Why Mark Messier is Often Regarded the Worst/Most Hated Vancouver Canuck of All Time.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
While my opinions haven't changed much on Messier's Vancouver tenure, what has changed is my emphasis on certain things. Before I emphasized his lackluster play the most, but now I mostly emphasize the fact that the Canucks signing him was a bad idea in the first place. As @The Panther has pointed out numerous times here, it was unrealistic to expect a 36 year old to transform the Canucks. But for me the worst part is the Canucks weren't contenders at the time, and by that point in his career Messier would've only been valuable to a contending team.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Vancouver Sun said:
"They just don't want to accept that the number was retired," said Beverly Maki, who lives in North Vancouver with daughter Stephanie, 26, and son Wayne Jr., 25. "We've offered to let Mark wear it for the three years he plays here and then we want them to retire the number again. All I've been asking for is some acknowledgement. If something could happen, it would be great."

In her most recent conversation with Quinn one week ago, Beverly Maki said she was told the Canucks "wouldn't do anything because the number was never retired."
I’m not sure it’s much of a compromise if the Maki family didn’t get the thing they were asking for from the Vancouver Canucks

It's because it's not a compromise but a textbook attempt at a compromise. An offer is not a deal it's a proposition to a deal. The offer also wasn't made to Messier himself, but to the Canucks organization, and also made without any kind of serious leverage. Reading that statement it's obvious as clear day that the family, realizing the Canucks organization wouldn't listen to them in the Messier case, tried to say to them "okay, but after these three years, can we retire the number again?" (and perhaps officially this time around?).

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
As a kid, I didn't know the whole deal. I knew a friend of mine had a 20$ nice Messier Card in Vancouver and the Lay's chips commercial. It looked as if things were alright. An aging vet, nothing more. --- But when you read the whole story... :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->