Why is the Norris focused more on offense than defense?

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
I'm sure this has been brought up before, I'm just wondering why is it that Karlsson or Burns get nominated for the Norris every year over more defensive focused guys like Ekholm? Is it because points are an easier way to determine who is better? Even if it is only offensively?

Reactions: Duffman955

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What an original thread. ;)

Anyway, my standard answer is, the basic skillset is to play defence, so those who are capable of also performing offensively are contributing more than their average colleagues.

And while people are fond of saying that offensive defencemen are liabilities defensively, the sheer number of minutes that true #1 d-men put up puts that kind of assessment into question IMO.

Not to mention, the best form of defence is in the other team's zone.

There are defencemen with offensive skillsets whose minutes need to be managed. These defencemen do not win the Norris trophy.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I still find it silly that there is a separate award for the best defensive forward, yet no award for the best offensive D-man.

...Though I guess that would just result in the Norris winner winning two awards instead of one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The best defenceman is the player who plays the position of defenceman and best contributes to his team's success. There is no set formula for what this looks like, but offensive contributions are, and should be, very important to this. You aren't helping your team win if no goals go in while you're on the ice, you're just helping them not lose.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been brought up before, I'm just wondering why is it that Karlsson or Burns get nominated for the Norris every year over more defensive focused guys like Ekholm? Is it because points are an easier way to determine who is better? Even if it is only offensively?
Because as much as we've come along way, measuring one's defensive prowess is still fairly subjective. A major part of gauging offense is simply looking at points. There is no subjectivity with the number of goals and assists one scored. Historically, defensive prowess had as little as +/-. Now we can measure a lot more, but there are so many stats, it's still very subjective in how you interpret them all.

And quite frankly, some of the stats are still fairly new to the NHL, and phenomenally inconsistent. Things like takeaways/giveaways/hits, etc, are so inconsistently measured, that using them to compare players between teams is rather fruitless. They're so bad, they become near meaningless. You can maybe use them to see what a player does in relation to his own team, but beyond that, they're really not very good.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
because offense is a major role of a defenseman, just as defense is a major role of a forward.

the best d-man is the d-man who makes the greatest impact in the game - producing offense is necessary to accomplish that

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Help

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Because it is harder to become elite offensively than defensively, even as a d-man. Ekholm may be a poor example, you have to convince voters not only that he should get votes as a shut down d-man, and that he should get votes over PK and Josi. Regardless, voters tend to look for the guy who makes the biggest impact on the ice. Karlsson in the past couple of years made a bigger impact on the ice than nearly anyone in the NHL. Ekholm often did as well, but where he is steady and consistent defensively, guys like Karlsson have the ability to take over games on their own. Basically, and Ekholm type isn't going to win you a game with a single play or shift, but a Karlsson or Burns might.

Reactions: Trojans86

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The difference in defensive ability of NHL defensemen is much closer than the difference of offensive ability of NHL defensemen. Some defensemen are amazing offensively and others are horrible so the good ones stand out in a big way and on the contrary nearly all NHL defensemen are pretty decent defensively.

Another way to look at it is a great offensive defensemen can get 50 more points than an average defensemen (offensively) but weak defensemen isnt going to directly give 50 more goals than an average defensemen over a season.

Similar situation to why centers are more valuable than wingers. There are a ton of really good wingers out there and it is very hard to find really good centers. The gap between really good center and average center is much greater than the gap between really good winger and average winger.

Also, puck moving defensemen that are skilled at breaking out and creating chances are hugely valuable to team success.

Reactions: NHL WAR

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Because it's a lot more impressive to put up 70 pts as a D than it is to be an offensive black hole? It's not like Karlsson or Burns are defensive liabilities- they're very good defenceman who put up offense in ways that no one else really can.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Actually there is.

The traditionalists just don't like them because they also say that Karlsson is the best defender on earth.

They actually aren't easy to understand well. What's apparent to me is that most people here who think they understand advanced statistics don't, at least not well. The interpretation of these advanced stats are often problematic.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Same reason a third line center isn't winning the Hart any time soon.

And yet, a grinder like Claude Lemieux can win the Conn Smythe.

If anyone can step up and be of ultimate value in the playoffs, it's probably safe to say the same could theoretically happen in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad