Why is it inconceivable for Matthews to be McDavid's equal?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Even if McDavid has this own personal tier, Matthews is not on the same tier.

That statement made no sense, that goes back to the same dribble that the majority of you Oilers fans are spewing. "McDavid is the best player, no one is on the same level"...hate to break it to ya, he wasn't even your best player in the playoffs.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
NBA: Lowry resigned a deal that paid him only 12 mill a year the last few years when his production warranted over 20 mill a year.

MLB: no cap, players go to the highest bidder, yet Bautista signed his 5 year deal well below what 40+ HR hitters were being paid.

NHL: Kadri just signed a deal that only pays him 4.5 a year when he could easily be making 6 mill a year when you have bum ass players like RNH making 6 mill a year.

So please don't act like good players have never taken a discount in Toronto. You don't know anything about Toronto obviously, your not in that calibre.

Yes, there are the odd player or two. Never disputed that. Always exceptions to the rule.

I know plenty about Toronto and have spent plenty of time in the city so don't presume to know me or who I am. And it's 'you're', by the way.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
I have had a change of heart, I think Austin Matthews is as good as Connor McDavid.

Hell I think he's better

and he should be paid like it!

:D

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This is just my un-educated guess based on nothing but seeing these kids play. I bet there are going to be season(s) where Matthews challenges McDavid. Heck, I could see him even beating McDavid for Art/Hart/Lindsay. It's not necessarily going to happen but I think it's entirely possible.

What is going to separate them is the consistency McDavid will bring. Not saying Matthews will fade away or anything. But I don't expect Matthews to be yearly contender for the Art similarly to McDavid.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Yes, there are the odd player or two. Never disputed that. Always exceptions to the rule.

I know plenty about Toronto and have spent plenty of time in the city so don't presume to know me or who I am. And it's 'you're', by the way.

Well "you're"not supposed to start a sentence with "and", but you got me there Soli. ;)

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
That statement made no sense, that goes back to the same dribble that the majority of you Oilers fans are spewing. "McDavid is the best player, no one is on the same level"...hate to break it to ya, he wasn't even your best player in the playoffs.

It was his first playoff but that means nothing on HF. Do you think it's possible he improves or has he topped out as a 20 year old?
And yea as much as it hurts haters Mcdavid and Crosby are on a different level than any other player in the league.

Im not so bitter that I blindly refuse to recognize talent on teams i hate. Anyone questioning CMD's status as the best player since Sid is just hating on talent cause he's not on your team.
We have him and you dont... sucks to be you

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
It was his first playoff but that means nothing on HF. Do you think it's possible he improves or has he topped out as a 20 year old?
And yea as much as it hurts haters Mcdavid and Crosby are on a different level than any other player in the league.

Im not so bitter that I blindly refuse to recognize talent on teams i hate. Anyone questioning CMD's status as the best player since Sid is just hating on talent cause he's not on your team.

I dont want any part of mcjesus crippling contract. Enjoying watching great players blossom in edmonton and then enjoy success elsewhere. You cant build a team around that kind if cap hit

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I dont want any part of mcjesus crippling contract. Enjoying watching great players blossom in edmonton and then enjoy success elsewhere. You cant build a team around that kind if cap hit

31 teams would give him that contract... Maybe you actually believe that and you're entitled to your opinion but i find it hard to believe 31 teams wouldn't do whatever's necessary to acquire CMD at that cap hit.
Without McDavid we are a middle of the pack team struggling every season. With him we are a threat every night. Id give him more if he wanted it because i cant see any 2 other players combined having the impact McDavid does. Agree to disagree i guess. Are the oilers better off with Price and Webber? Doubt it. I cant think of any 2 players, which would equal his cap hit that would make us better than having #97.
Just having him for 9 years is mind boggling as an Oiler fan. Ill pay that contract with a smile

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
31 teams would give him that contract... Maybe you actually believe that and you're entitled to your opinion but i find it hard to believe 31 teams wouldn't do whatever's necessary to acquire CMD at that cap hit.
Without McDavid we are a middle of the pack team struggling every season. With him we are a threat every night. Id give him more if he wanted it because i cant see any 2 other players combined having the impact McDavid does. Agree to disagree i guess. Are the oilers better off with Price and Webber? Doubt it. I cant think of any 2 players, which would equal his cap hit that would make us better than having #97.
Just having him for 9 years is mind boggling as an Oiler fan. Ill pay that contract with a smile

You wont win a cup with that cap hit.

And god help you if he goes down with another long term injury. Its a team game and you need the abolity to roll three to four lines.

Pittsburgh is going to laugh themselves all the way to a 3rd cup because their star knows this

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I dont think it's farfetched to say Matthews has a chance to reach the same tier as McDavid.

It's only been one season though, consistency is a skill and we'll have to wait and see where he goes from here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I dont think it's farfetched to say Matthews has a chance to reach the same tier as McDavid.

It's only been one season though, consistency is a skill and we'll have to wait and see where he goes from here.

This is an important point. A lot of people seem to think you can project entire careers after one season of play and get upset when others question their premature conclusions. Oh well, what can you do. I don't think Matthews will ever be on the same tier as McDavid myself, I think it's more likely that carves out a tier for himself, just slightly below. You never know though, when people say Matthews being McDavid's equal is inconceivable just tells me that they don't understand the meaning of the word.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

I hate this whole debate, but shouldn't the same be said for Matthews...it was his first year in the league and he scored 40 goals and 69 points. Do you think it's possible he improves or has he topped out as a 19 year old?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
From what I've seen from both players, there's no denying McDavid's break-neck speed. But from Matthews I see so many little reads and cerebral plays and I mean, the kid scored 40 goals in his first year! I won't be surprised Matthews ends up being the better player of the two or at least draws even, especially in their late 20s when McDavid's speed isn't as much of a factor or even just as defences adjust to McDavid's speed.

The next challenge for McDavid will be adjusting when the space isn't there. Right now he exploits opportunities to create separation with his speed. Matthews is already so multifaceted and he knows how to get things done in tight spaces. Maybe partly because he's so BIG! He's an absolute Bull at 19.

So yeah, I really don't think it's inconceivable that Matthews could be equal or better than McDavid, especially with how much is dependant on McD being able to use his speed to his advantage.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's not inconceivable, but highly unlikely given there is nothing to suggest to me that Matthews is half the playmaker McDavid has already shown he is. 70-29 assists is grand canyon like in the difference of playmaking ability for the 2. Also what is not mentioned here, is McDavid is going to be a better goal scorer as he learns to be less unselfish by shooting more. For those that pay attention. He has a very good shot. Even if Matthews improves, McDavid will too by who knows how much? I can see him scoring 40 goals next season. If he maintains his assists totals, and there is no reason to not think he will. The gap can be even larger next year. It's McDavid by a fair margin and then some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad