Why is the NHL blatantly biased against the Montreal Canadiens?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The fact of the matter is that we've been near the bottom in terms of special team opportunities for a while now. I think it's more than okay to discuss why this is the case.

Moreover, for any Bruin or Sen fan who wants to look at this discussion as 'whining' at the very least they will educate themselves that Montreal does NOT receive special treatment from the league's officials except perhaps in a negative way.

Personally I don't think it's bias at all btw. I think it's that we spend a lot of time in our own zone. We didn't have this problem when we played well in 2013...

The bias is a fact. We know by observation, but moreso from what the ref told Gallagher and from the mouth of Fraser, who is the best insider for officials.

Having said that, it's not the whole story. Our insane strategy of dumping the puck, even on the freakin' PP, is a large factor.

But seriously, the elephant is hard to ignore.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How about the refs just learn whats a dive and what isn't? Like how about check on the guy that just fell like he got shot and ran off to the dressing room and see if he's actually hurt before giving a game misconduct due to an injury. or else keep Stone out of the game if your going to kick Subban out for "injuring him".....

Yes this will sometimes mean raising their hand for a penalty and blowing the whistle only to say "my bad" no penalty on the play, like they did on the Subban high Stick earlier....

Would they rather get it right, or call something immediatly?
A lot easier said than done. They aren't sitting in their living rooms like we are watching the game with instant replay. How many times do we only notice that it's a dive after the replay?

It's a fluid, fast paced game where you have to make quick decisions on the fly. You can't have a coaching challenge for this stuff, you can't wait to see the replay... you have to make the calls in real time.

What I would do is penalize players later on. If you dive you get penalty minutes in the next game or you get suspensions etc... these public shamings with small fines won't do jack to change anything.
Also i never understood calling a penalty for diving but still giving the other guy the penalty. If the guy dove then isn't the infraction irrelevant? that might deter some guys from diving when they put their team shothanded.
Agree with you there... but most of the time the other guy getting the penalty is actually guilty of hooking or something. But you're right they should just call the dive alone more often.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The bias is a fact. We know by observation, but moreso from what the ref told Gallagher and from the mouth of Fraser, who is the best insider for officials.

Having said that, it's not the whole story. Our insane strategy of dumping the puck, even on the freakin' PP, is a large factor.

But seriously, the elephant is hard to ignore.
Bias against certain players... sure. Against a whole team? I don't think so.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Bias against certain players... sure. Against a whole team? I don't think so.

Doesn't have to be a whole team. If you have bias against 3 on your club, and the opponent has 1, who'll benefit in the long run?

Seriously, watch the Winnipeg debacle and tell me that heads shouldn't roll over that. I've never seen a worse sequence by officials than that, ever.

Last heated minutes of the Canadiens-Jets game: https://youtu.be/aWzzCnf2xSc

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't see it to be honest, except with Chris Lee. :laugh:

Well, that and Subban.. and it's because he dives 2-3 times per game.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
I don't see it to be honest, except with Chris Lee. :laugh:

Well, that and Subban.. and it's because he dives 2-3 times per game.

How do you not see it lmao ... did you not watch last game Sens could hook you down on a breakaway and not get called fans dont boo for nothing. As far as being biased against certain players just watch Gallagher, you can legit get away with almost anything on him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How do you not see it lmao ... did you not watch last game Sens could hook you down on a breakaway and not get called fans dont boo for nothing. As far as being biased against certain players just watch Gallagher, you can legit get away with almost anything on him.
Every team has players like Gallagher (that get no calls) and Subban (that get called on constantly).

You don't think other teams sit and whine about the refs all night after a game too?

Fans boo'd when we hit the post because the it got called no goal. :laugh:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Well it's hard to tell on Gallagher because he goes down so easy, he's always on the ice. Very tough for the ref to judge if he went down honestly, if he dove or because the other guy has 30 pounds on him..

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The NHL isn't concerned with teams that make money, they're worried about the team's that aren't. Has nothing to do with the refs who are equally incompetent for everyone and more to do with the league that doesn't hold them to any accountability.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The NHL isn't concerned with teams that make money, they're worried about the team's that aren't. Has nothing to do with the refs who are equally incompetent for everyone and more to do with the league that doesn't hold them to any accountability.

Competence and agenda are 2 separate but equally contributing factors. Blacklists are agenda driven. Incompetence is its own reward.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
I love how every poster is a habs fan, because no one else cares about hte habs woes and would never admit to anything of the sort.

The habs are perhaps targeted but are equally supported by a massive fanbase that takes everything personally and regularly voices its opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad