Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Leaf fan here. I just wanted to thank the Penguin management for taking the Boy Genius, Dubas, off our hands.
Why do Leaf fans keep coming here to take shots at their GM who left them? And he did just that. Left them. He gave them an ultimatum and they did not accept. Obsessed much? You all sound like a drunk guy who is still complaining about the girl that left him for a better-looking guy two years later.

Dubas is still an incomplete in my book. He has been put into an unwinnable situation, not able to rebuild or to "go all in". So, until he gets a chance to actually rebuild, I am withholding judgement.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What some fans are not accepting is that the players simply are old. Except of course Crosby who made a deal with the Devil and never ages.

Not useless by any stretch, but no longer a core that can carry a team. Some still believe that a different coach and better support players would suddenly make this team cup favorites again. It is delusional.

People forget that except for one year when they did add some key players when the core was still in their prime, the Pens always had mediocre players in the bottom six and/or on lower pairing defense. The core was talented enough to win anyways. That no longer is the case. And some have a problem accepting that.

Management and ownership? They are not idiots. They know all of the above. But this play sells tickets.

The core players? They seemed to be buying into it until this last swoon and the trade of Jake. I actively wondered why competitive players would want to go out that way. Especially Crosby who would make any talented team a Cup favorite. Recent comments seem to show that he is much more conflicted about the idea.
The funny thing is, the arena looks more and more empty with each passing month these past few seasons. Maybe they're still selling the tickets, but people have stopped going to the games.

Once Sid retires, they're gonna have to give away tickets again so the arena isn't a total ghost town.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The funny thing is, the arena looks more and more empty with each passing month these past few seasons. Maybe they're still selling the tickets, but people have stopped going to the games.

Once Sid retires, they're gonna have to give away tickets again so the arena isn't a total ghost town.
I’ve turned down free tickets to 2 games in the last week or so.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

And it will be a lot more fun. If they stop blaring music at a gazillion decibels that will help too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The thing is, for me at least I could enjoy a rebuild more than this weird in between sort of place where it feels like we are just walking in place and waiting for the inevitable rebuild in two or three years while going nowhere.

Fans like watching young talented players develop so while attendance will be impacted, I don't believe that it will completely crater.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What some fans are not accepting is that the players simply are old. Except of course Crosby who made a deal with the Devil and never ages.

Not useless by any stretch, but no longer a core that can carry a team. Some still believe that a different coach and better support players would suddenly make this team cup favorites again. It is delusional.

People forget that except for one year when they did add some key players when the core was still in their prime, the Pens always had mediocre players in the bottom six and/or on lower pairing defense. The core was talented enough to win anyways. That no longer is the case. And some have a problem accepting that.

Management and ownership? They are not idiots. They know all of the above. But this play sells tickets.

The core players? They seemed to be buying into it until this last swoon and the trade of Jake. I actively wondered why competitive players would want to go out that way. Especially Crosby who would make any talented team a Cup favorite. Recent comments seem to show that he is much more conflicted about the idea.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The thing is, for me at least I could enjoy a rebuild more than this weird in between sort of place where it feels like we are just walking in place and waiting for the inevitable rebuild in two or three years while going nowhere.

Fans like watching young talented players develop so while attendance will be impacted, I don't believe that it will completely crater.
This slopshit hockey, dysfunctional FOs, and the team making the dumbest possible decisions at every turn for the past six years is infinitely worse than blowing the team up and watching them try and rebuild. Cannot be convinced otherwise. I have no idea why people cling to this era with white knuckle grip when it's been dead for years.

If Sid and Geno want out, so be it. People talk about "doing right by" Sid and Geno; well, that ain't happening here and that ship's sailed, so doing right by them might just be letting them chase a Cup elsewhere. /shrug

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You guys are such dorks by the way.

Sid, Malkin and Letang want to retire Penguins. That is their legacy.

I know they are emotional right now, but Sid and Malkin are going to retire Penguins and we owe it to them and I don't really see the big issue at all.

Maybe Letang gets traded towards the end of his contract.

Trading Sid and Malkin does nothing but open up cap space while you are still stuck with Jarry, Rust, Rakell, etc.

It doesn't help a rebuild.

We have two seasons where we miss the playoffs and "the era is immediately over". Like Jesus Christ spoiled brat takes.

Whole lotta people trying to be like "I told you so" after this team and core should've been in the ground five years ago.

Welcome to most NHL teams. They are just hoping to make the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You guys are such dorks by the way.

Sid, Malkin and Letang want to retire Penguins. That is their legacy.

I know they are emotional right now, but Sid and Malkin are going to retire Penguins and we owe it to them and I don't really see the big issue at all.

Maybe Letang gets traded towards the end of his contract.

Trading Sid and Malkin does nothing but open up cap space while you are still stuck with Jarry, Rust, Rakell, etc.

It doesn't help a rebuild.

We have two seasons where we miss the playoffs and "the era is immediately over". Like Jesus Christ spoiled brat takes.
If they actually want to retire as Pens then I completely agree. We owe it to them.

I just am not so sure that they all do. Malkin, maybe. He had the chance to go elsewhere during his last contract negotiations and said that he would retire if not playing for the Pens. But the rest? After reading some recent comments I am not so sure.

But again, if they want to remain and to finish here, then I am all for granting them that wish.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Then they can retire Penguins alongside a roster of AHL fodder goblins as the team tears it down to studs and bolts and begins the rebuild. If they wanna stick around, cool. If they want out because they don't want to be a part of that, also cool. Still needs to happen either way. (But it won't because this team's deranged.)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Exactly. Your mindset and your favorite Ron did that.

And most people loved those deals.

Then they can retire Penguins alongside a roster of AHL fodder goblins as the team tears it down to studs and bolts and begins the rebuild. If they wanna stick around, cool. If they want out because they don't want to be a part of that, also cool. Still needs to happen either way. (But it won't because this team's deranged.)

When was the last time this was successful for a rebuild?

Every team that has taken this approach is literally still doing it.

Tampa, Colorado, and Vegas have attempted to be competitive every year regardless.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

And I think you need to change your mind that a Crosby team is incapable of finishing bottom 5. I mean, watch the last 2 weeks. This is a Crosby team. Just as they finished at the bottom with Mario at the end.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And most people loved those deals.

When was the last time this was successful for a rebuild?

Every team that has taken this approach is literally still doing it.

Tampa, Colorado, and Vegas have attempted to be competitive every year regardless.
What? A complete teardown and rebuild from the ground up via draft? I'd say pretty much all teams in recent memory, save for Vegas (anomaly) and St. Louis have been built through the draft.

This team doesn't have the luxury of being a NYC, Vegas, LA, Florida, Chicago, etc., meaning a destination multimillionaires want to live. They're not gonna be able to half-ass things and cut corners with some lame retool on the fly shit.
And I think you need to change your mind that a Crosby team is incapable of finishing bottom 5. I mean, watch the last 2 weeks. This is a Crosby team. Just as they finished at the bottom with Mario at the end.
Pretty much. If Sid turns into what Geno is now come next season, and it's entirely possible, then this team's gonna tank while still having all those notable names that people owe things to, or whatever lame, sentimental bullshit people throw around.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tampa, Colorado and Vegas have much, much, much, much better hockey players than we do.

Pretty much. If Sid turns into what Geno is now come next season, and it's entirely possible, then this team's gonna tank while still having all those notable names that people owe things to, or whatever lame, sentimental bullshit people throw around.
I think he already is what Geno is, except he had Guentzel and the media narrative that he was still top 10. Which has been completely exposed as false.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Tampa, Colorado and Vegas have much, much, much, much better hockey players than we do.

I think he already is what Geno is, except he had Guentzel and the media narrative that he was still top 10. Which has been completely exposed as false.
Yeah, probably. I think Sid's quite a bit better than Geno anymore, but it is what it is at this point.

People get to keep their safety blanket players and the team can still collect top prospects to prepare for the rebuild after Sid's final Olympics in 2026. Best of all worlds, I guess.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don’t think Dubas can accept it. From the way he talks he’s ready to try and run it back next year.

Unfortunately for him we’re rebuilding if he likes it or not because it looks like this team is not going to be competitive for a while.

Jake leaving really exposed how little scoring talent we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad