Why is Nathan MacKinnon bad at Face-offs?

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Compared to Sakic, Drury, Yelle who were above 50%, MacKinnon's sitting at 45.9%. Sometimes we lose 15-20 seconds of power play because he loses the playoffs and the opponents clear. That's why Kadri's taking the face-offs during power play.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think it's a big deal. The importance of faceoffs are still greatly exaggerated and the difference between a 46% taker and a 52% is so small that it's basically still a coin flip. And there are very, very few players who consistently can put up good numbers, being somewhere between 55-60% consistently so it actually makes a difference and not bouncing above or below 50% from season to season.

Obviously it's better to win them than lose them, but they don't hold a greater importance than any other puck battle out there. And from a team perspective there is no correlation between teams being good faceoffs and being good at winning games. Sometimes we see the worst faceoff-team in a league making it to a final.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Compared to Sakic, Drury, Yelle who were above 50%, MacKinnon's sitting at 45.9%. Sometimes we lose 15-20 seconds of power play because he loses the playoffs and the opponents clear. That's why Kadri's taking the face-offs during power play.

Some people have it and some don't. It's more of a luxury than a required skill so it's not a major thing to work on while developing.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
To be honest, I’m kind of surprised to hear he is at 46%. I would of that it was lower.

It’s odd how sometimes checkers are better face off guys than skill players. Maybe they just spend more time on it, while a guy like MacKinnon has to work on other areas of his game.

Either way, not a huge concern for me, with what he brings to the table.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
It’s one part I’ve always been confused about since the guy is married to Crosby all summer.

His form and everything is just awful, hand placement on stick, the hip and leg rotation, etc.

He’s just brutal at face offs, it is what it is.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It’s one part I’ve always been confused about since the guy is married to Crosby all summer.

His form and everything is just awful, hand placement on stick, the hip and leg rotation, etc.

He’s just brutal at face offs, it is what it is.

Do not know if this is true, but one thing I have heard a couple of times is that he just "doesn't see the value in working on it as much as other areas of his game" (I'm paraphrasing that).

Basically he's more concerned with what he feels will have a direct impact on winning a game, and thus that's what he's focused on improving.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Do not know if this is true, but one thing I have heard a couple of times is that he just "doesn't see the value in working on it as much as other areas of his game" (I'm paraphrasing that).

Basically he's more concerned with what he feels will have a direct impact on winning a game, and thus that's what he's focused on improving.
I'm OK with him thinking that way however it doesn't mean that you shouldn't try hard to win the faceoff. If you pay attention he just doesn't try very hard to win it and that's what I have problem with when he takes faceoffs. At least give an effort to win it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I was gonna say. I just feel like he isn't bothered with them. He really seems pretty uninterested when he takes draws sometimes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sacrifices needed to be made and he sacrificed his faceoff ability. He wasn't bad on faceoffs in years 2-4 (49%) and put up 0.66 PPG. He has been bad on faceoffs in the three years since (42.7%) and has put up 1.30 PPG. :sarcasm:

I always thought the rule changes messed something up for him and he'd eventually figure it out but he just hasn't. Of course you'd want him winning more often but no big deal.

Speaking of faceoffs, these linesmen are getting more and more ridiculous. Some of it is probably because of the rules but some of these guys also really want some attention. I'm glad Pierre called it out on the national broadcast last game when both players were thrown out and the linesman just refused to drop the puck.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not sure it really matters much. Everybody always gripes about faceoffs, but just for fun, I looked up the current faceoff stats by team and compared them to their ranks in the standings league wide.

TeamFaceoff RankStandings Rank
Philadelphia Flyers112
Dallas Stars213
Toronto Maple Leafs322
Nashville Predators423
Vancouver Canucks516
Anaheim Ducks625
Winnipeg Jets78
Tampa Bay Lightning818
St. Louis Blues94
Los Angeles Kings1029
Florida Panthers1120
San Jose Sharks1224
Ottawa Senators1328
Vegas Golden Knights1415
Montreal Canadiens1517
Carolina Hurricanes167
New York Islanders173
Boston Bruins182
Washington Capitals191
Minnesota Wild2021
Pittsburgh Penguins219
Detroit Red Wings2231
Arizona Coyotes236
Chicago Blackhawks2426
Calgary Flames2511
Columbus Blue Jackets2627
Edmonton Oilers2710
Colorado Avalanche285
New Jersey Devils2930
New York Rangers3019
Buffalo Sabres3114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Aside from the top 3 teams in the league being bunched right in the very middle of the chart, I really can't see any kind of pattern here. Success at faceoffs seems to have no measurable impact on team success as a whole. So MacK can suck at faceoffs all he wants, as long as brings that winning attitude and talent to the ice every night he'll still be one of the best players in the world.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, my guess is it's the same reason the Avs 3 on 3 sucked last year, while their 5 on 5 was on point. He just doesn't practice it as much, because he wants to work on his shot instead. There's only so much time you have to work on everything.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
just one more thing he can still work on and be even better. Not a big deal except for OT when we have to pair him with PEB.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lol so true, Kadri is booted at least half of the time and just looks at the referee confused.

Kills me every time.

He doesn't seem to have the greatest relationship with the linesman either. He's always scowling and barking at them.

It's to the point where it feels like they're overly strict with him now because they don't want to do him any favors. I think that's part of why he gets kicked out so much. That one linesman a while back must have kicked him out 10-15 times in that game. I was as confused as Kadri was for a bunch of them.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Please just win the FO in critical situations like while on the PK and in OT?

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
With how crazy competitve and hard on himself Nate is, I would speculate that he was beating himself up over faceoffs. In order to let Nate channel his competitve energy towards actually winning hockey games they stopped having him practice faceoffs and practice winning hockey games instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad