Why don't people like Jeff Patterson?

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Not a fan of Jeff Patterson, but Doug MacLean is a bigger ******* and idiot.

Even when Patterson clarified that he meant Columbus' failures over the last decade (not just this season), MacLean took some onus for it, but he still listed how 13 of his drafted players still play in the NHL.

Is that really how management see's their success? How many of their picks play in the NHL? What a joke MacLean is.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a fan of Jeff Patterson, but Doug MacLean is a bigger ******* and idiot.

Even when Patterson clarified that he meant Columbus' failures over the last decade (not just this season), MacLean took some onus for it, but he still listed how 13 of his drafted players still play in the NHL.

Is that really how management see's their success? How many of their picks play in the NHL? What a joke MacLean is.
I'd say the difference here is that Maclean has actually been employed in the NHL and does know hockey. Regardless of his on air persona.

Patterson is actually just a guy with some type of journalist degree/diploma that happen to land a job in the sports section and became an on-air "expert". He knows next to nothing about the actual game and simply hides it behind the number crunching that he does.

Which is literally useless in the grand scheme of things. But I guess it keeps him employed.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Since Team 1040 now owns the monopoly and has cornered the Sports radio market in the Lower Mainland,
you'd think they could hire some decent professional talent who isn't a homer and has a general objective view on sports.
This other than Jeff Patterson, who should strictly be a fill in guy.

Listening to him shout at my radio making my ears bleed is excruciating to listen to.

Also, why does Bob the Mojo continuously get kicked in the junk.
He seems to of got the short shaft once again by Sekeres taking over the mid day slot with Price moving in as well.

Bob has at least improved his craft making him almost bearable to listen to, despite his football centric talk,
while Patterson has made no attempts or improvements whatsoever.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, liked listening to the KB much more so than JP... at least they actually had humour and brought some positive perspective in losses. Hope the new KB starts up soon, can't wait to hear how it's going to be like.

BruinsNCanucks

May 6, 2010
Vancouver
Patterson Babelfish: "Look, I think we can all agree that... The Canucks, so far to this very point in the two-thousand-and-ten and two-thousand-and-eleven ice hockey season -- they've been the type of team that plays well one night, then the next night they don't play well, then they have a few days off and they come back and they play well, or they don't. I think it's fair to say at this point we have a team that doesn't always put forth a consistent effort and thus doesn't always get consistent results. There's no disputing that. And given that, there's no guarantee on this Wednesday the first of December in the year two thousand ten of our Lord and Saviour, just a scant twenty-four days before Christmas -- can you believe it! -- that the Canucks will win this hockey game, or lose it, only that they will play it. We'll have time for half of one caller coming up after these four commercial breaks I just spoke through. After these breaks I will recount what I just said using slightly different words. We'll be... right back."

I read that entire paragraph in my head as if it were him speaking. Hilarious... and long-winded.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Since Team 1040 now owns the monopoly and has cornered the Sports radio market in the Lower Mainland,
you'd think they could hire some decent professional talent who isn't a homer and has a general objective view on sports.
This other than Jeff Patterson, who should strictly be a fill in guy.

Listening to him shout at my radio making my ears bleed is excruciating to listen to.

Also, why does Bob the Mojo continuously get kicked in the junk.
He seems to of got the short shaft once again by Sekeres taking over the mid day slot with Price moving in as well.

Bob has at least improved his craft making him almost bearable to listen to, despite his football centric talk,
while Patterson has made no attempts or improvements whatsoever.

Moj is a very polarizing figure on the radio, and not for his views like Pratt was. Moj to me is a lesser (less political) version of Pratt in the sense that he comes across as acting better than you (with all his name drops and such). Just comes across as overbearing. Not to mention him continuing to talk Football when the majority of people want Hockey talk at this time of the year.

Bruizer99

Oct 27, 2011
Vancouver
I never thought i would say this but i am actually kind of missing David Pratt. He was doing the intermission commentary on sportsnet and he did pretty good for a drunk

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I never thought i would say this but i am actually kind of missing David Pratt. He was doing the intermission commentary on sportsnet and he did pretty good for a drunk

Dave has his place, but I think the problem most people have with alot of the radio jockeys, especially in sports is their arrogance. They will crucify any athlete who shows any arrogance, and Pratt has done that many many times... but his ignorance and arrogance far outweighs his good points.

Jeff Patterson falls exactly in that catergory. His.............. Pausesforthesakeofpausing....... It.... IRRITATES and dare I say..... FRUSTRATES...... the average listener.

These are the biggest reasons I'll listen to Bmac and Rintoul over them as they at least will validate and acknowledge another persons opinion.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Pratt said during the intermission of the Ottawa game that it would become clear later this week what was next in line for him. I'm expecting some sort of announcement or news soon.

LolClarkson*

So that was real and I wasn't just hearing things.

I can't stand Patterson either. As mentioned above already, his voice and cadence drive me nuts.

His analysis is second to none. Like when he figured out that during the Dallas/Van playoff series, Brendan Moorow had more hits in three games then Naslund did all season.

LolClarkson*

Proto, that was a killer babelfish.

As for Patterson - I don't find him insightful, his voice is annoying, and he has this fake outrage bit that he does that I find grating.

Nah, he gets exited for good reasons. Like " the experiment with Sammuelson on the point has to stop ! "

NotaBene

Oct 31, 2014
It's not that I don't like Jeff Paterson.

But here's why I can't listen to him longer than a few seconds.

A previous poster talked about his cadence. Yeah, that's part of it, but not all of it.

His voice goes instantly from almost normal pitch, to squeals, and back.

When he is trying to get a thought together, he emits a high pitched groan that sounds like a cat giving birth.

Virtually every pause is followed by "uh".

He runs words together. When he says Vancouver Canucks, he sets world records every time on how fast he can say it. Seriously, Jeff, slow down. Its ok to pronounce every syllable in a normal pace.

It just takes too much energy to listen to him. I have no idea whether his analysis makes sense, because I can't get past the annoyance.

I've heard others say he should have his own time slot. I support that. How about in the middle of the night so I know when to turn my radio off ahead of time? Better yet, how about in the middle of the night in Calgary? It drives me nuts when I want to listen to 1040 and find him filling in...

Here's what I can't figure out. Surely someone in management at 1040 is listening, right? Can't one of them pull him aside and say, "Hey, Jeff, how about going back to broadcasting school and brushing up on that 'How not to annoy listeners' class?"

Maybe he knows where the bodies are buried.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's not that I don't like Jeff Paterson.

But here's why I can't listen to him longer than a few seconds.

A previous poster talked about his cadence. Yeah, that's part of it, but not all of it.

His voice goes instantly from almost normal pitch, to squeals, and back.

When he is trying to get a thought together, he emits a high pitched groan that sounds like a cat giving birth.

Virtually every pause is followed by "uh".

He runs words together. When he says Vancouver Canucks, he sets world records every time on how fast he can say it. Seriously, Jeff, slow down. Its ok to pronounce every syllable in a normal pace.

It just takes too much energy to listen to him. I have no idea whether his analysis makes sense, because I can't get past the annoyance.

I've heard others say he should have his own time slot. I support that. How about in the middle of the night so I know when to turn my radio off ahead of time? Better yet, how about in the middle of the night in Calgary? It drives me nuts when I want to listen to 1040 and find him filling in...

Here's what I can't figure out. Surely someone in management at 1040 is listening, right? Can't one of them pull him aside and say, "Hey, Jeff, how about going back to broadcasting school and brushing up on that 'How not to annoy listeners' class?"

Maybe he knows where the bodies are buried.

1st post and it's a necrobump of a two year-old thread. :laugh: Welcome aboard.

And Jeff Patterson's voice is annoying.

NotaBene

Oct 31, 2014
It says something that in two years, he hasn't changed a squeal. Has he never been told?

Thanks for the welcome ....

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
I hate listening to him interview players. The guy asks some of the most stupid and awkward questions. On top of his annoying over-the-top voice, I find myself changing the station whenever he's on

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I hate listening to him interview players. The guy asks some of the most stupid and awkward questions. On top of his annoying over-the-top voice, I find myself changing the station whenever he's on

Actually, he is probably one of the better interviewers the Team has had in years. Certainly better than Kenward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad