Why is RDS so incompetent?

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date

Hermamoud

Feb 21, 2008
The chairs of Pejorative Sluredness AC ...
and to think our coach spent many episodes there.

I always found it disturbing how low the camera is and how all the people on Antichambre are sitting with their legs spread out. It looks so sloppy.

Why couldn't they just put a table like all other sports talk shows?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Dinosaurs are running the shows.

This.

And they try too hard to be funny.

RDS has become a joke over the years. Obviously I enjoy watching the games but I never watch anything else, and that includes between periods analysis or pre-game shows. There really isn't anyone worth listening on RDS. On the other hand, I'll enjoy listening to Dubé's analysis or even watch Don Cherry because he's hilarious.

TSN had pretty good analysts.

For me, it's Gauthier. Wtf is that guy doing on TV????

I think he fits nicely with Therrien or Roy.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm sorry but you make this thread when their direct competitor does the following:

1) Hires Felix Seguin to call the game. Sorry but the guys dad probably is on the board at TVA. Worst decision ever. It's not that he calls the game poorly, he just doesn't really have the charisma or voice for it imo. That part is at least mainly my minority opinion but...

2) Hires Michel Bergeron - majority opinion at least on HF is that the guy is a clown and I stand by that judgement.

3) Gave Dave Morisette his own show - I don't know what the majority opinion on this is, but I find it laughable. A dog with rabies would probably be a better host than that guy.

Why are the people that run TVA so incompetent? At least with RDS they got complacent, TVA had a solid opportunity here and they botched it big time.

On a side note, I'd like to see what Carbo could do with his own show, especially now that the moron Bergeron is gone. I always found Carbo seemed to be majorly holding back on AC, like he wanted to voice his opinion but he knows it's against popular opinion, and sometimes when he responds imo you can tell he's holding back and just wants to tell them all how stupid they are.

He gives such generic answers as to not ruffle any feathers, but I swear you can see it in his eyes, he thinks most of them are idiots and just doesn't want to argue with people who don't know **** about the subject they speak.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Carbo can't speak well enough to have his own show.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't watch anything else other than the actual games. Show them that they suck.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
This.

RDS has become a joke over the years. Obviously I enjoy watching the games but I never watch anything else, and that includes between periods analysis or pre-game shows. There really isn't anyone worth listening on RDS. On the other hand, I'll enjoy listening to Dubé's analysis or even watch Don Cherry because he's hilarious.

There are a few bright spots on RDS. Yvan Ponton and Hélène Pelletier do a fantastic job for Tennis. Jean-Paul Chartrand and Yvon Michel, even though they are older now, are really good for boxing and certainly contributed much to the sport's popularity here over their long decades of work. Michel is surprisingly tame on pumping his own tires considering the money he has invested in GYM. Bertrand Houle is probably the only guy on the planet that can make F1 sound exciting and interresting, and Michel Lacroix probably has the best voice for calling golf on the planet (or the best voice period, dayum I'm jealous).

But I'll agree that the hockey coverage is mostly cringe-inducing. I mean, it took them 4 years to fire Brunet.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This.

Even if i don't agree with everything he said, Dubé is the most knowledgeable hockey analyst in the french media.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
There are a few bright spots on RDS. Yvan Ponton and Hélène Pelletier do a fantastic job for Tennis. Jean-Paul Chartrand and Yvon Michel, even though they are older now, are really good for boxing and certainly contributed much to the sport's popularity here over their long decades of work. Michel is surprisingly tame on pumping his own tires considering the money he has invested in GYM. Bertrand Houle is probably the only guy on the planet that can make F1 sound exciting and interresting, and Michel Lacroix probably has the best voice for calling golf on the planet (or the best voice period, dayum I'm jealous).

But I'll agree that the hockey coverage is mostly cringe-inducing. I mean, it took them 4 years to fire Brunet.

:help:

I'd take Benoit Brunet over her.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I wish they'd hire interviewers who are bilingual. I just get to sit here at home, watch these terrible interviews where athletes don't understand the questions and then the interviewer misinterprets what the athlete says :help:

That's pretty much my only knock on RDS over the years.

Colour commentary and analyses are all subjective, wether you personnaly like them or not, same can be said about any commentators at any broadcaster, they all hire some controversial personas. I don't think Maclean and Cherry, Stock and Milbury, to name a few, are better than the clowns at RDS.

Also, lol at people *****ing about the RDS guys *****ing. This forum is full of *****ing anyway. So you ***** about *****ing, how ironic.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I'm sorry but you make this thread when their direct competitor does the following:

1) Hires Felix Seguin to call the game. Sorry but the guys dad probably is on the board at TVA. Worst decision ever. It's not that he calls the game poorly, he just doesn't really have the charisma or voice for it imo. That part is at least mainly my minority opinion but...

2) Hires Michel Bergeron - majority opinion at least on HF is that the guy is a clown and I stand by that judgement.

3) Gave Dave Morisette his own show - I don't know what the majority opinion on this is, but I find it laughable. A dog with rabies would probably be a better host than that guy.

Why are the people that run TVA so incompetent? At least with RDS they got complacent, TVA had a solid opportunity here and they botched it big time.

On a side note, I'd like to see what Carbo could do with his own show, especially now that the moron Bergeron is gone. I always found Carbo seemed to be majorly holding back on AC, like he wanted to voice his opinion but he knows it's against popular opinion, and sometimes when he responds imo you can tell he's holding back and just wants to tell them all how stupid they are.

He gives such generic answers as to not ruffle any feathers, but I swear you can see it in his eyes, he thinks most of them are idiots and just doesn't want to argue with people who don't know **** about the subject they speak.

Wether you like him or not, Dave Morisette won a Artis award in 2012 for his show (le match).

That's why he was hired. And all that is subjective. The rates are there, that's for sure, in his case.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

That's a good point. There are certainly some competent people covering other sports on RDS. I also enjoy Yvan Ponton and Hélène Pelletier.

Hockey coverage has been a disaster for as long as I can remember. I mean, hiring ex-players or ex-coaches that can't translate what they think into words will do that. The difference between hockey and football is notable. Pierre Vercheval is awesome and most analysts covering the NFL in the US are great. Maybe it has to do with the fact that you absolutely need a college degree to play football. It helps organizing your thoughts at the very least...

EDIT : Actually...

Unlike major professional sports such as baseball and ice hockey, which draft and sign players from high school, football players must play college football for at least three seasons or be out of high school for at least three years before being eligible to play in the NFL. Players who believe they are ready to succeed as a professional after their junior years in college will often declare themselves ready for the NFL Draft. Others will remain in school for their senior years. To be eligible for the draft without having spent four years in college, a player must receive special permission from the NFL.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Considering he is not a journalist or a broadcaster, I think Morissette actually does a decent job. As for Carbo, you actually stated the exact reasons why he shouldn't and won't ever have a show. First he can't speak very well and second he is unable to express himself or his opinions. They don't give shows to shy introverted people.

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
They are honestly all terrible. I can't watch highlights on Sportscentre/TSN either... all the hype.. the "aplha-male" hype... is terrible. I consider myself a strong, mature man... and I usually mute Sportscentre and turn on music because I can't stand the barrage of hype thrown my way. It's embarrassing to listen to. Corporations are embarrassing. They ruin everything. A product like hockey doesn't really need any extra hype.. but these corps want to put their stamp on everything, BRAND everything, RUIN everything.... I can't watch AMC tv shows anymore because every two seconds I'm told how AMC produced it and how great AMC is.... I'll just watch HBO... they are a special company that is confident (aka "not douchey") in what they've made and don't need to hype it up because they put their PRODUCT first, and not their brand. Man, I would kill for a sports station that was run like HBO... That whole segment during the Habs-Leafs game last week with Strombonopoulou (sp?), Crosby and Teows was so creepy with the grooming and camera angles.. .. That's not what real fans/men/women want to see. But brands have their ideals to sell, and will often make the mistake of thinking people pay for just the brand and not the product.... **** Corporate Douchery.. They aren't selling you hockey, they're using hockey to sell you their network -- keep that in mind and the quality of the product you get on RDS/TVA/TSN/Sportscentre/CBC will make sense (with TSN and Sportscentre being more product-centric, yet, we see how that works in the business/corporate sports world - they lost, because the NHL, being a Corp in itself, believes the market is going in the direction of the *********, and, as far as dollars and cents go, maybe it is).

Last edited:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I really used to enjoy the World Series on RDS when Casavant and Griffin were live and ON site. Casavant leaving RDS made me switch back to watching baseball in English.

F1 is amazing on RDS, Houle and Raymond are still great (Tortora has become senile though).

I do enjoy watching tennis on RDS as well, Ponton and Pelletier do a fantastic job.

Last but not least, Houde and Denis are light years ahead of Seguin and Lalime in terms of hockey PBP.

Having said all that, the rest of the shows are garbage, their so called hockey analysts are equally sad (RDS and TVA) and all the shows besides the ones stated above seem ridiculously amateurish. Watching le 5 à 7 for 2 minutes will make your IQ drop 30 points.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I always found it disturbing how low the camera is and how all the people on Antichambre are sitting with their legs spread out. It looks so sloppy.

Why couldn't they just put a table like all other sports talk shows?

Because, with those chairs and those camera angles, all them get to prop up whatever lump they have in their pants. As if a female audience would even notice. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:help:

I'd take Benoit Brunet over her.

Hélène Pelletier's testosterone count has risen considerably over the years, making the likes of even a sad sap like Benoît Brunet, appear more "attractive". :help:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'll tell you why... Sports journalism in french sucks in quebec because the field is saturated with people who don't have a journalism degree but only studies in communications. Even that is setting the bar high because the majority of the people on tv are either 50 years old+ or are ex-nhl players, whose job is to recycle mainstream material and give their clueless opinions. Some guys like Renaud Lavoie kinda try to bring more professionalism to the field but then you get imbeciles like Gaston Therrien and Dave Morisette.

My cousin who now is a freelance journalist for companies such as Vice, msn, the huffington post... Wanted to be a sports journalist, he studied abroad perfected his written english at Cambridge and more. In quebec he wrote a couple articles for metro, but then he hit a wall that is quebecor and bell. Professional sports journalism does not interest these companies they just want faces that the average quebecer can relate to.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
(...) they just want faces that the average quebecer can relate to.

hqdefault.jpg

Could replace them all with les têtes-à-claques and no one would bat an eye.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Normally, I don't go on RDS.ca. Don't know why I went there but saw today's practice recap on RDS with Gaston Therrien talking to Luc Bellemare. They spent time focusing on the bottom lines ... Should replace Bourque & maybe Sekac etc ... Should bring Bournival because he can add the energy to the team ... Gaston said before putting pressure on rookies, the Habs should look at veterans. I get that point. Why isn't he consistent when he talked about Beaulieu and Tinordi? Why not talk about Weaver's struggle so far this season?

The thing I was asking myself is why not talk about the 1st line who's not producing at all, who's not even able to consistantly have offensive zone possession time? Why not elaborate on what they've seen at the PP practice today? Why not challenge the coach's decision to why he always uses the same players and strategies for the PP? Why always spend time on the bottom portion of the team when the main things are not working?

Well now I remember why I don't watch RDS (Sports 30, Antichambre, analysis on their website videos).

Last edited:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
On le 5 à 7 they were talking about our PP struggles, and they showed the PP lines that were used this morning at practice. The lines were Paches-DD-Gally and Chucky-Pleky-PAP, and they said now with those lines there's just too much talent not to score, those line will have many chances next game.

Funny thing is, aren't those the same lines that have been used since the beginning of the season loll?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
On le 5 à 7 they were talking about our PP struggles, and they showed the PP lines that were used this morning at practice. The lines were Paches-DD-Gally and Chucky-Pleky-PAP, and they said now with those lines there's just too much talent not to score, those line will have many chances next game.

Funny thing is, aren't those the same lines that have been used since the beginning of the season loll?

Yep, that's been pretty much the PP line since the start of the season....they really need to pay attention :shakehead
That PP will eventually scores, but 1 or 2 goals won't be enough to make them "good to go".

Home-ice advantage for the next couple of game, that should help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad