Why is RDS so incompetent?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Should I keep listening to guys with low IQ, ****** communication skills and irrationnal opinions??

I swear I feel brainwashed when watching shows like Sporcs 30, Hockey 630 and L'Antichanvre :( :(
:(

Sad to see this happening to the no. 1 hockey, NHL channel in Québec.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They've massively invested in quantity over quality, for the most part. So many plastic faces and sports readers with awkward stares or expressions, who far too often stumble as shots move from camera to camera.

I never imagined a local sports station would be able to carry so many "experts", they seem to hire everyone and anyone who remotely speaks French and who happened to wear an NHL uniform recently. Even plumbers with short careers like Mathieu Darche, who is probably one of the biggest Habs homers (who is so biased he can't express any form of critical thought and who is boring as fack), got a gig on AC.

Fortunately, there are the few bright lights that make you temporarily forget their baggage, the likes of Pierre Houde and Marc Denis, come to mind.

Now that RDS is sharing broadcast rights with a 24-hour sports competitor, it's going to be interesting to see how the talent pool gets divvied up, whatever that "talent" might be.

feds91

May 17, 2004
I remember when RDS.ca had as their leading headline that they had inside knowledge that Montreal is picking Teravainen with the 3rd overall pick in the 2012 draft. I'm so glad that they were wrong and that Habs picked Chucky instead. :shakehead

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Still not as bad as Michel Bergeron

He was dreadful yesterday on Dave Morissette en direct...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Let's say you're a rational, credible media person.

Do you want to show your face on RDS to explain Gaston Therrien since August that no, Francis Bouillon wouldn't be signed? Why Tomas Plekanec is the best center of this team?

Do you really want to share a show with PJ Stock?

EDIT : Let alone TVA Sports.

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
TVA sports is way worst! 2 examples: 1: When the refs stopped the play cause they thought too many men on the Habs, theyre showing a replay and it's obvious that the play has stopped, you see players skating slowly, and one of the commentators says, in french obvisouly, "Oh yes you can clearly see they are 7 players on the ice". Sigh... And example 2: The same game, I dont remember who it was took a shot and it hit the post, you clearly hear the BING, and he says "Did that hit the post?" lol common man!

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Should I keep listening to guys with low IQ, ****** communication skills and irrationnal opinions??

I swear I feel brainwashed when watching shows like Sporcs 30, Hockey 630 and L'Antichanvre :( :(

That describes 75% of HF posters, if not more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Actually, it's just probably reflective of the TV landscape in general. For every HBO thought provoking series, or PBS documentary, you have tons more reality show garbage that caters to the lowest common denominator. I'd put the 24-hour Quebec sports TV networks in the reality show segment -- they're basically a couple of beers removed from the fare people used to get in taverns from regular Joes.

Kind of obvious that these type of shows need to resort to both filler content and filler hosts -- they don't have enough local sports programming to fill their scheds. It doesn't stop them from setting the bar higher -- however if their audience doesn't demand it, why change. Plus, most people in their 20s don't even care about TV, so much for cultivating an audience.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Dinosaurs are running the shows.

You know, the type of guy that didn't evolve with the game of hockey. None of them have a clue about advanced stats (too complicated, don't believe in them.....even if most teams and scouts use them) and even how to interpret basic stats.

They're like old womans bicthing eveybody . Right now they go after Price, Subban, Eller Bourque (4 best players in the PO) while always pumping tires of local talent. Right now they're trying to build Bournival. before it was Bouillon, before it was Brodeur....Therrien and DD is an everyday job. They looked so dumb right now after spending the summer telling that Plekanec should be traded (and even had no value on the market).

Their shows didn't evolve in 20 years
Their analysts didn't evolve either, they even regressed in quality. You see there's not much work behind anything, no research, no hard work in evaluating talents or games.

Just personal opinion throw

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
First of all, until this year RDS never had a serious competitor. This means that, just like EA sports and NHL 15, they can mail it in without putting serious effort.

Second, they are appealing to the lowest common denominator. Take a look at le 5 à 7... It's pretty obvious that they are trying to get casual fans to watch. They are not looking to make you smarter, they are mindless entertainers.

However, while I want a quality product on both TVA sports and RDS since it is pretty much the only live TV that I watch, we must admit that us,regular posters (and lurkers in my case) on this board are a very small minority. To be honest , I don't know that many people who cares about advanced stats or the Habs's 7th round pick...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Maybe it's because they have the same owners as TSN and since it's the Toronto guys that run the show at Bell, they don't give a **** what's going on in Montreal.

I remember when I was a kid looking at RDS and TSN, while I didn't understand english, I thought "why can't RDS look as professional as TSN?".

Also it shows that really TSN for example seems to be made to presented nationally while RDS always felt like a small local station that doesn't have to fight to keep its audience.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
The CityTV on air guy really deserve a mention for stupidity. He spent the last two games talking about Paciorety not scoring yet. Not only MaxPac has a goal, he got the first bloody goal of the season... For the whole NHL! You think somebody would have corrected the guy before his second game on the air.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Gerry Frappier is all about profits. That's why he's been hired. And they MADE tooooons of cash. RDS was, until this year, the most profitable cable station in the province BY A MIIIIIIIILE.

Now, he had the cash to make a pretty solid effort in having, for example, broadcast teams abroad for sporting events. He never did it. For financial reasons. His mandate by Bell was to make profits galore. He sure did.

Now, like any other business exec, he'll tell you that RDS will have to cut in order to survive.

Believe me, they will still make tons of money.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Montreal Canadiens helped make RDS.
RDS never had to win its viewership it has a monopoly.
Most of its live sports packages are horrible tin canned studio versions.
They decided to introduce a comedy element into their programming.
Now they are all clowns...

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I wish they'd hire interviewers who are bilingual. I just get to sit here at home, watch these terrible interviews where athletes don't understand the questions and then the interviewer misinterprets what the athlete says :help:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wish they'd hire interviewers who are bilingual. I just get to sit here at home, watch these terrible interviews where athletes don't understand the questions and then the interviewer misinterprets what the athlete says :help:

If you've ever seen Marc Denis interview a player in English. You'd have a deep appreciation for his ability compared to the so called Pro's.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Watching antechambre it sometimes scares me to realize that actual NHL clubs employed guys like Mario Tremblay and Michel Bergeron. Very scary thought if you actually think about it. I still can't believe Therrien was on it and then he became our coach. Such a bad show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They decided to introduce a comedy element into their programming.
Now they are all clowns...

Did they even have to consciously script a comedic element in order to achieve it?

Or, did they merely go out and hire low IQ types with awkward personalities, whose delivery made them funny for all the wrong reasons. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Did they even have to consciously script a comedic element in order to achieve it?

Or, did they merely go out and hire low IQ types with awkward personalities, whose delivery made them funny for all the wrong reasons. :sarcasm:

Good question.
TSN did the same with less drastic results only half of them are clowns. :laugh:
But to put it in perspective there was a scripted push at one time.
I think it coincided with the hiring of those early morning turds who played around with the stressing of certain syllables in the most annoying way that made the calls and caws of ravens and crows when hungover seem more appealing?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Why is RDS (and TVA-S) so incompetent?

Because they want to, it's their formula. They don't want to have an intelligent and healthy discussion about the Habs or the NHL, that's considered "boring" and "unmarketable".

Their strategy is to throw **** on the wall and see what stick.

Price is not doing too well? Expect them to fuel a goalies controversy.
The Habs only have 2 shots in 4 power play? Blame Eller, whatever.
Habs lost 2 in a row? Let's talk about Bouillon.

Damphousse used to be the smartest guy on RDS and he's quickly becoming one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad