Why is it inconceivable for Matthews to be McDavid's equal?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Also McDavid is on the cover of NHL 18.

Thus.

McDavid > Matthews.

Agreed

19366536_10155415066067128_1145597733192555_n.jpg

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I've thought about it some more and the biggest issue with Mattews and why he'll never be as good as McDavid is because he's American :sarcasm: Americans don't play hockey well

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
As a Leaf fan he simply lacks the dynamic skill set that McDavid has as well as that crazy speed.

Matthews will be great and probably a better defensive player, but McDavid is in a different tier from every other player not named Crosby.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
yeah, that was a bit confusing to me, no offence to mcdaddy, but he didn't deserve a single vote. mcdaddy is better now and likely going forward but Matthews defensive acumen is tiers above.
Yea sorry but Mcdavid plays very well away from the puck and many times this season he was the sole reason by stopping a goal by his speed and back checking his +- was also one of the best in the league which has won Bergeron more than one. McDavid is 2 way for sure

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010
McDavid's averaged over a point a game since game 7 of his career.

He scores with more regularity then Matthews does (the average games between goals, not total) and the assist difference speaks for itself.

Matthews is an elite scorer (he goes on insane runs when he's hot) but too much value is placed on the magic "40" number. Players who scored 39, 38, 37 are pretty much right there with him and missed one more bounce or two.

Matthew's gifted defensive acumen is just grasping at straws. McDavid is good if not better. You don't notice it as much simply because the ice is tilted in McDavid's favor so often. When he does get caught as all players do, it becomes a focal point because pundits are looking for that moment.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Why does Eichel show up on these threads? Not sure he's earned his way.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's not inconceivable. If he ever becomes as good or better, we will accept it. To this point, he has done nothing throughout his life to put him on the same level as McDavid.

Matthews is a great player. In a tier with guys like Seguin and Tavares. Enjoy it, many teams would kill for a player like that.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
But he just scored 40 goals as a 18 year old rookie how often does that happen

It was impressive, but it's only one season. as everyone and their mommy's have said already. Until he does what McDavid can already do, he'll always be a distant second. Matthew can score. McDavid can do everything else. And until Matthews proves it, what else is there really to talk about? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad