Why isn't Sandin getting a better shot?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
He's supposedly one of our best prospect and hasn't even got into a game?

Leafs seem to not want to give their prospects a true opportunity. Throwing forwards on the 4th line and then sitting them right after etc.

Why is Sandin not given that 3rd pairing spot and give him a handful of games to establish himself. Neither Dermott or Lehtonen have taken control of the spot and Sandin hasn't even been given a look through 8?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
For one thing we are winning and our defense is playing well. Another we have to play Lehtonen to see what we have. There is a political component in that we own Sandin's rights but Lehtonen can walk at the end of the year and is 26(I think). We may also be playing Dermott to frame him for a trade. If it wasn't for covid he would likely be playing top minutes in the AHL.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
From what we saw of him last season, I thought he was good offensively but his defensive game needed some work. Not sure if the injury situation with the blueline last season helped him play in more games than he otherwise might have? To that, the blueline has been healthy so far this season. He's probably not too far away from seeing more games and perhaps even remaining with the team for good.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Product of depth. Its unfortunate, I do think he is ready to play NHL minutes. He would certainly make mistakes at this point in his development, but that's to be expected from a young defensive prospect. I think his reported offseason progression, as well as the addition of Mikko Lehtonan has made Travis Dermott expendable in my mind. I saw really good stuff from him in the blue and white game that made me think he is ready. Obviously hard to base your whole logic on that one showing, but I do think Leaf brass is very impressed with Rasmus' development thus far and are prepared to give him a shot when the opening comes. I just don't think you can put him ahead of Mikko, and TD on the left side as of yet. Those have been the 2 playing that bottom pairing LD role thus far, which is where Rasmus would check in. Moving TD at some point this year will open up some opportunity for him to get into the lineup, until then he will have to wait his turn

edit: I love TD, I just don't think the Leafs have plans to protect him at the upcoming expansion draft. therefore I do believe they will move him

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because we got a ton of defensive depth to protect against the massive injuries we saw last year, but we have not yet had any injuries to our defense this year, and they've been playing quite well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think he would be the perfect 3rd pairing D partner for BOGO.

Sandin would be the puck carrier and playmaker, BOGO the muscle in front of the net and 220 lbs deterrent to running Sandin.
I hold our hope that this would be our 3rd pairing come playoff time. I think the ceiling is higher with Sandin compared to Dermott.
In fact he may be our Reilly replacement in 2 years.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He is not ready.
I think Sandin could easily play sheltered minutes on the bottom pairing with a defensively responsible Bogo personally. Similar to Mikko, he will make the odd mistake from time to time as he adjusts to the NHL game. I think there are a couple reasons why they have opted to put Mikko ahead of Rasmus on the depth chart thus far. 1 reason is to maintain good standing with Mikko (pending UFA) as well as keep a good public perception for all future euro UFA's. As in, we have given Mikko a fair shot, as advertised in the pitch to acquire him. The other reason is Mikko can QB the PP2 in his sleep. He is certainly more NHL ready at the moment over Rasmus for that reason alone, but he is not that far behind IMO. Both players are prone to making mistakes, and both deserve the leash to play sheltered minutes in the NHL. Unfortunately for Rasmus, the reasons above are likely why he is behind Mikko in the depth chart. Albeit 5v5 would likely be just as effective IMO

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'd be playing with the Marlies right now if it wasn't for the pandemic thing. It just feels like he's seeing the bench.

I have no doubt he'll be given plenty of minutes in the near future.

Reactions: stickty111

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He is not ready.
Granted you're likely right. We haven't seen him in true NHL game action in nearly a year. Hopefully he can slot into a couple games soon so we can see where he's at. He looked good in the pre-season scrimmage. Leafs loaded left side of Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Lehtonen isn't helping him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Because we are a really good team with a very deep defense corps.

Aren't you a little concerned about having this kid rot in the press box this season, though?

Outside of Muzzin, I don't think any of out LD have earned a solidified spot (maybe Rielly, due to seniority).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He will get his shot because short compact schedule means defenders will go down ... and as games ramp up in intensity in back half of season more defenders will go down ... a good NHL team has 9 defenders deep who they can draw on ...

and we are very likely to lose Dermy in expansion draft ... habs will lose chiarot too ... it is as good as a done deal that it will occur ... but we need to figure out right now if Lehtonen can play in league especially playoff hockey .. if he can't there is no time for him and we keep him on taxi and he leaves at year end ... tough decision but that's life

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Because we are a really good team with a very deep defense corps.
This. Sandin is close to Dermott/Bogo/Lehtonen, but not better than them today. And we're very much in win-now mode, we play the guys who give us the best chance to win. Sandin and Liljegren showed promise with the Leafs last year (Sandin especially), but they did both get lit up defensively, Dermott/Bogo/Lehtonen ared just more reliable right now. Our defence has been strong this year, and wouldn't be if you inject a (basically) rookie in there.

Injuries will come, Sandin will likely get a handful of games this year. Sucks for his development to play so little, but that's how it's gonna be. Good chance he makes the team next year - we'll lose one of Holl/Dermott to the expansion draft, and Bogo and Lehtonen are UFAs, might lose one/both. IMO most likely scenario is that we give Seattle a small sweetener to select Dermott over Holl, and then Sandin takes Dermott's spot as 3rd pair LD.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We have probably the best KHL defenseman last year on our team and 8 games into the season yesterday was his first real opportunity(other 2 starts he was the 7th D). Sandin is #5 on the left side, and 20 years old. His time will come.

We're much thinner on the right side. I'm curious if there's a injury on the right side if they'll shift Dermott or Lehtonen over. Without Liljegren on the taxi squad I assume that would be the plan.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
This team is trying to figure out it's defensive game. Once, or if, the defence has settled then they can bring in rookies and put them in a spot to succeed.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
AHL games should be back pretty soon, he’ll be in there playing at least. I don’t see him getting minutes with the Leafs unless multiple injuries on our blueline.

Next season however, I expect him to be in the lineup. Hopefully we can resign Bogosian because him and Sandin would make a great third pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad