Why is Tanner Glass still in the NHL ?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As a Penguin he would have one incredible game every few months where he'd have like 8 hits, a fight and a few scoring chances then he'd disappear for the next 30 games.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I honestly never hated a player more than I hated Glass, and it wasn't even his fault.

Media (who doesn't know hockey) loved him.
Stupid casual fans - taking cues from the media - loved him.
Coaches loved him.
He was paid over a million dollars.

The guy did nothing. Zero. Even the hits he threw came about 3 seconds late and never disrupted anything. He was also as poor a board player as I've ever seen.

Just useless. I actually felt bad for the Rangers when they picked him up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Does the NY media hail him as a tough, heart and soul player that is pivotal to the success of the PK like the Pgh media did?

I'd feel sorry for Ranger fans as Glass started my cardboard diet when he was a Pen, but we still have to watch Adams every night, so no sympathy here.

If it makes Rangers fans feel any better, we had to watch both players for two years, and they were used by Bylsma as a shutdown line late in games. No joke.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Does the NY media hail him as a tough, heart and soul player that is pivotal to the success of the PK like the Pgh media did?

I'd feel sorry for Ranger fans as Glass started my cardboard diet when he was a Pen, but we still have to watch Adams every night, so no sympathy here.

If it makes Rangers fans feel any better, we had to watch both players for two years, and they were used by Bylsma as a shutdown line late in games. No joke.

Saddest thing I've read on HF in years.

Aug 3, 2010
Just noticed he's dressed again for tonight ? Why lol ? His stats are terrible.

Because he's signed to an NHL contract.

maxresdefault.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Because hes a better hockey player then everyone in this thread.

And none of us are due $4.5 million over the next 3 years to suck at our jobs.

Coaches love the guy...and it's completely inexplicable. It's so obvious to anyone who watches the game, hell it's one of the rare cases where the stat watchers are right...the guy actively hurts his team, and he's done that for everyone he's played for in this league.

rangers91*

vigneault plays him because Tanner Glass get him his packs of gum for each game. Thats my theory atleast anyways, Vigneault is always chewing gum.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Because Tanner Glass is Ann Veal and AV is George Michael. Tann must be really funny or something.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Saddest thing I've read on HF in years.

One minute left in a one goal game, and they were both employed as meat shields - meaning they NEVER had the puck. Ever. You had to hold your breath every time those two were out there.

I remember him throwing 13 hits against Dallas statistically and not remember a SINGLE one of them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
not a freakin clue.. why on earth sather gave him $1.45 mill per year at 3 years is beyond me.

Are you aware this is the same guy that handed out these contracts:

Gomez - seven years $51.5 million
Drury - five years $35.25 million
Redden - six years $39 million
Richards - nine years $60 million

He can't sign free agent contracts it never works out. Doesn't matter how much $ or for how long. I'd even put Gaborik in because of how bad the deal was after three seasons.

rangers91*

the gaborik signing was a good signing, he had two 40 goal seasons in new york. Probably the only big free agent signing that worked out for the rangers post lockout.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I wouldn't cry about Tanner Glass too much for Rangers fans. At least the Rangers don't have a team that is the laughing stock of the entire NHL for close to a decade and paying a fourth line plug $5.25 million for another 3 more years.

At least Glass has a cap hit of $1.45 million for only two more years which is $3.8 million less then the Leafs problem contract with one year less on term. It would be an easier buyout for the Rangers if they are not too happy with Glass.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

He can't sign free agent contracts it never works out. Doesn't matter how much $ or for how long. I'd even put Gaborik in because of how bad the deal was after three seasons.

lol gaborik gave us 2 40 goal seasons and then got us brassard. he also finished his contract playing great for the kings.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW

The Gaborik contract worked out just fine. The Gomez and Richards contracts looked okay at the time, but the problem was both players' careers went immediately downhill right after. A bit hard to blame Sather for that.

The rest were garbage though, especially the Holik contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yes. I forget which one it was but I'm pretty sure one of the beat reporters wrote a whole column or at least a few paragraphs not too long ago about why the fans are wrong about Glass.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
It's not very common to see different fan bases sharing the exact same opinion about a player. In fact, I have never seen someone post good stuff about Glass.
He must be some cool locker room joker that makes the team feel better. Obviously his teammates will instantly feel better at hockey by simply watching Glass in action...

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
He's pretty good at scrabble, that's gotta be worth something. I, for one, am tired of hockey players always playing poker with each other when they are traveling. Scrabble is more intellectually stimulating.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If anyone has the answer I desperately want to hear it.

****ing piece of trash hockey player.

I honestly never hated a player more than I hated Glass, and it wasn't even his fault.

Media (who doesn't know hockey) loved him.
Stupid casual fans - taking cues from the media - loved him.
Coaches loved him.
He was paid over a million dollars.

The guy did nothing. Zero. Even the hits he threw came about 3 seconds late and never disrupted anything. He was also as poor a board player as I've ever seen.

Just useless. I actually felt bad for the Rangers when they picked him up.

The casual fans ALL hate him here. Not one fan I follow on twitter, any of the Rangers facebook groups, or on HF like him at all. Literally nobody likes him here except a few snarky media members, who think how hated he is is hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad