Why does Panarin and Bobrovsky want out of Columbus?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I could see either of these guys ending up in Edmonton, nicer city and we’ve got the unresistable lure of McDavid

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
As a Euro who's moved over here 10+ years ago I think I can give some perspective.

Back then my perception of the US was very positive. At that point I wouldn't have cared where in the US I lived as long as I lived there.
So once I got over here I actually lived in a rural small town, which in the beginning was very exciting to me since everything was brand new and I had a sensory overload.

Fast forward ten years later and and a few memories wiser and there is nothing that could bring me back to rural America. The novelty that carried my excitement wore off about a year after I got here. Add to that having lived near LA and NY I know what I'm missing out on when I live in towns like Columbus or Pittsburgh.

This is what probably is going on with them. They are young, rich and foreign and probably don't want to (as harsh as it sounds) waste away in a low to mid-sized city when you have options like Miami,LA,NY,Toronto,etc.,etc..

I don't blame them at all.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
A nice city compared to what? If you're a star multi-millionaire athlete, you don't want to be in Columbus, Ohio. Or anywhere in Ohio, really.

Reactions: DFAC

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
GM Jarmo Kekkalainen is to blame. He's the player's GM. Fella spots them while they bench press and stuff like that. IIRC he ones said something along the lines of "well, I am like a big brother to some of these guys". I guess he is a friendly man and a nice guy, but he's a greedy ****ing ******* as a General Manager. Y'all remember the Bob contract negotiations a while back? This man refuses to pay for his players. If your name is not Nick Foligno, you will be paid 4/5 of your market price. That's GM Jarmo Kekkalainen for you pals. It's no wonder Bob and Panbread want - and will - leave as soon as possible.
Dunno about Panarin and Bob(don't like them being thrown in the same bowl in this case too), but how Jarmo handled the RyJo aka 1C situation I do remember and I predicted RyJo wanting out and look he's centerng the first line of a cup contender and Columbus doesn't have a 1C.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Dunno about Panarin and Bob(don't like them being thrown in the same bowl in this case too), but how Jarmo handled the RyJo aka 1C situation I do remember and I predicted RyJo wanting out and look he's centerng the first line of a cup contender and Columbus doesn't have a 1C.
Still a great trade for the jackets . Low 1 c for Jones. Panarin makes pld work as a 1 c and isn't Wennberg not looking terrible this year ?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
A nice city compared to what? If you're a star multi-millionaire athlete, you don't want to be in Columbus, Ohio. Or anywhere in Ohio, really.
Honestly, if you are a star multi-millionaire athlete and you can't live the life you want in any one of the NHL cities, then I am sorry but the problem is you.

Aside from beaches, there isn't anything you cannot get in any city from Edmonton to Miami.

Not to mention you only have to be in your team's city for about 1/3 of the year. The other 2/3 of the year you are on the road or it is the offseason and you can go where you want.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Still a great trade for the jackets . Low 1 c for Jones. Panarin makes pld work as a 1 c and isn't Wennberg not looking terrible this year ?
Jones is good, no doubt, but that 1C situation is still hurting. All the players that played as 1c would be really a good fit as 2C while giving Panarin an adequate 1C would give Columbus a real weapon.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jones is good, no doubt, but that 1C situation is still hurting. All the players that played as 1c would be really a good fit as 2C while giving Panarin an adequate 1C would give Columbus a real weapon.
If we didnt have Jones, the 1D situation would hurt more.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Are these players not preoccupied with hockey during the season? I mean they're constantly travelling as part of their job, and can live anywhere they please during the off-season.
It's not like they're living in Columbus in the traditional sense.
However it's a completely different thing if you have a family. Family members actually have to live there.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
As a Euro who's moved over here 10+ years ago I think I can give some perspective.

Back then my perception of the US was very positive. At that point I wouldn't have cared where in the US I lived as long as I lived there.
So once I got over here I actually lived in a rural small town, which in the beginning was very exciting to me since everything was brand new and I had a sensory overload.

Fast forward ten years later and and a few memories wiser and there is nothing that could bring me back to rural America. The novelty that carried my excitement wore off about a year after I got here. Add to that having lived near LA and NY I know what I'm missing out on when I live in towns like Columbus or Pittsburgh.

This is what probably is going on with them. They are young, rich and foreign and probably don't want to (as harsh as it sounds) waste away in a low to mid-sized city when you have options like Miami,LA,NY,Toronto,etc.,etc..

I don't blame them at all.

Where did you live in Europe? As in, big or small city, countryside? What exactly you miss out on in smalled towns like Columbus and Pittsburgh?

Reactions: Sushiko

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The heart wants what the heart wants. It's as simple as that. Nobody ever criticizes a regular person for deciding to move in order take a job in another city or country. Why should it be any different for a pro athlete? Life is too short to not try and be as happy as possible.

As for the city bashing in this thread...:cf::loony::facepalm:

Reactions: Viqsi

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
They want to be in a society where everyone wears Balenciaga and Fendi and Louboutin. That ain't Ohio.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Columbus is a huge city. Bigger than Cleveland and Cincinatti combined. It is not a flashy town but its not a backwater town.

Just worth mentioning.

The metro area population of all three of those cities is about the same, at 2.1 million.

Not gonna city-bash, but the "bigger is better" concept of the attractiveness of cities is laughable.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Columbus is a perfectly nice city. But my English wife would simply never live there. She is used to European culture, architecture, and non-car dependent lifestyle. She likes large crowds, high energy, crazy tempo of life, public transportation, diversity, and everything that comes with life in a big city. We lived in Tampa for a year, and she loved it but missed NY terribly. Columbus is not for someone who grew up in Europe, to be honest.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Columbus is not really a world class city.... They are Russians... If i was a foreigner and moved to another country, i would want to live in the best cities.

If I moved to Russia, I would want to live in moscow or st. Petersburg... Not some random city that id never heard of....
Whats funny is A LOT of the "smaller" market cities in the US and Canada are taking tons of refugee's from all over the world. I really don't think being Russian or even foreign has anything to do with it. People who want more fame in a bigger city just want more fame ina bigger city. Doesn't matter your nationality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad