Why is Nathan MacKinnon bad at Face-offs?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I completely fail to see why, in a game where clutching, grabbing, and slashing occur regularly that the refs and the league suddenly felt the need to legislate the living hell out of faceoffs. It's getting comical at times. JUST DROP THE DAMN PUCK. Who cares if guys cheat sometimes. Ron Francis openly admitted to cheating as have others. Big deal. It's just making games unnecessarily longer.

Adding to the ridiculousness is that they likely wouldn't have even called a penalty on Cody Eakin for a blatant cross-check right after the faceoff on Joe Pavelski if Pavs hadn't fallen awkwardly and cracked his head open.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I completely fail to see why, in a game where clutching, grabbing, and slashing occur regularly that the refs and the league suddenly felt the need to legislate the living hell out of faceoffs. It's getting comical at times. JUST DROP THE DAMN PUCK. Who cares if guys cheat sometimes. Ron Francis openly admitted to cheating as have others. Big deal. It's just making games unnecessarily longer.

Adding to the ridiculousness is that they likely wouldn't have even called a penalty on Cody Eakin for a blatant cross-check right after the faceoff on Joe Pavelski if Pavs hadn't fallen awkwardly and cracked his head open.
What bugs me the most is that they instituted the delay of game penalty for two players getting kicked out of the dot, but they never have the stones to actually call that penalty. I'll see a player get booted from the circle for jumping early, and then the next guy up does the exact same thing but the linesman won't kick them out and call the delay of game. Players are starting to get wise to that too, before you could see they were scared to go early and risk a power play, putting them at a disadvantage on the faceoff, but now nobody cares because they know the refs are too chicken to actually call the rule the way it's written.

I mean, it's fine to have the rule and I get why it's there, but either call it consistently or take it off the books, it's pointless to threaten something but never follow through.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Nathan Mother F'inKinnon knows you can't be a stud unless you hunt the puck down relentlessly and then throw it into the back of the net....

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I completely fail to see why, in a game where clutching, grabbing, and slashing occur regularly that the refs and the league suddenly felt the need to legislate the living hell out of faceoffs. It's getting comical at times. JUST DROP THE DAMN PUCK. Who cares if guys cheat sometimes. Ron Francis openly admitted to cheating as have others. Big deal. It's just making games unnecessarily longer

Face offs have always been and always will be (to an extent) who can cheat the most and get away with it.

I agree it’s getting ridiculous this year. Sometimes I think it’s just a linesman trying to flex their muscles a little bit. But it’s been happening way too much this season for it to just be that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Face offs have always been and always will be (to an extent) who can cheat the most and get away with it.

I agree it’s getting ridiculous this year. Sometimes I think it’s just a linesman trying to flex their muscles a little bit. But it’s been happening way too much this season for it to just be that.

I think these two posts kind of explain each other in a way. Instead of ever calling that penalty, they just got real strict with the first guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually see the first guy in obviously being a throw away lol.

Offsides is still my biggest pet peeve with the rules rN tho.

Reactions: Avs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Why was Forsberg bad at faceoffs? That i'll never understand.
Fundamentals. For all his greatness this was definetly a weak point for Foppa. I remember losing my shit in 01' against the Kings when he would lose every single draw haha I think it was game 5. I really hated it when Don Cherry called him out on it too haha.

Reactions: Iceberg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nathan loses alot of draws but when the team really needs a faceoff win like when we are down a goal with the net empty he seems to win those ones. Not sure what it is with him. Hes had some great people to teach him aswell Sakic, Crosby, ROR.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Half of the time it seems like he doesn't even try to win draws. He'll give a half hearted swipe backwards and if he gets it he gets it if not no f***s given. I think he doesn't want to take a slash to the wrists so he protects himself from most draws.

But like previously mentioned when they are super important draws he bears down and is usually pretty good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad