Why don't we ever see ivy league educated GMs?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ok I have 2 degrees from NYU and even I wouldn't put it on par with the Ivy League.
Schools have programs that they are known for. Stanford for computer science, ucla medical, Harvard Business and Law, etc.

I’d lean more towards someone who went to a top program at another school over an Ivy League graduate of the same program.

but, in the end it’s still your personality which dictates how well you succeed in life. Can’t just be book smart, have to communicate well and get along or lead others.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
To get back to the original question. I think you have to consider how much of what falls under the GM's realm of responsibility is done by the GM himself as opposed to his staff working on general guidelines set out by the GM. For example, why the GM may have the final say on free agent contracts, it may not be the GM himself who negotiates the contracts.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
'
GM is in large part a business job. Most top organizations in the world try to fill their ranks with candidates from top schools. I bet if you look business roles at the top leagues such the NHL a lot of them are filled with people from top universities. However, that's not the case with GMs. I know there's a scouting and actual sports component to it and the NHL seems like a good ole boy's club, but you'd think more smart people would be hired regardless of if they played or scouted hockey before. Salary cap management for example is not so different from a corporate finance role that attracts people from top universities for top organizations.

I will correct you there. Most GMS have little to do with the business side of things. I will use the Oilers as an example--Bob Nickelson and stu Macdonald control the business side of the team. Back in the late 80's into the 90's you would be correct in saying the guy with GM in his title would have been in charge also of the business side of things. But about the time the Ducks joined the league, they hired business people for the business aspects of the game and even though they were not around long--Disney turned how teams did things on their heads. While the GM would deal with the contracts for the players, the business guys would handle the contracts and insurance issues for the team

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
GM is in large part a business job. Most top organizations in the world try to fill their ranks with candidates from top schools. I bet if you look business roles at the top leagues such the NHL a lot of them are filled with people from top universities. However, that's not the case with GMs. I know there's a scouting and actual sports component to it and the NHL seems like a good ole boy's club, but you'd think more smart people would be hired regardless of if they played or scouted hockey before. Salary cap management for example is not so different from a corporate finance role that attracts people from top universities for top organizations.

this is absurd….

I’m guessing you don’t have a college degree. There is nothing special about ivy lesgue educated.

Ivy League have advantages when they have wealthy parents who give thrm inside access.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
'

I will correct you there. Most GMS have little to do with the business side of things. I will use the Oilers as an example--Bob Nickelson and stu Macdonald control the business side of the team. Back in the late 80's into the 90's you would be correct in saying the guy with GM in his title would have been in charge also of the business side of things. But about the time the Ducks joined the league, they hired business people for the business aspects of the game and even though they were not around long--Disney turned how teams did things on their heads. While the GM would deal with the contracts for the players, the business guys would handle the contracts and insurance issues for the team

The business peop,e would also handle marketing and customer acquisition and revenue management.

Reactions: oknazevad

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
this is absurd….

I’m guessing you don’t have a college degree. There is nothing special about ivy lesgue educated.

Ivy League have advantages when they have wealthy parents who give thrm inside access.

I have an MBA but thanks for asking. And someone that got a degree from bumblef*** university that any idiot can get into is the only person that thinks this. You know how little someone knows about anything when they make comments such as that. If you actually went to a school that has an admission % of less than 90% you could tell the difference. Unless someone's dad donated tens of of millions to a university, there is no "special access". That's what less 1% of the students? f***, watch the documentary of the admissions scandal. They even said that other than by shady means (what the scandal was about) the only people that get in via nepotism are people whose parents donated millions upon millions to the school.

Sorry if I'm being a dick but your post was both ill informed and insulting.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
I have an MBA but thanks for asking. And someone that got a degree from bumblef*** university that any idiot can get into is the only person that thinks this. You know how little someone knows about anything when they make comments such as that. If you actually went to a school that has an admission % of less than 90% you could tell the difference. Unless someone's dad donated tens of of millions to a university, there is no "special access". That's what less 1% of the students? f***, watch the documentary of the admissions scandal. They even said that other than by shady means (what the scandal was about) the only people that get in via nepotism are people whose parents donated millions upon millions to the school.

Sorry if I'm being a dick but your post was both ill informed and insulting.
All business schools are a joke anyway. University is a scam unless you're in stem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->