Why is Tanner Glass still in the NHL ?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
he's a poor man's Chris Thorburn (with Thor himself being a destitute version of some slightly above average 4th liner)

pretty sad

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has Glass thrown a noteworthy hit this season? I'm asking because Glass was the master of getting credited for a hit without actually doing anything.

That pretty much sums it up. He gently leans on guys and his hit tally skyrockets. And he goes completely out of his way to do it, often on guys who are already covered. Meanwhile, Glass's man is standing in front of Lundqvist completely abandoned. Might explain why it is that of all the goals TG is on the ice for, 94% are scored against the Rangers.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
There's a line of thinking in hockey that someone deserves a roster spot if if they're a "character guy" and check players three seconds after they've released the puck. They don't have to do anything else. Ever. These players blatantly and obviously drag their teams down, but not only are free from criticism outside of internet message boards, they often get credit for team success by incompetent media personalities who wildly overrate the role of "grit" in hockey to the point that someone can be a complete liability on the ice and still receive praise.

Teams do themselves a disservice by icing 4th lines featuring clowns like Tanner Glass. They are just throwing games. Glass is the type of player who can cost a team a playoff series.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If anyone has the answer I desperately want to hear it.

****ing piece of trash hockey player.

The casual fans ALL hate him here. Not one fan I follow on twitter, any of the Rangers facebook groups, or on HF like him at all. Literally nobody likes him here except a few snarky media members, who think how hated he is is hilarious.

I'm sure there are plenty of casual fans that see some hits once in a while and think he's a tough guy and love him. The MSG crowd has a ton of those guys. In fact even a non-casual fan who played hockey and I thought knew something about hockey said to my friend and me who were trashing Glass "you guys must like Zuccarello". Basically he likes Glass more than Zucc because one guy is small and the other guy is supposedly physical.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I'm betting employing Glass is some kind of collective running gag by the GM's. Whenever they have their GM meetings they play few rounds of poker and whoever loses has to employ Glass for next two years.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
There's a line of thinking in hockey that someone deserves a roster spot if if they're a "character guy" and check players three seconds after they've released the puck. They don't have to do anything else. Ever. These players blatantly and obviously drag their teams down, but not only are free from criticism outside of internet message boards, they often get credit for team success by incompetent media personalities who wildly overrate the role of "grit" in hockey to the point that someone can be a complete liability on the ice and still receive praise.

Teams do themselves a disservice by icing 4th lines featuring clowns like Tanner Glass. They are just throwing games. Glass is the type of player who can cost a team a playoff series.

This "character guy" ******** is thankfully getting mostly phased out of the NHL. Too many people that hockey way too seriously and treat "character" as an actual thing because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Has Glass thrown a noteworthy hit this season? I'm asking because Glass was the master of getting credited for a hit without actually doing anything.

No. I've never seen a player be preached by the media and coach as "bringing the physical element and hitting everything" who passes up more opportunities to finish a check than Glass. And when he does it's usually ineffective, the puck is long gone and he's just taken himself out of the play. So basically the only thing he brings is a willingness to drop the gloves, which who cares about? I care more about an effective 4th line.

BTW, Fast on our 4th line went down with a knee injury halfway thru yesterday's game and GLASS got MOVE UP to the 3rd line. What a joke AV is when it comes to this guy.

And in the defensive zone, why is Glass, as the LW, down in the right corner doing nothing? He's a friggin NHL player and he can't even get positioning SOMEWHAT right. Not like it matters because if the puck comes to him he will fail to clear and usually turn it over anyway.

I'm sure there are plenty of casual fans that see some hits once in a while and think he's a tough guy and love him. The MSG crowd has a ton of those guys. In fact even a non-casual fan who played hockey and I thought knew something about hockey said to my friend and me who were trashing Glass "you guys must like Zuccarello". Basically he likes Glass more than Zucc because one guy is small and the other guy is supposedly physical.

That person is an idiot. Zucc may only be 5'7 but he hits more effectively than Glass regardless of size. Oh and the tiny little thing of leading the team in scoring last season and being one of the best offensive players on the team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No clue. Worst player in the NHL by a fair margin.

The only thing worse than AV insisting on playing him in the media being totally unwilling to press him about it.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
5.9 ESGF%. You would think that stat would correct itself and get back to normal over time. Nope, it just keeps getting worse as the sample size increases.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

No. Every god damn hit he throws is useless and is borderline interference, because the puck is long gone. It sums up how he plays the game "hurrr what's dat blak disk over thur? Glass SMASH!!!!".

Corsi stat?

44.5%

But take him away from Dominic Moore (who's having a terrific season), and it's an abhorrent 38.7%.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why was he on the ice against Ribero line wtf ?

Well for one, we were down to 11 forwards and Stepan was out.

We generally use the Moore line to match up against scoring lines, especially when Stepan is out. Glass happens to be on the Moore line because for some reason he's in the lineup, and when one is the lineup, one has to unfortunately play with somebody.

This comes back to the "rash on Moore's butt" theory.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
No clue. Worst player in the NHL by a fair margin.

The only thing worse than AV insisting on playing him in the media being totally unwilling to press him about it.

The media support for Glass is so weird. It's like they're all on the take.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
One minute left in a one goal game, and they were both employed as meat shields - meaning they NEVER had the puck. Ever. You had to hold your breath every time those two were out there.

I remember him throwing 13 hits against Dallas statistically and not remember a SINGLE one of them.

That's because the camera had moved away to the rest of the play by then.

All of his hits are late and useless.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
No. I've never seen a player be preached by the media and coach as "bringing the physical element and hitting everything" who passes up more opportunities to finish a check than Glass. And when he does it's usually ineffective, the puck is long gone and he's just taken himself out of the play. So basically the only thing he brings is a willingness to drop the gloves, which who cares about? I care more about an effective 4th line.

BTW, Fast on our 4th line went down with a knee injury halfway thru yesterday's game and GLASS got MOVE UP to the 3rd line. What a joke AV is when it comes to this guy.

And in the defensive zone, why is Glass, as the LW, down in the right corner doing nothing? He's a friggin NHL player and he can't even get positioning SOMEWHAT right. Not like it matters because if the puck comes to him he will fail to clear and usually turn it over anyway.

That person is an idiot. Zucc may only be 5'7 but he hits more effectively than Glass regardless of size. Oh and the tiny little thing of leading the team in scoring last season and being one of the best offensive players on the team.

I feel the pain. I have to watch David Desharnais and Dale Weise playing on the 1st line...

They are not bad player like Glass, but clearly not 1st line players.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lol, i've never seen a player so disliked in my life. There is a different thread on how bad he is every week.

A guy who would be one of the worst players in the AHL is an NHL regular. It's movie-worthy let alone thread-worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->