Why don't people like Jeff Patterson?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
He does have that voice, i don't know if its natural.
some find it annoying.

the guy does offer some insight into the Canucks other voices on the TEAM don't seem to do. (like his number crunching that he likes to do)

he seems to be alright with the other sports too.

by no means am i in his fan club. but people do have the hate on him.

LostMyGlasses*

I don't dislike him. He certainly does have a try hard 'made for radio' voice', you're right he doesn't sound completely natural.

that said, I've never found his takes poor and actually find his post games shows after a loss particularly sober, while Blake Price, who I like as well, seems to sound as if its the end of the world after any loss.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Because his voice has a really goofy cadence. I hate the way he winds up his sentences. It's like a cross between auctioneer and mid westerner. Actually on second thought he actually sounds like Goofy the Disney character.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Because it takes him a full minute to say something any normal person could say in 10 seconds. He makes me want to rip my ears off.

Avery4Byng*

Have any of you heard Pratt & Taylor make fun of the "generic radio voice guy".....? Well that is Patterson. Trying too hard to sound like some guy from some random drive-home show at a big city in the states. Gets a wee bit annoying after about 33 seconds.

Lz68

Jun 9, 2009
He does have that voice, i don't know if its natural.
some find it annoying.

the guy does offer some insight into the Canucks other voices on the TEAM don't seem to do. (like his number crunching that he likes to do)

he seems to be alright with the other sports too.

by no means am i in his fan club. but people do have the hate on him.

I find him to come across as always being negative on the post game shows. I don't have a problem hearing it when they play terrible but the Canucks can blow out another team out while playing a near perfect game and he will find some little fact to discredit it or downplay the skill of the team they were playing.

Sort of like this: Well they beat them 8-2 but it doesn't mean anything because they were a lottery pick team a couple years ago(even if they are currently playing playoff caliber hockey) and they were missing xyz players or so and so is just returning from injury and hasn't found his stride yet.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
hes a fool, last year when we got eliminated from the playoffs, he suggested to trade burrows.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
He doesn't speak, he whines... incessantly. Also, just reading his name nearly put me to sleep. I don't hate him but the radio goes off much quicker than usual.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Voice for me; I have a difficult getting past it to actually hear what he's saying...it's like he just makes me zone out within 5 seconds.

Outside99*

I'm fine with him. the one who bothers me is the guy who often belittles callers? I don't think Patterson does that.

Nine to Five

Now Eight to Four!
Jul 7, 2009
I don't mind him. Then again I'm okay with all of the radio personalities. Half of the times they don't know what they're talking about, especially when they try to talk about teams that aren't the canucks, but this seems to be the case for everyone on 1040 so I don't hate on anyone specifically for it.

Actually, I hated the Moj when he was forced to cover for someone, he's just awful.

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah the way he talks just makes him difficult to listen to... a little irritating for me and definitely not very engaging. That would be OK if he made some really interesting points or provided a lot of insight but he generally doesn't. His number-crunching tends to be either pretty obvious or just irrelevant.

I honestly turn it off a lot of the time when they start taking calls no matter who's hosting though. Most of the calls are either dumb, pointless or the person can't talk properly (or some combination of the 3).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Someone should make a Jeff Patterson babelfish.

Original quote: "The Canucks have been very inconsistent this season, so we don't know what to expect Wednesday against the Flames."

Patterson Babelfish: "Look, I think we can all agree that... The Canucks, so far to this very point in the two-thousand-and-ten and two-thousand-and-eleven ice hockey season -- they've been the type of team that plays well one night, then the next night they don't play well, then they have a few days off and they come back and they play well, or they don't. I think it's fair to say at this point we have a team that doesn't always put forth a consistent effort and thus doesn't always get consistent results. There's no disputing that. And given that, there's no guarantee on this Wednesday the first of December in the year two thousand ten of our Lord and Saviour, just a scant twenty-four days before Christmas -- can you believe it! -- that the Canucks will win this hockey game, or lose it, only that they will play it. We'll have time for half of one caller coming up after these four commercial breaks I just spoke through. After these breaks I will recount what I just said using slightly different words. We'll be... right back."

zepps

May 21, 2007
Calgary, AB

Original quote: "The Canucks have been very inconsistent this season, so we don't know what to expect Wednesday against the Flames."

Patterson Babelfish: "Look, I think we can all agree that... The Canucks, so far to this very point in the two-thousand-and-ten and two-thousand-and-eleven ice hockey season -- they've been the type of team that plays well one night, then the next night they don't play well, then they have a few days off and they come back and they play well, or they don't. I think it's fair to say at this point we have a team that doesn't always put forth a consistent effort and thus doesn't always get consistent results. There's no disputing that. And given that, there's no guarantee on this Wednesday the first of December in the year two thousand ten of our Lord and Saviour, just a scant twenty-four days before Christmas -- can you believe it! -- that the Canucks will win this hockey game, or lose it, only that they will play it. We'll have time for half of one caller coming up after these four commercial breaks I just spoke through. After these breaks I will recount what I just said using slightly different words. We'll be... right back."

:handclap: Right on the money.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005

I loled. :laugh:

Nerve

Oct 11, 2007
Jeff Patterson =

Winnie-the-pooh---Eeyore-.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad