Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I understand making fun of Leafs' fans obsession with Dubas but then I imagine Mike "I hate journalists asking tough questions" Sullivan becoming the coach of the Leafs and realize I would be very tempted to troll the Leafs fans if Mr. "We didn't get to our game" fails spectacularly.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Also, this whole "we owe it to them, we're so spoiled" stuff is so f***ing lame. :laugh: Parasocial relationships are weird, man.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Leaf fan here. I just wanted to thank the Penguin management for taking the Boy Genius, Dubas, off our hands.

Pens fan here. Do you also stalk your ex's on Facebook and post trolling remarks on her page to find out how terrible her new beau is?

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
If they actually want to retire as Pens then I completely agree. We owe it to them.

I just am not so sure that they all do. Malkin, maybe. He had the chance to go elsewhere during his last contract negotiations and said that he would retire if not playing for the Pens. But the rest? After reading some recent comments I am not so sure.

But again, if they want to remain and to finish here, then I am all for granting them that wish.
Friedman has said in the past he thinks Sid signs a three year deal on July 1st. But yesterday he thinks it now could be a two year deal. I can definitely see that happening. It ensures he stays with the Pens with Malkin for his final two years and then gives him one more year to assess where we are — whether we’ve turned it around or not — and then maybe being a TDL move in his final season to a Cup contender.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, probably. I think Sid's quite a bit better than Geno anymore, but it is what it is at this point.
I think Sid is just a better finisher which bears out in the goal totals. It's hilarious how bad Geno is at shooting now considering we had fans whinging constantly about how his linemates screw up the chances he "creates." Meanwhile Geno has the shooting yips himself.

Sid is just as bad defensively. The "best 200 foot player" is PR/Media reverance to a legend nonsense. I don't even care what the NHL players say about this. It's the same stuff as NBA players ranking Kobe Top 10 currently right before he retired.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I understand making fun of Leafs' fans obsession with Dubas but then I imagine Mike "I hate journalists asking tough questions" Sullivan becoming the coach of the Leafs and realize I would be very tempted to troll the Leafs fans if Mr. "We didn't get to our game" fails spectacularly.
I think the massive difference is we pretty much know what Dubas is and what to expect. We weren't under the illusion that he was the greatest GM ever, so Leaf fans constantly "reminding" us that he's got some flaws is silly.

In the case of Sullivan, the "I told you sos" are more justified because the rest of the NHL still seems to think Sullivan is a great coach and that us Pens fans are just spoiled dumb dumbs who don't know what we're talking about.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Sid is just a better finisher which bears out in the goal totals. It's hilarious how bad Geno is at shooting now considering we had fans whinging constantly about how his linemates screw up the chances he "creates." Meanwhile Geno has the shooting yips himself.

Sid is just as bad defensively. The "best 200 foot player" is PR/Media reverance to a legend nonsense. I don't even care what the NHL players say about this. It's the same stuff as NBA players ranking Kobe Top 10 currently right before he retired.
Yeah, that "best 200ft player" thing has been bullshit for years. Sid's line has been awful defensively. Jake was every bit as bad as Phil away from the puck. Rust stopped giving a shit about that aspect of the game years ago. Rakell is a whatever middle-6 guy who does precisely nothing well. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, that "best 200ft player" thing has been bullshit for years. Sid's line has been awful defensively. Jake was every bit as bad as Phil away from the puck. Rust stopped giving a shit about that aspect of the game years ago. Rakell is a whatever middle-6 guy who does precisely nothing well. /shrug

It's basically copium to call him elite when the 3 Ms + Draisatl are much better offensively.

Like, I see Bergeron and Marchand. That is actually being elite defensively.

It's garbage and another divorced from reality thing.
"The fans want us to keep trying"
"We are so lucky to have Sullivan"
"We have the best 200 foot player in hockey"

Just more and more ridiculous BS. It should run for president.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
And most people loved those deals.

When was the last time this was successful for a rebuild?

Every team that has taken this approach is literally still doing it.

Tampa, Colorado, and Vegas have attempted to be competitive every year regardless.
I'm not exactly in a hurry to become the next Buffalo Sabres, but we're headed for that fate regardless.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Glad we are back to the Sid is overrated nonsense.

There is a Washington Capitals forum if you like that topic.
Sid's a top-5 player all time. He's also like 40+ points behind the league's best offensive players anymore, and his defensive game isn't good. None of those things are mutually exclusive. /shrug

Earlier in the year I thought he was the most important player to his team out of anybody in the league. I was wrong.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not exactly in a hurry to become the next Buffalo Sabres, but we're headed for that fate regardless.

The issue with a lot of these organizations is a lack of culture.

I know the last few years have been frustrating, but regardless of how you feel about the on ice product there has been a lot of comments related to how players love playing here and we've seen that.

I would prefer Dubas takes a proactive approach to making sure we are at least attempting to win while we have stars here versus just selling everything off, regardless if they can actually do it or not.

Sid, Malkin and Letang will retire eventually and it'll be easy to recoup the assets needed at that time. I see no need in rushing a rebuild and burning bridges with franchise legends.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't have any problem admitting that it's very near the end for the core. But they aren't AWFUL players. And I DO cringe a little bit at like... the borderline glee some get at the thought of chucking them overboard.

Ya'll stand a good chance of never seeing ONE player like that here, again. Much less two at once.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey, I just got a message that I have just been awarded a Trophy called 'Devoted' for being on HF exactly 20 years.

I am not sure if that is an accomplishment or an indictment.
three year contract in the books for sure, you'll fit right in

I don't have any problem admitting that it's very near the end for the core. But they aren't AWFUL players. And I DO cringe a little bit at like... the borderline glee some get at the thought of chucking them overboard.

Ya'll stand a good chance of never seeing ONE player like that here, again. Much less two at once.
I am completely in as long as they even drag their half dead corpse across the ice, watched many sports and had many favorite players but I have never had a personal fan type devotion and admiration to anyone ever like that...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah but we COULD get one if we sell everyone off and tell them to go f*** themselves because we need to get a 2nd round pick and a bunch of Finnish dudes for Evgeni Malkin.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah but we COULD get one if we sell everyone off and tell them to go f*** themselves because we need to get a 2nd round pick and a bunch of Finnish dudes for Evgeni Malkin.

I hesitate to call fans spoiled. But sometimes (and I include myself, here) I feel like we don't completely grasp how good these guys have been. What winners they have been. And honestly for their age and mileage still are.

It will be easier to see when they are long gone and we all have the big sad because the best the team will be able to do is like... a Mitch Marner level of player or something.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I hesitate to call fans spoiled. But sometimes (and I include myself, here) I feel like we don't completely grasp how good these guys have been. What winners they have been. And honestly for their age and mileage still are.

It will be easier to see when they are long gone and we all have the big sad because the best the team will be able to do is like... a Mitch Marner level of player or something.

All those fans that brag about how "they rooted for the Penguins during the dark days" going to get a real treat. We went from a ECF in 01 to having Sidney Crosby in 05.

Maybe some of those long timers who actually watched the Penguins before Mario would have better context on what "dark days" truly look like. Which is why regardless of what we actually do, I prefer Dubas at least attempt to try and win while Sid, Malkin, EK65 and Letang are still hanging around.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They're not rebuilding, unless people were not listening to them they are merely reshaping/retooling on the fly.
With calculated moves they can be a playoff team.
Back to everyone's wishful thinking.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, watch or don't. Nobody cares. You're not stockpiling brownie points for watching a product you don't enjoy at all; either now or in the future post-Sid/Geno. :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

We haven't seen a player like that since Covid cut short Geno's 2019-2020.

We will see many better players than 2024 Crosby and Malkin. Hell, we may have just traded one.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad