Why does Gary Thorne not have a permanent job in the NHL?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I know a lot of people liked Throne but I could never get passed how he forcefully pushed his voice about 2-3 octaves deeper than natural to try and be a deep voice broadcaster. I could just never unhear it. I always liked Dave Strader the most and feel spoiled Detroit got to have him as the local play by play for many of his early years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The botched names thing inevitably comes up in every Thorne thread. If the choice is between his energy/passion/screw ups, and someone who is bland and gets everyone’s names right, I’m taking Thorne 10 times out of 10.
For you, maybe, but after the lockout when NBC was looking at buying Thorne's contract from ESPN, the NHLPA nixed it. For players, it really grates when announcers screw up their names, especially when they're on the biggest stage of their lives. All of their family and friends have to hear their name get mangled. Over and over again.

That is 100% why he doesn't have an NHL job. Players hated him and don't want him to come back because he never bothered to care to get their names right.

Reactions: iamjs and DaveG

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I understand he does PBP for the Baltimore Orioles, but he should at least be a regular guest announcer and he should be doing games nationally. He could also be drawn away from the Orioles if the offer is right.

The LA Kings did the right thing bringing him in as a guest announcer this season, but we need more of him. I really hope they offer him a permanent job.

It's sad that the greatest PBP announcer in hockey had his first NHL job in over a decade this season.

Because he's not an NBC employee.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
For you, maybe, but after the lockout when NBC was looking at buying Thorne's contract from ESPN, the NHLPA nixed it. For players, it really grates when announcers screw up their names, especially when they're on the biggest stage of their lives. All of their family and friends have to hear their name get mangled. Over and over again.

That is 100% why he doesn't have an NHL job. Players hated him and don't want him to come back because he never bothered to care to get their names right.

Source for this? I’ve never heard that before and can’t find anything on the internet.

Reactions: FMichael
Sep 19, 2008
He does baseball. Although word is he and old man Angelos have a contract dispute. Drunk ol' Gary doing hockey again would be nice.

Oct 18, 2011
He could still call baseball and also be part of national coverage. If the NHL tried hard enough to broker a deal(with ESPN, the Orioles or whomever hes under contract with) they could make it happen. There is an opening on the NBC crew you could atleast start him on a limited basis and go from there. Its absurd hes been erased from the last 15 years of hockey in the US

lawrence

May 19, 2012
i'm sure there are other great candidates out there, John Short House of the Vancouver Canucks is really great at it.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Gary has said in the past that as much as he likes hockey, he likes baseball more plus he doesn't enjoy the extra travel. I'm sure offers have been made, or at least discussed, but pretty sure he has turned them down. Doing national broadcasts is a lot of work and baseball keeps him as busy as he wants to be. And I'm sure it pays the bills as well.

I'm surprised Bill Clement hasn't done more lately as well - he's not the best commentator ever but he's not bad, and every hockey fan for the last 20 years is familiar with his voice and style.

froot loop

Sep 11, 2020
Gary has said in the past that as much as he likes hockey, he likes baseball more plus he doesn't enjoy the extra travel. I'm sure offers have been made, or at least discussed, but pretty sure he has turned them down. Doing national broadcasts is a lot of work and baseball keeps him as busy as he wants to be. And I'm sure it pays the bills as well.

I'm surprised Bill Clement hasn't done more lately as well - he's not the best commentator ever but he's not bad, and every hockey fan for the last 20 years is familiar with his voice and style.
I know Bill Clement has done a lot of color commentary for the Flyers local broadcasts alongside Jim Jackson.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
I don`t know why people fuss so much about that Paul Kariya call. Thorne says like 2 sentences. Maybe I am not impressed because I have heard this guy so much over the years:

Well Mertaranta barely knows anything about hockey. Better say 2 sentences with substance than ramble about bullshit for the whole game.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Someone asked you for a source, and I am also curious about it, because this is the first time I have heard it.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Really?

1st time learning about this?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe he prefers doing other stuff.

I could be a model. I'd be great at it. I just choose not to.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Someone asked you for a source, and I am also curious about it, because this is the first time I have heard it.

Really?

1st time learning about this?

I don't entirely remember where I heard it, but my recollection is that it was either stated or strongly implied by Bettman back when he had his weekly call in radio show/podcast back in the 2008-10ish era.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad