in the afterglow of Sunday's Super Bowl.

It was the second-smallest hockey crowd in the short, bleak history of the arena, which was good news considering how the home team played.

Coming off an emotional, convincing 4-1 win Friday against the San Jose Sharks and with a chance to close within four points of a playoff spot, the Canucks, inexplicably, were flat.

After amassing 57 hits against the Sharks, the Canucks had only 20 against the Blackhawks, who took advantage of some brutal defensive breakdowns to score all their goals in the final eight minutes of the second period.

It's like the Canucks spent the afternoon on the couch Hoovering dip and watching football, then suddenly found themselves bloated when it came time to play hockey. Or maybe it was their confidence that was bloated in the wake of Friday's victory, their first of the year on home ice.

"You can't wait for other guys to do what you should be doing," defenceman Adrian Aucoin said. "That might have been the case tonight. Jason Strudwick going out there and pounding that guy [Blackhawk Ryan Vandenbussche, early in the first period]; we should have taken that opportunity to get going. I don't know what we're waiting for."

"It reminded me of two games ago against Nashville," goalie Garth Snow said of the dismal 2-1 loss last Sunday after which coach Marc Crawford vowed passion and emotion would never again be questions for his team. "We talked about it before the game, that all the teams we're competing for in the playoffs [lost Saturday]. This was a good opportunity for us to gain some ground. We've just got to play with more intensity every game... The season just doesn't go on and on; the games are limited, how many are left?"

But the losing seems to go on and on.

"When you don't get the puck deep, don't forecheck, don't play the body and try to get cute, that's when mistakes happen," Canuck Trent Klatt said. "There's got to be more urgency from everyone.

"It's embarrassing when they boo."

The fans had the last word.
No cure for what ails Canucks: Looks like they're getting on a roll for an early summer: [Final C Edition]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Feb 2000: A54.

For the Vancouver Canucks there ain't no cure for the wintertime Blues. Or the boos.

The St. Louis Blues continued their mastery of the Canucks, beating them 5-2 Thursday night at GM Place. The Blues now are 12-0- 0 against Vancouver since Dec. 15, 1996, and 13-0-2 this year against Canadian NHL teams.

But those other Canadian teams at least still have a shot at the postseason. Despite all the gotta-get-on-a-roll rhetoric we hear from the Canucks these desperate days, these winter blues mean another early summer. With just 30 games left, this 15-27-10-6 team needs a modern-day miracle to make the playoffs. Forget about it.

The Canucks worked hard. But that's the problem. They work hard and they still don't win.

Instead they get booed. The fans booed them off the ice after the third period. At least nobody threw a fish.

It was a shaky night for goalie Garth Snow. He gave up five goals on just 17 shots in 46:40 of work. Corey Schwab replaced him for 1:40 of the third period. Snow got the Bronx cheer a few times after he made a routine save.

"I'm sure the fans are as frustrated as we are," said Snow.
Just get it over with: Canucks should trade Messier as soon as possible: [Final Edition]
Willes, Ed. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 11 Feb 2000: A52 / FRONT.

In Mark Messier's three years in Vancouver, the Canucks have finished last in the Western Conference twice and currently sit second from last.

Messier is also concluding the third year of a contract which pays him $6 million US this season. The Canucks own an option on two more years at $6 million US per season. The Canucks' payroll currently sits around the $35-million US mark. The team says it's lost upward of $50 million Cdn over the last two years.

We are painfully aware we've yet to tell you something you don't already know. But, in light of recent developments, we had to assure ourselves we're still talking about the Mark Messier of the year 2000 and not some other guy -- like the Mark Messier of 1985. Over the last couple of days, it has come to the attention of the fifth estate that Messier 2000 might be traded by the Canucks.

"It's a tough situation," Messier said, reiteRating oneis position for the third straight day. "I just want to do the right thing."

Except it's not that tough. Oh, moving a 39-year-old centre with a $6-million US contract is a bit of a chore. And his performance in Wednesday night's 4-3 overtime win over Calgary might give some cause for second thoughts. But this has to be a no-brainer for the Canucks.

The Messier experiment, despite the best efforts of all concerned, has been a dreadful mistake for the franchise. Here is the opportunity to end it. Again, stop me when I tell you something you don't already know.

"I haven't shopped him to any team," said Canucks GM Brian Burke. "I haven't asked him to waive his no-trade clause. Treating Mark with respect is the club's priority."

And that's exactly what Burke should be saying. Publicly at least. He should also be talking about Messier's value as a mentor to the young Canucks -- although you wonder if they have to pay $6 million for an assistant coach.

I mean, how much more evidence do you need?

If the Canucks could turn the Moose into one or two useful baubles, it would be huge coup for the organization.

As it is, it's not a huge story if they trade him. It's a huge story if they don't.
Extolling the virtues of all-star break: [Final Edition]
Tony Gallagher, Vancouver Province. Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 11 Feb 2000: C2.

"Marc has been real good," said Messier. "He'll come to me and tell me not to come to the rink some days. But it's always good to get a break like this. Certainly nobody is going to get out of shape in four days.

"Mark's been the best he's ever been this year about that," said Crawford. "I've talked to his previous coaches and this year he comes and asks for days off when he needs them."

To a man they know with the management people in place and what's gone on with the coaching, there is virtually no hope for improvement in the foreseeable future. Unless the Sedins are truly magnificent, they will be sucked into the abyss just like everyone else.

Trade Mess if we can: We Asked You: What should the Canucks do with Mark Messier?: [Final Edition]
The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 21 Feb 2000: A25.

We should trade Messier to the New Jersey Devils for either Bobby Holik or Brendan Morrison.

Mark Acosta, Richmond

Trade him to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Mats Sundin. Then next season you'd have the line Sundin, Sedin, Sedin.

Mark Hicks, Richmond

We should let Mark Messier go to another team. It's about time he retired anyway.

Bill Muscroft, Burnaby

The outcome of this current road trip should determine the fate of Mark Messier. If the Canucks are still in the hunt for the final playoff spot they should keep Messier because he is a proven playoff performer. But if they go in the tank on this trip they should definitely deal him. The sooner the better.

Clay Andrist, N. Vancouver

Trade Mark Messier and the price of tickets will go down $25.

Alex Podhany, Port Coquitlam

The Canucks need to trade Mark Messier, or he should retire because he's not doing the team any good.

Sherry Cross, Surrey

We should trade Mark Messier. He's been here three years and not much improvement has been made. Hopefully we can trade him to a contender and get something in return while we still can.

Gary Brady, N. Vancouver

The Canucks should ask him to look in the mirror and just find out what he really, really contributes to the Canucks and Vancouver. And do the right thing, walk. I've got a better name for him as well: Jurassic Mark.

Ben Prest, Burnaby

They should cut him and plant flowers in him.

Tim Deegan, Delta

When Messier left Vancouver, fans reflected on his time with the team but opinions had not changed. Overall, his time in Vancouver was viewed as a catastrophic failure.
Good riddance, Mark: We Asked You: Mark Messier came, he saw -- he took his money and bolted, much as he had done when he left the Rangers.: [Final Edition]
The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 24 July 2000: A36.

Messier is nothing more than a hired gun going to the highest bidder. I mean if he now chose to stay here in spite of the Rangers offer, then the press could say all the nice things about him. But to tell us all the nice intangible things he did for Orca Bay is a pack of cod's wallop. He could not have done anything without John McCaw's say so.

What he did deliver in three years with one of the most heavily talented teams was no playoffs, the Mike Keenan era, and one of the unhappiest and most disappointing eras for any Canuck fan.

I am only going by the hard data in front of me and I think Orca Bay did the same thing and only because they were paying him, they had to slip it to him quieter and with a little bit of the grease.

-- Gordon Martin, Delta

MESSIER MADNESS

Hah, pay me $6 million a year to score 15 goals and I could do that with no skates on. The proof is in how the team performed: Since he got here the Canucks have had a losing record.

Need I say more?

What a big rip off and he's off to rip off the Rangers and they deserve him.

-- Gordon Rebelato, Vancouver

Canucks marriage with Messier waste of time: The Moose's signing in 1997 as big a disaster as the Cam Neely deal in 1986: [Final Edition]
Russell, Dan. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 17 Nov 2000: F1 / FRONT.

In fact, whatever is said about Messier's hall of fame career, there should be no hiding the fact that his three years in Vancouver were a disaster. It was probably the biggest mistake made by the Canucks since the trade of Cam Neely. If not the biggest, certainly it was the most expensive.

But John McCaw should have listened closer to his hockey people, who were less than convinced the signing would be good for the team. Instead he paid closer attention to his marketing people, and took the gamble that Messier would succeed here, filling the arena at the same time. They were wrong on both counts.

Seeing Messier in person tonight (perhaps for the final time in Vancouver) is bound to cause many fans to again reflect upon what the Messier era was all about in Vancouver. Here's a good litmus test. Think back and come up with what you consider to be the highlight of Messier's time in a Canuck uniform. If you come up dry you are not alone. Isn't that a pretty sad commentary on his impact here? His most exciting day in Vancouver was probably his first one.

But when the team got off to a terrible start (3-13-2) in his first season, Messier quickly went into damage control. For the first time he claimed publicly that he knew when he signed here that this team would be forced to undergo a rebuilding phase. This of course made zero sense to anyone. First of all, why would an aging Messier want to join a team in that situation?

More important, why would the Canucks invest $20 million U.S. in a proven star, and then decide it might be a good time to gut the team? As it turned out Messier's signing either started, or coincided with, a series of events that would form the two sorriest years in franchise history.

Oh, and did we mention the team's on-ice record? During his three seasons here Messier captained a team that lost 49 more games than it won. In his second year the Canucks finished 24 games under .500. To make matters worse Messier told the media after the final game of the second season that he somehow viewed the year as successful.

"For me that was the final straw", says noted Canuck fan and historian Andrew Castell, who saw every home game the Canucks played from 1970-1998. "I was always with them, win or lose. But what Messier said after that game made me really wonder what was going on? Here I was paying big money to watch this team lose night after night, and I felt insulted that the team captain had actually declared this terrible season a success." Castell gave up his season tickets after those comments, and has yet to return to GM Place.

There are some who claim Messier should be given credit for the Canucks improved play since last February. But there is no way of really knowing. Certainly their charge toward a playoff spot wasn't led by Messier's five goals in the team's final 29 games. If he's truly responsible for the Canucks turnaround, why did it take to the end of Messier's contract for his leadership to translate into victories? Sure the young players revered him. It must have been cool to be in the same NHL dressing room as one of your hockey idols. That's nice, and probably worth something.

Unfortunately his induction will be all about what he did with the Oilers and Rangers, rather than for anything he did for the Canucks.
Boos greet Messier: Held without shot on goal: [Final Edition]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 19 Nov 2000: A70.

"I thought they were yelling `Moooose' to be honest with you," dead-panned Canucks defenceman Ed Jovanovski when asked about the abuse many of the 18,422 GM Place fans hurled at Messier during Vancouver's 4-3 win on Friday.

"No, the way I look at it, it was unfair," continued Jovanovski, who had another monster game against the Rangers.

"Fans have the right to say what they want but Mark's a great guy, a great community guy and fans here should be thankful they had him in Vancouver for three years."

It was a rough night for Messier. During the warmup a few of the fans standing down by the glass in the Rangers end were holding signs.

"Kirk McLean, we miss you," read one, held by a fan of the ex- Canuck and current Ranger backup goalie.

"Mark Messier is the greatest ... for me to poop on," read another sign, held by a guy in a Trevor Linden jersey.

You get the picture. It wasn't pretty.

They booed slightly when he took his first shift. The boos got louder as the game went on, partly because the Canucks jumped out to a 4-1 lead.

"It was an emotional game and I'm really happy we won," said Canucks coach Marc Crawford.

"I'm a little surprised (at the crowd reaction). I don't think he deserved that. I think a lot of it was just because they wanted our team to do well. The fans had great energy. I don't think I've ever heard them give our penalty kill a standing ovation like they did after we killed that 5-on-3 in the second period."

Afterward, Messier praised the Canucks and took the booing in stride.

"I'm happy that they were cheering for the home team and giving them some support," said Messier, who played 15:12 Friday, drew one assist but didn't manage a shot on goal.
Andrew Castell, a hockey historian, memorabilia collector and Canucks "superfan" who went to over 1,300 Canucks games in the team's first 2.9 decades of existence, declared himself after the 1998-99 season to be no longer a fan of the team and that he would never watch another Canucks game.

Here's an article from 2011, during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals that, of course, featured Vancouver:
Ex-superfan 'fed up with nonsense'
Colebourn, John. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 10 June 2011: A.11.

Andrew Castell went from ultimate Canucks superfan to jaded critic a few years after the team's glorious playoff run of 1994.

During those '94 playoffs, Castell was a media darling -everyone wanted to talk to him about his massive memorabilia collection, his absolute loyalty to the team and his home that was a shrine to everything Canucks.

At his home, Castell has a Canucks collection worth at least $500,000 and he figures it could double (or triple) in value if the Canucks take the Holy Grail -the Stanley Cup.

Along the bumpy trip as the Canucks' No. 1 fan since the team debuted in the NHL in 1970 (Castell has a 1970 Game 1 ticket in a frame), he got fed up with the often-mediocre product and poor excuses when it came to losing.

Castell, 51, was at Madison Square Gardens in New York for Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup final and thinks the '94 season was as good as it gets.

He went to a total of 1,300 Canucks games. He soured on the team when Mark Messier left the New York Rangers to join the Canucks.

The superfan finally changed his allegiance in the 1998-99 season when Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure were traded and Pat Quinn was fired as the team finished well below 500.

Now, there's no healing his broken loyalty.

"I would never go back to watch a Canucks game," he vowed.

"After 29 years of following the team, I got really fed up with the nonsense going on."
Above, in one of the other articles, is a quotation from Castell. I'll re-post it below:
Oh, and did we mention the team's on-ice record? During his three seasons here Messier captained a team that lost 49 more games than it won. In his second year the Canucks finished 24 games under .500. To make matters worse Messier told the media after the final game of the second season that he somehow viewed the year as successful.

"For me that was the final straw", says noted Canuck fan and historian Andrew Castell, who saw every home game the Canucks played from 1970-1998. "I was always with them, win or lose. But what Messier said after that game made me really wonder what was going on? Here I was paying big money to watch this team lose night after night, and I felt insulted that the team captain had actually declared this terrible season a success." Castell gave up his season tickets after those comments, and has yet to return to GM Place.
Works Cited

Bell, Terry. "Boos Greet Messier: Held without Shot on Goal." The Province: A70. Nov 19 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Bell, Terry. "No Cure for what Ails Canucks: Looks Like they'Re Getting on a Roll for an Early Summer." The Province: A54. Feb 04 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Colebourn, John. "Ex-Superfan 'Fed Up with Nonsense'." The ProvinceJun 10 2011. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Extolling the Virtues of all-Star Break." Calgary Herald: C2. Feb 11 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

"Good Riddance, Mark: We Asked You: Mark Messier Came, He Saw -- He Took His Money and Bolted, Much as He had done when He Left the Rangers." The Province: A36. Jul 24 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Kerr, Grant. "Sore Elbow Behind Messier's Frustrating Season Vancouver Canucks' Fans Boo Team Captain Who is Averaging Less than a Point a Game." The Globe and MailMar 26 1998. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "'Hawks Appreciate Canuck Gifts: A Far-from-Super Sunday Crowd Watches Vancouver Commit a Series of Mistakes to Hand Chicago the Win." The Vancouver Sun: F1 / FRONT. Jan 31 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Russell, Dan. "Canucks Marriage with Messier Waste of Time: The Moose's Signing in 1997 as Big a Disaster as the Cam Neely Deal in 1986." The Vancouver Sun: F1 / FRONT. Nov 17 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

"Trade Mess if we can: We Asked You: What should the Canucks do with Mark Messier?" The Province: A25. Feb 21 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

"Vancouver's White Whale in Deep Water." Toronto Star: 1. Aug 24 1999. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

Willes, Ed. "Just Get it Over with: Canucks should Trade Messier as Soon as Possible." The Province: A52 / FRONT. Feb 11 2000. ProQuest. Web. 8 July 2015 .

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
No cure for what ails Canucks: Looks like they're getting on a roll for an early summer: [Final C Edition]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Feb 2000: A54.

With just 30 games left, this 15-27-10-6 team needs a modern-day miracle to make the playoffs. Forget about it.

As a reminder, the Canucks had that record because they went through a stretch where they won just 3 times in 16 games without Mark Messier - and in those final 30 games with Messier, they won 15 games and collected 37 points, missing the playoffs by just 4 points. In that 30 game playoff push, Messier had 26 points.

Ex-superfan 'fed up with nonsense'
Colebourn, John. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 10 June 2011: A.11.

At his home, Castell has a Canucks collection worth at least $500,000 and he figures it could double (or triple) in value if the Canucks take the Holy Grail -the Stanley Cup.

He went to a total of 1,300 Canucks games. He soured on the team when Mark Messier left the New York Rangers to join the Canucks.

The superfan finally changed his allegiance in the 1998-99 season when Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure were traded and Pat Quinn was fired as the team finished well below 500.

I don't think we need more newspaper articles to figure out why Messier is hated; I think we need a psychologist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad