Why is attendance so bad this year?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
For you maybe. Paying for NHL tickets include a lot more than 60 minutes of hockey for me and a lot of others. I'd guess that's who they're talking to.

LZ: So what does it mean to you? I ask because considering you're a regular here, I assumed that going to Sharks games is primarily about seeing the Sharks on-ice product live and in-person, both because you love the team and the entertainment value of seeing the Sharks in-person.

Putting aside the Sharks team on-ice, what is lacking when you go to games at SAP?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
LZ: So what does it mean to you? I ask because considering you're a regular here, I assumed that going to Sharks games is primarily about seeing the Sharks on-ice product live and in-person, both because you love the team and the entertainment value of seeing the Sharks in-person.

Putting aside the Sharks team on-ice, what is lacking when you go to games at SAP?

I go for the whole event. The socializing, the overall atmosphere and hockey. Complaining about the team is a pregame ritual for us outside in the smoking area.

Now, do I stop going because of the goal song or giveaways. Of course not. I do appreciate that they are doing more meet and greets for STH's. That they are reaching out. That they held a Fan Fest this year. And I hope they continue to reach out to fans and listen to their opinions on making them feel more a part of the team. Many fans I've talked to have said that's been lacking for years and a couple I know have taken their complaints directly to DW.

I'd also like to point out that a dip in sales is not the end of the world. There are still a large majority of fans still buying tickets to see these "losers" play hockey. There aren't that many franchises I know that don't suffer tickets sale losses when they regress.

The Niners tickets are easy to get now, though I can't find the numbers. They're the only ones not listed on this site LOL. But they are also the new shiny toy in Silicon Valley.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2015

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'd also add that having the Draft Parties the last couple years and the Prospects game at the Tank were also good changes that I appreciate.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'd also add that having the Draft Parties the last couple years and the Prospects game at the Tank were also good changes that I appreciate.

All those things you listed are good and I'm not against them, but if the steak is low quality no amount of sauce is going to make it taste palatable.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
All those things you listed are good and I'm not against them, but if the steak is low quality no amount of sauce is going to make it taste palatable.

Sounds like you're talking about the NBA. :p:

And? Are you trying to be profound? Nobody likes losing. We made the PO's for 10 consecutive seasons. If that ain't good enough for you to keep watching when the team dips I don't know what to tell you. It happens to almost every franchise in sports. Go root for the Hawks I guess?

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area

One thing lacking is a more sport atmosphere. I'm not even sure that's the term I'm looking for. I grew up near Boston and would go to Bruins games. When play got exciting everybody was on their feet with excitement. There was a huge amount of cheering. People went crazy with goals and wins. Here, we're told right away to not sit too far forward to obstruct others view. That's a killer right away. Sitting tight for a hockey game? I know that they want the family atmosphere and all, but I used to take my little brother (when he was between 7 and 12) to Bruins games and he would wear a Canadiens jersey. Yeah we got razzed but nothing bad. Increase the excitement. Let people have more fun. That would improve the experience.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

And? Are you trying to be profound? Nobody likes losing. We made the PO's for 10 consecutive seasons. If that ain't good enough for you to keep watching when the team dips I don't know what to tell you. It happens to almost every franchise in sports. Go root for the Hawks I guess?

Come on, people posting on a message board aren't going to quit a team because they miss the playoffs. I thought that was a given. I'm talking about the fans that aren't as hardcore. Entertainment doesn't do enough to get them in the seats. The most important thing for selling out arenas is success.

My only thought is that money should be diverted towards the product on the ice before anything else. I see some things that could be improved in that respect, such as our minor league development

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I am going to guess that lots of sth don't mind the losing so much, if there is any signs of trying to win. From offseason to end of season wilson showed 0 signs of wanting to put a winning or exciting team on the ice last year.

Every one for the most part that is willing to give out 10k+ for season tickets is going to be smart enough to see through all of wilson double talk last year and call bull on him. That also wears on a fan base also.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I am going to guess that lots of sth don't mind the losing so much, if there is any signs of trying to win. From offseason to end of season wilson showed 0 signs of wanting to put a winning or exciting team on the ice last year.

Every one for the most part that is willing to give out 10k+ for season tickets is going to be smart enough to see through all of wilson double talk last year and call bull on him. That also wears on a fan base also.

What double talk is that? Talk you don't like is not double talk. Are you seriously going to agree with some that he should have gone out and wasted assets to get veterans last year to make some feeble attempt to make the post season that would have gotten us nowhere near a cup? He clearly said he wasn't going to do that and rightly so. Short term pain for long term gain.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Come on, people posting on a message board aren't going to quit a team because they miss the playoffs. I thought that was a given. I'm talking about the fans that aren't as hardcore. Entertainment doesn't do enough to get them in the seats. The most important thing for selling out arenas is success.

My only thought is that money should be diverted towards the product on the ice before anything else. I see some things that could be improved in that respect, such as our minor league development

They are spending to the CAP. They have gone out and got young free agents that are actually playing in the NHL and another undrafted player in Cavan Fitzgerald. Well, when they're not hurt. They are clearly spending money on development, scouting and signings other than at the pro level. They made 3 great acquisitions in the off season IMO. None of this matters to the casual fan, if they even know about it, or ticket brokers whom I'm sure have reduced their inventory.

I guess I see the drop in sales as expected and nothing to make a big deal about. The real test will be after next year when Marleau and Thornton may be gone and if some of our prospects don't pan out or exceed some expectations or if we don't trade some assets at that time for a "star" player.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I go for the whole event. The socializing, the overall atmosphere and hockey.

Thanks for responding, and so in depth too. You saying this reminds me of our Sharks fanclub in Dallas and how it irks me that we have some members that never sit in our group seats (which are lower bowl in a corner where the Sharks shoot twice). I just think it would be fun to create a "home" section in Dallas (especially when we only get 1-2 games a season, and this season is only a 1 visit to Dallas season), and yeah, I guess that is more than just the hockey itself, it's about the social aspect and camraderie.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wilson has done and said a lot of things, but he was pretty much true to his word last offseason and did pretty much what the owner said needed to be done this past offseason.

sjsharky

Sep 9, 2007
Mendocino Coast
Guys... you've got it all wrong. It's not about the team on the ice or the ticket price increase. The low attendance is a direct result of getting rid or RRP2 for the goal song.

I know you say this in jest, but I do think the changing of the song is in some ways a symptom of a wider problem, and that is that this organization is taking a brand that was doing extremely well, and keeps needlessly changing things. It's the same thing with Drew Remenda, and ice girls, new colors on the uniforms, etc.

One of the best parts of following a pro sports team is being a part of long standing traditions and the nostalgia and familiarity that's associated with that. And I think every time the organization makes needless changes--even small ones, like the goal song--it eats away at the feeling of connection that fans have with the team. I really think they ought to learn the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
The low attendance this year isn't necessarily because the team didn't make the playoffs last year. It's partly because the team was boring last year and partly because going to games is really expensive. Last nights game, despite the loss, was more entertaining than almost any of their games last year. I do think the rising cost of living is playing somewhat of a factor. Even the cheap seats are a significant investment. $80 for 2 tickets, $25 for parking, $20 for 2 beers, and another $15 for 2 hot dogs. $140 for a night out for 2 is a lot to ask. A family of 4 is going to spend a minimum of $250. It's not just ticket prices that are keeping people away, it's the cost of everything. You can still take a family of 4 to the movies for less than $75 and that's with popcorn and soda for everybody.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
The low attendance this year isn't necessarily because the team didn't make the playoffs last year. It's partly because the team was boring last year and partly because going to games is really expensive. Last nights game, despite the loss, was more entertaining than almost any of their games last year. I do think the rising cost of living is playing somewhat of a factor. Even the cheap seats are a significant investment. $80 for 2 tickets, $25 for parking, $20 for 2 beers, and another $15 for 2 hot dogs. $140 for a night out for 2 is a lot to ask. A family of 4 is going to spend a minimum of $250. It's not just ticket prices that are keeping people away, it's the cost of everything. You can still take a family of 4 to the movies for less than $75 and that's with popcorn and soda for everybody.

Just a note for those on a budget:

If you can walk 3 blocks, you can park for $5 or less. I parked indoors in a secured lot for $5.

You can bring your own food--many, many people do. They had banned plastic bottled drinks earlier this year, but may have relaxed that? I saw people drinking Coke/Diet Coke last night.

Can't help you with the beer per se, but the Whole Foods on the other side of the tracks always has a few people having a cold one on the patio pre-game--it's certainly cheaper than most local bars.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
That's funny...you'd think they'd give us Sharks season ticket holders (who pay them 5.4x as much) free tickets to the Barracuda.

I didn't get an email, but two (free, I guess) tickets for the CBJ game showed up in My Sharks Account.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
Just a note for those on a budget:

If you can walk 3 blocks, you can park for $5 or less. I parked indoors in a secured lot for $5.

You can bring your own food--many, many people do. They had banned plastic bottled drinks earlier this year, but may have relaxed that? I saw people drinking Coke/Diet Coke last night.

Can't help you with the beer per se, but the Whole Foods on the other side of the tracks always has a few people having a cold one on the patio pre-game--it's certainly cheaper than most local bars.

Even though there are options to reduce those money outflow, there is a cost to parking 3 blocks away. Those cost may reduce the financial burden, but for a family of 4 it may not be worth it to walk the three blocks with children in tow.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
My dad and I found an area where it's Free parking and you walk like 3 blocks. It fits our needs, but I get why a family of four wouldn't want to do that. There is some expensive parking there, I've noticed.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I didn't get an email, but two (free, I guess) tickets for the CBJ game showed up in My Sharks Account.

I just got an email telling me that they have given me 2 complimentary tickets to the Nov 10 Islander game - and that they have been added to my account, with 11/9 5pm deadline to print or forward them.

My seats are in Sec 201, Row 13. They gave me the comps in Sec 208, Row 11.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I just got an email telling me that they have given me 2 complimentary tickets to the Nov 10 Islander game - and that they have been added to my account, with 11/9 5pm deadline to print or forward them.

My seats are in Sec 201, Row 13. They gave me the comps in Sec 208, Row 11.

We got same email. 2 in 203 Row 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad