Why is the NHL blatantly biased against the Montreal Canadiens?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Using PP-PK time I actually did some research from 2002-03 "earliest time they had the records" to this season.

Here's Montreal's rank from 2002-03 to 2008-09:

2002-03: 14’th
2003-04: 14’th
2005-06: 20’th
2006-07: 27’th
2007-08: 6’th
2008-09: 13’th

Mostly average some years were harsh "06-07" while other were great" 2007-08".

However from 09-10 to now:
2009-10: 30’th
2010-11: 30’th
2011-12: 19`th
2012-13: 1`st
2013-14: 21st
2014-15: 30th

Sure we had one good year but besides that the best year was 19'th and we were last 3 times in 6 years. I get that refing can be subject to human error and some years may be bad but come on 3 out of 6 years.

Also because I was interested I did Boston to:

2002-03: 27th
2003-04: 23rd
2005-06: 27th
2006-07: 24th
2007-08: 20th
2008-09: 18th
2009-10: 20th
2010-11: 11th
2011-12: 17th
2012-13: 30th
2013-14: 29th
2014-15: 28th

As much as I hate to admit it they don't get off easy "for penalty's. For suspensions and nut shots well?"

PPs aren't awarded, they're earned. They don't need to be evened out over the course of a game, and by extension, a season.

We haven't had enough sustained offensive pressure over the years to draw penalties at a high rate, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

As for Boston, well they're slow and play a bullying style, of course they're going to be on the wrong end of a PP-PK ranking.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Something's been bothering me ever since the Pacioretty incident. For an original six team and one of the top earning teams, the Montreal Canadiens get very little respect from this league.

This is what I wrote back in december. Honestly is there a team in the league that is involved in more ******** calls/non-calls than the Habs?

A star player getting ejected for a slash in the playoffs? I've never seen that before in my life. Have seen so much worse dangerous plays go uncalled let alone ejected.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Its not true. There is no conspiracy here. We are just passionate fans and we like to think so. I remember when people were saying that Kerry Fraser is an anti-Hab when in fact he grew up a big Habs fan. If you ask other fans from different teams, they think the league is biased towards Habs.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Someone should start a Go Fund Me page for the NHL refs from the Habs......then post it on the main board and WATCH....THE.....WORLD.....BURN!

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Celebrities lobbying for Montreal

7176403886464d0a1bad3d1db62bffc2.jpg

St.-Pierre-jersey.jpg

4tR59FI.jpg

etyyaw.jpg

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is what I wrote back in december. Honestly is there a team in the league that is involved in more ******** calls/non-calls than the Habs?

A star player getting ejected for a slash in the playoffs? I've never seen that before in my life. Have seen so much worse dangerous plays go uncalled let alone ejected.

I totally agree with you but you won't get much support because it's a very subjective topic. Most fan bases think their team gets abused.

I've been watching since the 80's and there was definitely a change when Bettman took over from Ziegler. Not sure what it is. Could be that our management and ownership was more respected and influential in those days.

PK being ejected was completely ridiculous. Crosby slashes players at least once a game and doesn't even get a penalty most of the time. Duncan Keith holds a guy by the pants and no call on him last night. PK does the same thing and off he goes. Gallagher gets abused in front of the net and can never draw a penalty. There was a stretch in the 2nd period where all our players were cycling and getting tripped in the O zone and no calls. It's infuriating.

I used to be glued to my TV in the 80's and 90's and now I can barely watch as the refs are too noticeable for my taste.

My pet peeve is the controversial goals that never go our way. I don't think it's just perception. MTL has become irrelevant in the eyes of the league. They take our profits and we get nothing in return.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The refs are equally bad for everyone.

This.

Refs are bad. Period. There's no bias. No conspiracy. Sometime you are on the right side of bad calls and sometime you are on the wrong side of bad calls.

That's life and a cup worthy team needs to be able to deal with injuries and bad decisions by the refs.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't think we get treated unfairly at all. What bothers me is that fans from other teams say that the habs get better treatment from the refs when in reality we finished 11th most penalized and are currently leading for PM in the playoffs.

Montreal certainly does not get better treatment from refs. I would say it is relatively fair.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Spend more time in your own end and you're going to take more penalties. This:

2012-13: 1`st
2013-14: 21st
2014-15: 30th

is not coincidence.

BTW, I'm going to edit the title of this thread to "against" rather than "towards" the Montreal Canadiens because I think that's what the OP meant. Feel free to ping me if you want me to change it back.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
the refs are trying to prove they arent influenced by the crowd, nfl refs are a joke

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
The refs are not biased against MTL more than any other team. And to claim otherwise makes this fanbase looks bad. We're not Boston, we shouldn't use excuses like they do.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Something's been bothering me ever since the Pacioretty incident. For an original six team and one of the top earning teams, the Montreal Canadiens get very little respect from this league. Normally there is a small punishment as a show of justice for an illegal hit but we couldn't even get the NHL to care enough to give Chara a slap on the wrist for nearly killing a man. But of course the league has no problem at all suspending our players when they gave a 3 day suspension to Pacioretty. How can you be any more hypocritical? Last night against the ducks was the straw that broke the camels back with how blatantly biased the referees are towards the Canadiens and this will come back to bite us again.

My question is why? Is it because they know that Montreal will fill the seats no matter what and they would rather promote smaller market teams like the Ducks or is there a more sinister reason? Apparently we have two players who the refs have openly admitted to being biased towards, Gallagher and Subban. Have the refs ever openly admitted to being biased against any other plays in the league because Boston get away with far too many shenanigans for this to be just coincidence.

So the question is what can we do to get more of 'da rispek in 'dis league? I encourage bloggers, media and fans to look into this because it is a problem.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

The plain truth in the past was prejudice against the French Canadians back into the 30 yrs. Dynasty teams of the 50's, 60's and 70's, IMHO. Now it seems to be a continuous hatred for the Habs inherited from past bigotry, just blind injustice that at one time was condoned and most likely earned some referees extra games to work, due to following the Parties Political dogma, IMHO! When one considers the Habs lineup these days is so diverse, players from more countries than any NHL team, that's without checking, there might be a team with as many, but you get my point. Old prejudices are without any merit in this hockey era, and truly such petty ignorance from individuals should never be condoned or considered worthy of merit in any age. Such acts are an embarrassment to any business or population that allows these travesties to occur, especially in a televised sporting event seen worldwide. Hardly Sporting at all!!!...:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Right.. the refs are bad for everyone eh.. Yes I agree they are bad for everyone, but that doesn't change that there isn't a clear bias against us. Coincidence my ass. Gallagher confirmed it in his interviews, Subban confirmed it. But no, it's all just an illusion. :shakehead Whatever I don't even care to debate this as I will never change anyone's mind that is on the other side of the fence because they are "righteous" and "go with God" (aka Bettman and the NHL which are clearly innocent).

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Right.. the refs are bad for everyone eh.. Yes I agree they are bad for everyone, but that doesn't change that there isn't a clear bias against us. Coincidence my ass. Gallagher confirmed it in his interviews, Subban confirmed it. But no, it's all just an illusion. :shakehead Whatever I don't even care to debate this as I will never change anyone's mind that is on the other side of the fence because they are "righteous" and "go with God" (aka Bettman and the NHL which are clearly innocent).

Clearly they are just clowning around, anyone that can deceive themselves into believing that Stone isn't a Pebble, has to be a clown.:laugh::yo:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
After Subban's no suspension, I think the title of this thread is no longer valid. Maybe in the overall it can be true, but compare the Leaf's Kadri being suspended for 4 games for accidently hitting a player, while trying to squeeze through to Subban's two hander on Ottawa's best player, there's proof that the NHL isn't prejudice against us (Montreal).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Refs and the NHL aren't biased against anyone. The level of organization and collusion that would require is frankly way, WAY beyond the league.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
And yet the rest of the league thinks everythig is biased toward us. That should tell you the answer you are looking for ...

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
When the choice is conspiracy or incompetence, I tend to lean towards incompetence.

Bias exists towards players, but its more human failing than concerted effort to keep the team down.

In this case it's pretty clearly incompetence. :laugh:

The refs are trying, mind you, but it's a fast game, a lot of things are going on, and they're bound to take bad decisions. At least they tend to even out.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
You'd think that the Habs would have won a cup or 6 in the last 22 years if the refs really were pro Montreal.

Bit too multicultural for those in Ontario and west of that.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The NHL has become a joke league with regard to officiating. DLR gets a weak hooking call while Gally gets cross checked high with no call. Subban gets ejected and Bobo manhandles Gally with his stick while Gally is down on the ice.

I don't think it's a League conspiracy against the Habs but there are certain refs who clearly do not like Montreal. Regardless it's unacceptable.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Complaints like this make me cringe, the whole league is a joke and everybody gets screwed over or benefits from a screwing regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad