Why is RDS so incompetent?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There are a few bright spots on RDS. Yvan Ponton and Hélène Pelletier do a fantastic job for Tennis. Jean-Paul Chartrand and Yvon Michel, even though they are older now, are really good for boxing and certainly contributed much to the sport's popularity here over their long decades of work. Michel is surprisingly tame on pumping his own tires considering the money he has invested in GYM. Bertrand Houle is probably the only guy on the planet that can make F1 sound exciting and interresting, and Michel Lacroix probably has the best voice for calling golf on the planet (or the best voice period, dayum I'm jealous).

But I'll agree that the hockey coverage is mostly cringe-inducing. I mean, it took them 4 years to fire Brunet.

I don't think Ponton and Pelletier are that good at Tennis. I think they cover Tennis likie it's Disney, it's like everything is great and they never say anything interesting. It's like everything at RDS, they stayed there too long becoming complacent.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
my misguided attempt:

quebec has no problem embracing and even rewards mediocrity and populism

it's been said already, but the only decent analyst they have is marc denis, all the others are drooling idiots

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
Honestly TVA Sports isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. Look at how long RDS has had the Habs and they still suck.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
I'll tell you why... Sports journalism in french sucks in quebec because the field is saturated with people who don't have a journalism degree but only studies in communications. Even that is setting the bar high because the majority of the people on tv are either 50 years old+ or are ex-nhl players, whose job is to recycle mainstream material and give their clueless opinions.

(...) Professional sports journalism does not interest these companies they just want faces that the average quebecer can relate to.

This.

And the culture of mediocrity.

When was someone fired for being bad? Never. They can be lazy, ignorant, say whatever, it's never a problem.

Last time I took a look at RDS Brunet and Tremblay said Franson and Gilbert are the same type of player. Pretty sure no one took the time to tell them it was ****** non sense. No one seems to be asking them to make the effort to stay up to date, learn, improve. They don't seem to get any training, guiding, nothing.

There was hopes it will improve with competition but I'm afraid it's going to be the opposite. TVA adopted the same model and now they are fighting to get the same mediocre and lazy people. So their jobs are pretty much guaranteed for ever and in the worst case there is another channel that will hire them so why make any effort?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
This.

And the culture of mediocrity.

When was someone fired for being bad? Never. They can be lazy, ignorant, say whatever, it's never a problem.

Last time I took a look at RDS Brunet and Tremblay said Franson and Gilbert are the same type of player. Pretty sure no one took the time to tell them it was ****** non sense. No one seems to be asking them to make the effort to stay up to date, learn, improve. They don't seem to get any training, guiding, nothing.

There was hopes it will improve with competition but I'm afraid it's going to be the opposite. TVA adopted the same model and now they are fighting to get the same mediocre and lazy people. So their jobs are pretty much guaranteed for ever and in the worst case there is another channel that will hire them so why make any effort?

People will keep watching them, no reason whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad