News Article: Why I hate the Ottawa Senators

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Why I Hate the Ottawa Senators

Today, we cover the most boring and meaningless team in the North Division who are not the Winnipeg Jets. And before I tell you why I hate them, I have to confess a couple of things, clear my conscience.

I quite like Brady Tkachuk. I watched him in the WJC in Buffalo and was impressed, and I think he’s a good player. Connor Brown is a hell of a guy, and anyone who hates him hates Irish Setters or Golden Retrievers. I also appreciate the problems of running an NHL team on a budget. Particularly in Canada. I sympathize!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember when Toronto had no expectations, tanked a season on purpose and then bragged about their stunning reversal after they had put together the worst roster they could to get Auston Matthews.

I guess the author is just nostalgic for when the Leafs weren't the league's current choke champions.

Maybe we should write a condescending article on what it's like to win a playoff series and how they should behave, since it's been so long in Leaf Nation.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Today, we cover the most boring and meaningless team in the North Division who are not the Winnipeg Jets. And before I tell you why I hate them, I have to confess a couple of things, clear my conscience.

I quite like Brady Tkachuk. I watched him in the WJC in Buffalo and was impressed, and I think he’s a good player. Connor Brown is a hell of a guy, and anyone who hates him hates Irish Setters or Golden Retrievers. I also appreciate the problems of running an NHL team on a budget. Particularly in Canada. I sympathize!
Yawn. Always painful when a mediocre person tries to write an inflammatory article.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The closing paragraph is hilarious

I hate the Sens because they’re in the best season of their lives (yes I know they believe that Cup run was real, but come on). We just have to wait it out. The storm clouds of despair and disillusionment will come for them, like they come for us all. Enjoy your cheap wins, Sens. This is the best year of your lives.

The best years are actually the ones where you win playoff series - something they wouldn't know anything about

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Lmao not much to write about these days eh?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
"I hate the Ottawa Senators because they have it so damn easy right now. And I know in my heart they’re going to blow it. But there they’ll be this season, lording it over the teams slogging hard at this NHL hockey stuff, playing the game on nightmare level, while they doddle along doing the boss fights on easy and claiming they’re kings of the world.

There is absolutely no time in the lifecycle of a hockey franchise easier than the moment after you’ve FUBARed absolutely everything for decades and then ended up with Connor Brown on your top line and a fist full of prospects, some of whom were the right draft choices.

This is their glimmering dawn, and it won’t go horribly wrong for them. Yet. The sun will come up for them more than once this season. They have nine shots to beat the Leafs and 10 to beat the Habs. They’re going to win some of those, and then they’ll feel good about themselves, because that’s all it will take!"

Coming at us fast and hard with facts I see.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Given how apparently great their team and how apparently absolutely shitty our team is, any loss by the Leafs to us should be an absolute miracle.

Anyway, I subscribe to the notion that it was attempted witticism and tongue-in-cheek ribbing, but that the author has some serious grudges that bleed through the entire tone of the article.

Someone like Dangles or Down Goes Brown is so much better at it. They’re better than anything we have.

Reactions: bert

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
There is absolutely no time in the lifecycle of a hockey franchise easier than the moment after you’ve FUBARed absolutely everything for decades and then ended up with Connor Brown on your top line and a fist full of prospects, some of whom were the right draft choices.

Is he referring to the Leafs two years ago with this paragraph?

Reactions: Matsens15 and bert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Given how apparently great their team and how apparently absolutely shitty our team is, any loss by the Leafs to us should be an absolute miracle.

Anyway, I subscribe to the notion that it was attempted witticism and tongue-in-cheek ribbing, but that the author has some serious grudges that bleed through the entire tone of the article.

Someone like Dangles or Down Goes Brown is so much better at it. They’re better than anything we have.

The team that has never won more than 2 playoff rounds in a single year is supposed to be the scary team to beat this year. Teams like Montreal and Calgary are licking their chops seeing they get to play Toronto 9 times this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The team that has never won more than 2 playoff rounds in a single year is supposed to be the scary team to beat this year. Teams like Montreal and Calgary are licking their chops seeing they get to play Toronto 9 times this year.

Toronto is a good regular season team. I would be surprised if they don't finish 1st or 2nd.

But that really doesn't matter at this point.

I get that the higher seed gets statistically better match-ups, but I still think that the advantage can be fairly marginal if you run into a mediocre team that plays a good playoff style and is committed.

I picked Columbus in the HF poll before the series not because it was funny but because the Blue Jackets were a bad match-up for them. There may have been better teams that the Leafs could have beaten but some key guys on Toronto weren't willing to play the way they had to in order to beat Columbus.

Tampa Bay was almost a perfect team last year because they identified their gaps and filled them accordingly.

I'm not sure if the Leafs brought in the right guys to fill theirs.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hate the Sens because they’re in the best season of their lives (yes I know they believe that Cup run was real, but come on). We just have to wait it out. The storm clouds of despair and disillusionment will come for them, like they come for us all. Enjoy your cheap wins, Sens. This is the best year of your lives.

Admitting that Ottawa had anything that could resemble a Cup run must have been emotionally difficult for the author.

It's like subconscious impotent rage crashing through the words at that point.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto is a good regular season team. I would be surprised if they don't finish 1st or 2nd.

But that really doesn't matter at this point.

I get that the higher seed gets statistically better match-ups, but I still think that the advantage can be fairly marginal if you run into a mediocre team that plays a good playoff style and is committed.

I picked Columbus in the HF poll before the series not because it was funny but because the Blue Jackets were a bad match-up for them. There may have been better teams that the Leafs could have beaten but some key guys on Toronto weren't willing to play the way they had to in order to beat Columbus.

Tampa Bay was almost a perfect team last year because they identified their gaps and filled them accordingly.

I'm not sure if the Leafs brought in the right guys to fill theirs.

Meh, I'm not impressed by their roster. I don't think they got better in the offseason, I think they got slower. I think their left-side is extremely weak, I think their bottom 6 is too slow and too weak. I think Brodie just brings more of what they already have. Freddy Andersen isn't what he used to be, and has always been inconsistent. Tavares is 30 now and already had a statistical decline last season. Marner can't handle intense physical games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if teams like Calgary, Montreal, or Vancouver finish ahead of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad