Why is attendance so bad this year?

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
If anyone who got free tickets to the Islanders game isn't using them, feel free to let me know. My wife's parents are huge Islanders fans.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I guess I see the drop in sales as expected and nothing to make a big deal about. The real test will be after next year when Marleau and Thornton may be gone and if some of our prospects don't pan out or exceed some expectations or if we don't trade some assets at that time for a "star" player.

Agreed.

I don't think the fan base has shrunk. It's more that, if you're a fan who is used to going to 8 games or so per year--between the lower quality of play, the lower expectations, and the higher prices--maybe now you only go to 6 games per year. Same number of fans going to multiple games, but if a bunch of people attend 25% less games in person that hurts overall ticket sales and leads to non-sellouts.

It's not the end of the world, and as I said before, financially it may even be better for the Sharks org (when you're only about 10% or less below capacity, the value of the unsold single-game tickets may be more than made up for by the higher prices charged on all the other sold tickets).

But you're right.....the time to start worrying is if things go sour this year, too, and the prospects don't pan out such that the Sharks are poised to miss the playoffs for several years to come.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
My dad and I found an area where it's Free parking and you walk like 3 blocks. It fits our needs, but I get why a family of four wouldn't want to do that.

Ehh, it's not too difficult.

Dad drops mom and the kids off near the entrance on either side with their tickets, then drives a few blocks away to the free parking and jogs the 3 blocks back to the arena with his ticket in hand, probably getting there about the same time as mom & the kids.

Or, rather, without the kids in tow, dad walks the 3 blocks to the arena slowly.....very slowly.

Or, rather, without the kids in tow, dad sits in the car with some soft music on the radio and his eyes closed for 10 peaceful minutes of solitude......until he gets a text from his wife that says "Where r u?!" to which he replies "Just found a spot, on my way"

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Expensive ticket and a team that hasn't played to its ability since Sutter was coach. That playoff loss to the Kings was the final straw. Add in a Warriors team that hasn't been evident for the history of the team. That team plays hard every night and they have 17,000 fans in their waiting list now.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Expensive ticket and a team that hasn't played to its ability since Sutter was coach. That playoff loss to the Kings was the final straw. Add in a Warriors team that hasn't been evident for the history of the team. That team plays hard every night and they have 17,000 fans in their waiting list now.

I was watching the Warriors tonight and was thinking, who on the Sharks is that exciting player you have to watch? Is it Pavelski? Hertl? The reason I ask is because I wonder if the Warriors are taking a lot of the attendence away. Watching Steph Curry's 3rd Quarter, it's almost like watching the birth of Michael Jordan greatness in action. I'm not saying he's better than MJ (At least not yet) but he's so incredibly fun to watch. Not only that, but that entire team is incredibly fun to watch and that's why they won the Championship last year. I was hoping Hertl would be that guy on the Sharks but while he's looked improved this year, he doesn't scream "fun to watch" yet.

Felys

Sep 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I was watching the Warriors tonight and was thinking, who on the Sharks is that exciting player you have to watch? Is it Pavelski? Hertl? The reason I ask is because I wonder if the Warriors are taking a lot of the attendence away. Watching Steph Curry's 3rd Quarter, it's almost like watching the birth of Michael Jordan greatness in action. I'm not saying he's better than MJ (At least not yet) but he's so incredibly fun to watch. Not only that, but that entire team is incredibly fun to watch and that's why they won the Championship last year. I was hoping Hertl would be that guy on the Sharks but while he's looked improved this year, he doesn't scream "fun to watch" yet.

Hertl was fun as hell to watch until he got "hit cleanly" by Dustin Brown :\

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I think that the same rule applies... winning makes the game so much more fun

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I hope he does but it is taking a while.

He was out of shape last season bc he couldn't train over the summer. It's possible that one of his knees was bothering him last season as well. (IIRC, he had some kind of knee injury when he returned his rookie season. I was never sure if he'd re-injured the same knee or injured the other one since, as is typical for the Sharks, we didn't learn about it until the season was over. I may be mis-remembering when the second knee injury occurred, though.)

This summer he had time to train and also fix his diet so that he's not hampered by his food allergies. It's been 10 games. I think he looks much better so far and that the points will come. We'll see.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
Ehh, it's not too difficult.

Dad drops mom and the kids off near the entrance on either side with their tickets, then drives a few blocks away to the free parking and jogs the 3 blocks back to the arena with his ticket in hand, probably getting there about the same time as mom & the kids.

Or, rather, without the kids in tow, dad walks the 3 blocks to the arena slowly.....very slowly.

Or, rather, without the kids in tow, dad sits in the car with some soft music on the radio and his eyes closed for 10 peaceful minutes of solitude......until he gets a text from his wife that says "Where r u?!" to which he replies "Just found a spot, on my way"

I don't think you're getting it. The alternatives you're suggesting take away from the experience. Driving up to the arena, getting hotdogs and sodas is part of the total fan experience. Bringing in Sandwiches or getting drinks before the game or walking several blocks is not the same. It makes it less desirable to go to the game overall. Fine if your a diehard fan to make those sacrafices. Not so much for the average casual fan.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pretty much^^^

Does anyone seriously believe the sharks are a contender? So far it seem that their very ceiling is a 7-8 seed that will be eliminated quickly.

Yes...but counterpoint: That's a lot less fun to think about. I like to go into games thinking the team will win and complaining when they lose. If I go into games thinking they'll lose, I'll just get numb to the experience and even if they win, I'll just think "welp they're gonna lose the next one." so whatever.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The team is boring and mediocre, bad attendance is to be expected.

I know you are being somewhat sarcastic, but this is false. They actually play a fun brand of hockey. Their losses this year are more fun to watch than TMac wins. Zone entries are exciting.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Just got an email from our rep saying they are giving us 2 free tickets to the game tomorrow vs CBJ.

They must be hurting real bad. Might actually finally be a good year to be a STH from a giveaway perspective.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just got an email from our rep saying they are giving us 2 free tickets to the game tomorrow vs CBJ.

They must be hurting real bad. Might actually finally be a good year to be a STH from a giveaway perspective.

Wish they did something for like 10 pak holders. I wouldn't mind a free ticket to the panthers game, for example.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
If anyone isn't using their free tickets for tonight, happy to take them off your hands :)

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I was watching the Warriors tonight and was thinking, who on the Sharks is that exciting player you have to watch? Is it Pavelski? Hertl?

Honestly though, hockey doesn't work that way. It doesn't spotlight individuals (other than goalies). Even if you say Ovie or Sid is an exciting player you have to watch, they are playing 30-45 second shifts and then off the ice. On the other hand, the NBA stars are on the court more, for longer durations of time, and NBA basketball is such that it puts the spotlight on individual, like when someone is one on one with Curry and Curry does something stupidly amazing. 2015 Curry could do that even if the rest of his team were the 2003 Warriors. Take Ovie and put him on the 92-93 Sharks and he's not going to be able to do anything. Or be that exciting to watch, despite the crazy talent.

Not only that, but that entire team is incredibly fun to watch and that's why they won the Championship last year.

They won a Championship because they were fun to watch? Come on. They won a title because they had—and still have—a LETHAL combo of great offense and killer defense. There's plenty of teams in sports (basketball, hockey or otherwise) that are fun to watch and don't win titles. The Warriors didn't win the NBA title because their game is fun for fans to watch.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Hasso needs to set a precedent and be the first owner to lower ticket prices in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad