Sportsnet: Why Kypreos believes Maple Leafs should trade Mitch Marner

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It would never happen as it would be an admission that Mark Hunter messed up the draft by not drafting Provorov or one of the 2 other stud D men that were available at #4. IE Werenski or Hanifin.

Memory has it is it was rumoured Babcock wanted a D man at the time, but Hunter went with the winger in Marner.

Reactions: gabeliscious

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What are people disagreeing with though? That Marner doesn't fit the long-term Leafs' structure? Or that the Leafs should trade him (I'm assuming he means while the shine's still there)?

I don't agree with him often, but the guy has a point.

Reactions: tyhee

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
It would never happen as it would be an admission that Mark Hunter messed up the draft by not drafting Provorov or one of the 2 other stud D men that were available at #4. IE Werenski or Hanifin.

Memory has it is it was rumoured Babcock wanted a D man at the time, but Hunter went with the winger in Marner.

I agree, the leafs made a mistake with that pick

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
[mod] If there is a deal that absolutely knocks the socks off the Leafs and clearly makes them a better team now and for the next 15 years that Marner would have been a Leaf, it might be considered. But the price would be enormous and nobody on HF would agree to pay it. In the meantime, collect your "lolLeafs" jollies somewhere else and find your discount franchise player somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hanifin straight up makes the most sense. I could see that happening.

It would only be Hanifin and I am not sure Carolina Mgt would either with quality D men being a scarce commodity. As for Provorov or Werenski. I don't see the Blue Jackets or Flyers dealing either straight up for Mitch. It would be a non starter. Leafs would undoubtably have to add if they want either one of those 2 stud D men.

Reactions: draft day

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
kypreos comes off like a clown here.

Player A: Rookie 61pts/77 games, Sophomore 8pts/16 games
Player B: Rookie 49pts/82 games, Sophomore 7pts/12 games

Player A is Marner. Player B is Aho. Hands up if you have heard a peep about Aho getting traded/ being a bust/ being the next RNH

ridiculous

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Marner had 61 points last year. He has as many points as Laine does this year.

I agree, the leafs made a mistake with that pick

Hanifin straight up makes the most sense. I could see that happening.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It would only be Hanifin and I am not sure Carolina Mgt would either with quality D men being a scarce commodity. As for Provorov or Werenski. I don't see the Blue Jackets or Flyers dealing either straight up for Mitch. It would be a non starter. Leafs would undoubtably have to add if they want either one of those 2 stud D men.

The canes would absolutely trade hanifin in a heartbeat for Marner.
the leafs wouldn't. they passed on hanifin for marner and he has done nothing to prove that that wasnt the right call.

leafs arent moving mitch for a struggling hanifin who likely doesnt have 1st pairing upside
ryan murray 2.0

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
Maybe for the 50 games a yr Tanev actually plays.....
Not that I want to get into a Tanev for Marner debate.... But Vancouver Dmen are susceptible to injury and almost always play more games upon leaving look at Bieksa in Anaheim Hamhuis in Dallas.

Also think this is a ridiculous idea from Kipper. Just because a kid is on the third line during a slump (are Bozak and JVR really "third liners" anyway) doesn't mean he can't be a big part of the future. I think the only way the Leafs should move him is a Johansen/Jones type deal.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
In the guy's defense, it seemed like he was saying he thinks Marner will be traded, not necessarily that he should be traded. Sounds like he is just banking on the coaching staff not being big Marner fans.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not that I want to get into a Tanev for Marner debate.... But Vancouver Dmen are susceptible to injury and almost always play more games upon leaving look at Bieksa in Anaheim Hamhuis in Dallas.

Also think this is a ridiculous idea from Kipper. Just because a kid is on the third line during a slump (are Bozak and JVR really "third liners" anyway) doesn't mean he can't be a big part of the future. I think the only way the Leafs should move him is a Johansen/Jones type deal.

you deserve a medal.

the problem is the only thing that comes close to that now is Hanifin-Marner and the leafs say no to that
maybe if willy becomes a C and shows he has #1C upside the jackets can do a 180 and deal werenski for willie

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
the leafs wouldn't. they passed on hanifin for marner and he has done nothing to prove that that wasnt the right call.

leafs arent moving mitch for a struggling hanifin who likely doesnt have 1st pairing upside
ryan murray 2.0

Well we don't know either way. Since Marner is also struggling which you also failed to recognize. On the 4th line, on pace for 5 goals this season and not playing well defensively with a -8.

It wouldn't be the first time a trade happened for 2 struggling young players.

Regardless, as stated above in my previous post. I don't think it happens because it would be an admission that Hunter made a mistake passing on drafting on 2 already stud D men Provorov or Werenski, or potentially a stud D man in Hanifin when the Leafs biggest need is a stud D man right now.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think the Leafs should but I would fear a Leafs team with a Marner-value equivalent d-man more than the current one......and the current one beat the piss out of us earlier.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Great idea, there is nothing better than trading an asset when they're struggling. I.e when Boston got rid of that bum Seguin that couldn't produce in the playoffs, their fortunes turned right around!

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
One of the great mysteries in all of hockey is how desperate fans/analysts are to trade away good depth, despite depth being the most important aspect of a Stanley Cup contending team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't want Marner gone. Am I open to moving him in a deal that makes the team better both long and short term? Yes.

I'm open to our own Johansen-Jones swap. Right now that is probably Marner-Hanifin as someone else pointed out, and if you don't think you'd do it, keep in mind that it's close enough that it's worth speaking about regardless.

I'd sooner look at JVR or Bozak leaving town then Marner.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

ryan murray 2.0

This hot take is Kypreos-esque

I don't think the Canes go for Marner for Hanifin straight up, just because he's not what they need. They already have a handful of playmaking wingers - they need more finishers, and wouldn't depart with a blue chip defenseman for a player that doesn't fill a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad