Why does Gary Thorne not have a permanent job in the NHL?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Am I the only person who doesn't like this guy? I'd take anyone on CBC or TSN over him.

I would as well, but Thorne invokes a certain nostalgia factor for many of us who grew up in the US not having access to the Canadian feeds. Heck even watching the old highlights with the ESPN B crew of Steve Levy and Darren Pang makes me irrationally giddy.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Doc botches names too, just not as often. Doc is very overrated, but he's been the #1 US play-by-play guy since 2005, so those younger than us who grew up on Gary Thorne will remember Doc just as fondly. Thorne just always had the right energy for each occasion. Doc shows a lot of bias at times, lest we forget 2012. His Devils lose and all he can muster up for a team winning the first Stanley Cup in their history is "the Kings.......are the Kings......."

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I would as well, but Thorne invokes a certain nostalgia factor for many of us who grew up in the US not having access to the Canadian feeds. Heck even watching the old highlights with the ESPN B crew of Steve Levy and Darren Pang makes me irrationally giddy.

This. He was the guy when I got into hockey, and as a west coast watcher I heard him call many games featuring those fantastic Colorado/Dallas/Detroit teams of that time. He was part of turning me onto the sport.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The botched names thing inevitably comes up in every Thorne thread. If the choice is between his energy/passion/screw ups, and someone who is bland and gets everyone’s names right, I’m taking Thorne 10 times out of 10.
Agreed. Same logic applies to Bob Cole. And honestly, I really like Doc Emerick too, and he gets names wrong and gets tongue tied somewhat frequently.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s the all-time GOAT hockey announcer in my books.

My guess is that the Baseball gig pays better, but who knows. It’s a damn shame he isn’t calling hockey.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton

Thorne is the best, I know it's nostalgia because I grew up listening to him (Boston Bruins 90s announcers were horrible), but he really did have the most amazing calls in some the of greatest moments on the ice.

He is also a good ole Mainer to boot as well

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Agreed. Same logic applies to Bob Cole. And honestly, I really like Doc Emerick too, and he gets names wrong and gets tongue tied somewhat frequently.

Absolutely. Guys like Bob Cole, Joe Bowen, and Sam Rosen aren’t as sharp as they used to be, but they still add a ton of excitement to games, and that’s top priority for me.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I can't believe the intervening years have made his inability to call the correct player or having a set storyline and not deviating from it.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Every time this thread is refreshed, I’m praying it’s because there’s a post with news that he’s just signed a 10 year deal to come back.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Thorne is the best, I know it's nostalgia because I grew up listening to him (Boston Bruins 90s announcers were horrible), but he really did have the most amazing calls in some the of greatest moments on the ice.

He is also a good ole Mainer to boot as well

My favorite goal and call of all time ,he didn't screw up the name that time!

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

HOLY JUMPING!

froot loop

Sep 11, 2020
I didn't get to grow up with Gary Thorne broadcasting games, but that didn't stop me from enjoying his great calls through YouTube. About 3 years ago, I saw that there weren't any compilations of Gary Thorne's hockey calls except for a poorly made 2 minute fiasco (that I believe has since been deleted). So I put up the first video not expecting much, but I am so thankful that it recently passed 100k views. I don't have near enough subscribers to monetize anything (plus I couldn't anyways because of copyright claims) so I just do it for fun. But being able to share Gary Thorne calls, something I have learned was a big part of people's childhoods, means a lot to me. I have recently made a nearly 2 hour video of only Gary Thorne calls, with about 80% of that being hockey. Here's the playlist of all the 5 Gary Thorne videos I've made if any of you would like to check it out.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I understand he does PBP for the Baltimore Orioles, but he should at least be a regular guest announcer and he should be doing games nationally. He could also be drawn away from the Orioles if the offer is right.

The LA Kings did the right thing bringing him in as a guest announcer this season, but we need more of him. I really hope they offer him a permanent job.

It's sad that the greatest PBP announcer in hockey had his first NHL job in over a decade this season.

Thorne was brought in to do an audition game since the Kings announcer Bob Miller was about to retire.

Did you hear Thorne's game? It was quite below average - a disappointment to say the least.

Reactions: iamjs

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I did not appreciate how good Thorne was until he was gone.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
The botched names thing inevitably comes up in every Thorne thread. If the choice is between his energy/passion/screw ups, and someone who is bland and gets everyone’s names right, I’m taking Thorne 10 times out of 10.

I agree with you, but it's not that hard to say Niinimaa correctly. Getting a name wrong a few times I understand, but once you're corrected on it, it's time to get it right. If you're a "National" calibre voice you need to bring that level of professionalism.

Even Steve Cangelosi corrected himself during the broadcast after he kept mispronouncing Adam Henrique's name wrong during his debut. I'll always remember that because he did it in a very professional manner.

Reactions: cptjeff

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He’s 72 years old, a whopping two years younger than the freshly retired Emrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad