Why does Panarin and Bobrovsky want out of Columbus?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Columbus is a nice city, but it doesn't have the cultural cachet of a NYC, LA, or Chicago. If that's what Panarin/Bob want there's not much you can do - bad luck for Cbus.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Columbus is not really a world class city.... They are Russians... If i was a foreigner and moved to another country, i would want to live in the best cities.

If I moved to Russia, I would want to live in moscow or st. Petersburg... Not some random city that id never heard of....

You'd be surprised at how many Russian and Eastern European's there are in Columbus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ has never won a playoff series so.. What exactly is the team winning?
Out of the four times we've been in the playoffs (and lost in the first round), the team we lost to was the Cup finals rep for our conference that year three times (and the actual champion twice). The fourth time was the Pittsburgh matchup in which seemingly every game constantly had one team going up 3-0 only to lose 4-3.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Aside from beaches, there isn't anything you cannot get in any city from Edmonton to Miami.

This is bollocks. I travel a fair bit for work. Cities vary quite a bit. Different cities have fundamentally different layouts and densities. They have wildly different approaches to public transportation. They have different cultural landmarks and institutions. They have different cuisines available, and different culinary strengths. They have different settings for raising families. They have different traffic. They have different taxes.

Just because you only "have" to live in a city for a portion of the year doesn't mean that the rest of the cities value won't be important to a player. Further still, the player often has a significant other or an entire family to care about, and their opinions are going to matter as well. Just because you have some idealized vision in your head of a fictional professional athlete version of yourself buckling down and only caring about the hockey team doesn't change the reality that actual professional athletes have to live in these cities, and that they and their family may not enjoy their fit in a particular city for any one of a hundred reasons.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Out of the four times we've been in the playoffs (and lost in the first round), the team we lost to was the Cup finals rep for our conference that year three times (and the actual champion twice). The fourth time was the Pittsburgh matchup in which seemingly every game constantly had one team going up 3-0 only to lose 4-3.
The things fans come up with to comfort themselves.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Here's how i'd pitch Columbus: The Columbus area is where hot actress Maggie Grace came from.
They also got a minor league soccer team the Columbus Crew. (MLS is basicly minor league compared to what they got in Europe. The average pro team in UK probably would destroy the best MLS team.)
Columbus: because we discovered America!

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Columbus is a perfectly nice city. But my English wife would simply never live there. She is used to European culture, architecture, and non-car dependent lifestyle. She likes large crowds, high energy, crazy tempo of life, public transportation, diversity, and everything that comes with life in a big city. We lived in Tampa for a year, and she loved it but missed NY terribly. Columbus is not for someone who grew up in Europe, to be honest.
Sounds low maintenance, congrats

Reactions: branch and Sushiko

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
So stupid, the insecurity.

If I could afford to send my kids to private school I would never leave a metropolis like Chicago or New York. That doesn't make other cities bad, it's just a different style of living that some people love. I guess the same would go for someone who is a beach bum loving Tampa/LA or an outdoorsy person living in a town by the mountains bla bla bla.

They're just huge...and you can be there for decades then still discover new **** every week. Plus, you know, the view from the skyscrapers is cool too.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
This is bollocks. I travel a fair bit for work. Cities vary quite a bit. Different cities have fundamentally different layouts and densities. They have wildly different approaches to public transportation. They have different cultural landmarks and institutions. They have different cuisines available, and different culinary strengths. They have different settings for raising families. They have different traffic. They have different taxes.

Just because you only "have" to live in a city for a portion of the year doesn't mean that the rest of the cities value won't be important to a player. Further still, the player often has a significant other or an entire family to care about, and their opinions are going to matter as well. Just because you have some idealized vision in your head of a fictional professional athlete version of yourself buckling down and only caring about the hockey team doesn't change the reality that actual professional athletes have to live in these cities, and that they and their family may not enjoy their fit in a particular city for any one of a hundred reasons.
I am not saying all cities are the same. I am saying that you can get the same amenities and levels of comfort if you have the money. And I am speaking from firsthand experience.

Living in NYC and London is great but is it any better than Columbus or (much to my surprise) Lexington Kentucky? No not really. There are areas where each city excels and lags behind others but they really do even out.

I had the same reaction when I looked at moving to Kentucky. No way it could compare to life on the coast. But once I had lived there and learned the surroundings, I found that there was plenty to do. And I was surprised at all the money that was there due to the horse farms.

It used to be that you had to live in a city like NYC to get high end food, high end entertainment, and fashion. Not anymore.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nicer river valley, nicest arena, safer, west Edmonton mall, skiing is a quick drive and the women are smokeshows.

I know both cities well, and I don't think Edmonton has an edge. It doesn't have a nice downtown, though Columbus isn't bustling either. I don't think it's safer. Both cities are sprawly and mostly surrounded by flat monotony. In the time it takes to get from Edmonton to Jasper, you can fly from Columbus to a million places. Malls are dumb.

I'd actually prefer to live in Edmonton because I love hockey (and have family there), but it's a zero in a lot of respects.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I know both cities well, and I don't think Edmonton has an edge. It doesn't have a nice downtown, though Columbus isn't bustling either. I don't think it's safer. Both cities are sprawly and mostly surrounded by flat monotony. In the time it takes to get from Edmonton to Jasper, you can fly from Columbus to a million places. Malls are dumb.

I'd actually prefer to live in Edmonton because I love hockey (and have family there), but it's a zero in a lot of respects.
How would you compare them to cities like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Sounds low maintenance, congrats
It's not about being high or low maintenance. The way people grow up has a lot to do with what they like. Life is short. Might as well enjoy it. If someone is more comfortable living in a big city, and has the means to do it - why not?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why do people retire in Florida? Why do rich people live in the Hills in LA? Why do rich people live in 10+ million apartments in NY when they can get the same apartment in Columbus for a lot less?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Here's how i'd pitch Columbus: The Columbus area is where hot actress Maggie Grace came from.
They also got a minor league soccer team the Columbus Crew. (MLS is basicly minor league compared to what they got in Europe. The average pro team in UK probably would destroy the best MLS team.)
Be careful what you wish for, Liam Neeson will find you.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I am not saying all cities are the same. I am saying that you can get the same amenities and levels of comfort if you have the money. And I am speaking from firsthand experience.

Living in NYC and London is great but is it any better than Columbus or (much to my surprise) Lexington Kentucky? No not really. There are areas where each city excels and lags behind others but they really do even out.

I had the same reaction when I looked at moving to Kentucky. No way it could compare to life on the coast. But once I had lived there and learned the surroundings, I found that there was plenty to do. And I was surprised at all the money that was there due to the horse farms.

It used to be that you had to live in a city like NYC to get high end food, high end entertainment, and fashion. Not anymore.

I disagree. I love Mexican food. I try it in many places I visit. It's still 1000 times better in San Diego than it is in Seattle or Jacksonville. Likewise, the BBQ I get in St. Louis or Mississippi blows the BBQ from San Diego* or Seattle away.
There's a big difference between living near Broadway and getting Broadway shows or having to wait for the travelling production to start up a couple years later. There's a big difference between cities that have vibrant music scenes that attract both local and travelling talent, and those that have much smaller music scenes.

But all that isn't even really the point. The amenities are nice, but there's so much more than that when it comes with living in a city. Some people prefer apartments and dense urban living. Others don't. Some people hate the traffic of commuting between their home and the arena/practice facility. Some people want public transportation, while others prefer to drive. Some people want a different climate. Some people want to have local friends with a similar ethnic/cultural background. Some people have a whole family to raise and care about finding a school system in a part of town that meets their other 10 criteria for living. And once again, remember that the players' families often have a voice in how happy they are in a given locale.

None of this is to say that Columbus is "bad." But rather that it's entirely possible that any given player just doesn't like the feel of Columbus. You spelled out your narrative in an earlier post about how you would only care about the on-ice product, but these guys are living the reality of that experience not just a fictionalized account. They actually have to deal with their living arrangements and the happiness of their wives and girlfriends.

*San Diegans, yes I've been to Phil's. Yes, it's good. No, it's not nearly as good as Pappy's. Dont @ me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad