Why is the NHL blatantly biased against the Montreal Canadiens?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Something's been bothering me ever since the Pacioretty incident. For an original six team and one of the top earning teams, the Montreal Canadiens get very little respect from this league. Normally there is a small punishment as a show of justice for an illegal hit but we couldn't even get the NHL to care enough to give Chara a slap on the wrist for nearly killing a man. But of course the league has no problem at all suspending our players when they gave a 3 day suspension to Pacioretty. How can you be any more hypocritical? Last night against the ducks was the straw that broke the camels back with how blatantly biased the referees are towards the Canadiens and this will come back to bite us again.

My question is why? Is it because they know that Montreal will fill the seats no matter what and they would rather promote smaller market teams like the Ducks or is there a more sinister reason? Apparently we have two players who the refs have openly admitted to being biased towards, Gallagher and Subban. Have the refs ever openly admitted to being biased against any other plays in the league because Boston get away with far too many shenanigans for this to be just coincidence.

So the question is what can we do to get more of 'da rispek in 'dis league? I encourage bloggers, media and fans to look into this because it is a problem.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Biased towards the Canadiens means they are on our side.

I think you meant biased against us.

Was intrigued on what this thread was about thinking huh, this should be interesting to see why someone thinks the NHL is blatantly favouring us.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't think it's the team, necessarily. But since it's come out recently that the garbage refs share a blacklist, I suspect we have more than our fair share of players on it.

My personal opinion is the NHLPA should sue the NHL and Ref Union over this. It really shouldn't be allowed.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
They're not. The fact that we're emotionally attached to this team makes us think everyone is against us.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I do think the refs are influenced by others, such as Julien and others etc. I think we've developed a reputation as a team that likes to embellish, fairly or unfairly, I think the refs have had that put in their head.

Going all game and getting 1-3 PP's is quite simply silly on most nights.

Dec 8, 2014
Refs have bad games. Last night was a bad game for the refs and they know it.

Maybe a boarding penalty for the pacio hit. Big Pacio was soft after that pass he didnt protect himself.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I agree, they are blatantly bias and I can't understand it either. I don't think it's in the NHL's best interest for the cup leading team located in Canada to do well.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
It's because the Grey's told them to do it, or the Lizard people, I can't remember. Someone out there is definitely pulling the strings though. I once saw a linesmen get punched and I think some scales were showing as he rushed off to get fixed up. I dunno. Seems very reptilian based hate I think since the location of Quebec is a noted Lizard people heritage site. I think that explains things well based on the facts I've noted watching the League these years.

Glad I'm not alone though, was starting to think I was crazy and everybody wasn't out to get me or my favourite team.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I actually think it's the opposite. Habs get a lot of help from the refs, especially at the end of games when they're down.

Saintpatrick*

Jeremy Jacobs is chairman of the board for the NHL plus Campbell still has a job and is influential when it comes to any type of punishment when it comes to the Bruins.

As for the refs they're more incompetent than anything though the whole blacklist thing is disturbing.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I actually think it's the opposite. Habs get a lot of help from the refs, especially at the end of games when they're down.

I don't see how that's possible given that the habs are dead last in PP minus PK time in the link I posted.

Maybe it's just the refs being incompetent, maybe it's just bad luck but being last is no bueno.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Not the kind of issue that bothers rational people. It averages out.

For example, you would have to include Boston, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh into your theory, since surely you're not basing it simply on being dead last, but among a group of last place teams? Is every last place team there because of bias? In other words, does the fact a last place team exists, at all, automatically mean bias is the cause?

Doesn't make sense. Especially since a few years ago everyone was going on that refs were biased in favour of Boston.

By they way, two years ago we were first. Just varies, bro.

feds91

May 17, 2004
and just 2 years ago, Habs were 1st in PP minus PK time (58:23), well ahead of the Wings who were 2nd (35:33). Boston was last with -76:40. I'm fairly certain the refs are not out to get us :p:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think there's any bias against our team as a whole but maybe some players (Pleks, Subban) who've used diving to their advantage in the past.

This year we've gotten jobbed a lot. But there's ebbs and flows... I'd rather have calls go against us early in the year than later on. I'm not concerned.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The refs are equally bad for everyone.

yes, Refs in the NHL are probably the worst ref in all pro sport.
I don't think it because of individuals I think the context, rules and environment play a bigger role.
one issue in which they don't help them self is that Refs always seem to want to Even thing out, also they only call about 1/3 of the penalty so if they don't make the call you wonder why and when they do call one it leave you to wonder why they haven't called similar play earlier. NHL need to give all 4 guy on the ice power to call a penalty, call everything might be tough to watch at first but player will adjust.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
What is most amusing/alarming is that a number of fans from other teams think we are favoured by the refs, even this year. "Montreal typical" has become their anthem, which means that it is typical that the refs favour us.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
When the choice is conspiracy or incompetence, I tend to lean towards incompetence.

Bias exists towards players, but its more human failing than concerted effort to keep the team down.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Using PP-PK time I actually did some research from 2002-03 "earliest time they had the records" to this season.

Here's Montreal's rank from 2002-03 to 2008-09:

2002-03: 14’th
2003-04: 14’th
2005-06: 20’th
2006-07: 27’th
2007-08: 6’th
2008-09: 13’th

Mostly average some years were harsh "06-07" while other were great" 2007-08".

However from 09-10 to now:
2009-10: 30’th
2010-11: 30’th
2011-12: 19`th
2012-13: 1`st
2013-14: 21st
2014-15: 30th

Sure we had one good year but besides that the best year was 19'th and we were last 3 times in 6 years. I get that refing can be subject to human error and some years may be bad but come on 3 out of 6 years.

Also because I was interested I did Boston to:

2002-03: 27th
2003-04: 23rd
2005-06: 27th
2006-07: 24th
2007-08: 20th
2008-09: 18th
2009-10: 20th
2010-11: 11th
2011-12: 17th
2012-13: 30th
2013-14: 29th
2014-15: 28th

As much as I hate to admit it they don't get off easy "for penalty's. For suspensions and nut shots well?"

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Read the Bruins board, they say that the refs always give us the breaks.

NHL refs are best in any major sport right now, sure they miss some calls but the game is so fast its inevitable.

When the players stop making mistakes and play 100% error free games then and only then will I expect the refs to so the same.

This is stupid, everyone thinks the refs are against them when they get a bad call. A pointless discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad