OT: Why does everyone refer to us as Minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
It's mildly annoying but I don't hate it. Makes people sound a little dumb but, hey whatever honks your hooter.

Last edited by a moderator:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
*** The digs at other team's fans and posters needs to stop. Quit lumping in a few bad apples with the entire fan base.

Yes, most of it is completely trivial and petty, but how do you think it comes across when we follow down that same path? Looks just as laughable. Rise above it and add some substance. I'm tired of editing out junk. Let this be a warning to all of us. Move on.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who cares. I guess we needed something to talk about besides the our new influx of talent. NOT lets go back to talking about our new scorers!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until October. Forget the summer. I need a fast forward button

Then go to one of the 80 threads already discussing that! ;)

Nothingman*

The call Chicago Chi Town all the time and nobody throws a fit. Get over it and enjoy the 2 week summer :laugh:

xerox

Hockey pimp
Feb 9, 2011
I've never heard one person from Philadelphia ***** & moan about being called "Philly" but yet most of you guys do like crazy about being called "Minny"...
"
He has an umbrella store in Philadelphia. That's the only city that comes to mind right now. Philadelphia, 'cause you can say "Philly" and the people from Philadelphia will not get mad. Like if you say "Frisco," San Francisco people say, "****** off!" But if you say "Philly" they say, "Alright!" Because I don't always have time to say "Philadelphia." Sometimes I just need that word to be two syllables. Phil-a-del-phi-a. ******, five! Your town would be called Philly too if it had five syllables!
"

-Mitch Hedberg

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
"
He has an umbrella store in Philadelphia. That's the only city that comes to mind right now. Philadelphia, 'cause you can say "Philly" and the people from Philadelphia will not get mad. Like if you say "Frisco," San Francisco people say, "****** off!" But if you say "Philly" they say, "Alright!" Because I don't always have time to say "Philadelphia." Sometimes I just need that word to be two syllables. Phil-a-del-phi-a. ******, five! Your town would be called Philly too if it had five syllables!
"

-Mitch Hedberg

This man speaks the truth. As a native San Franciscan, I can confirm that any member of my Californian family will tell you to go **** yourself if you think Frisco is anything other than a town in Texas. I'm only ok with Philly because that nickname has wide acceptance among locals (see also: MLB team).

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Mitch Hedberg was the man! One of my favorite comedians of all time... Sad he's gone...

"I used to want to be a professional tennis player. I practiced & practiced so that I could be the best... but one day I gave it all up because I realized that no matter how good I got, I would never be as good as, a wall..." :laugh:

anyway, late last night something occured to me... Soooo many people complain about being called "Minny"...

Isn't there some irony in the fact that nearly all of us refer(ed) to Marian Gaborik as "Gabby"..? Technically isnt that the pot calling the kettle black!? We don't want to be called "Minny" because we think all sorts of things about it but yet we call Gaborik "Gabby" for basically all the same reasons people would say "Minny" (shorter, easier, faster, it's kind of catchy, etc, etc...)

just saying... ;)

Nothingman*

There should be no nick names in Minnesota. It apparently makes everyone crabby.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Going against the grain here. Born and lived here all my life and could care less about people saying Minny....have even said (and typed) it myself many times.

Let the flaming begin. ;)

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Bump.

It's hard to read and listen to anything about the upcoming playoffs without hearing/seeing it and I'm becoming a little batty... :loony:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Necro bump! :handclap:

This absolutely gets my blood boiling for some reason...just cannot stand the name.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Hey guys, how's everything there in Minny? Wait...why are you looking at me like that? What's the knife for? We're going fishing right?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I don't mind it when people want to abbreviate. However, when people use it as their only and sole name of the state, I can't stand it. Its just like writing, you need to mix up words rather than repeating the same one over and over again. Barry Melrose couldn't bring himself to say Minnesota for much of the Frozen Four. He is a *******, but still, not once.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I don't mind it when people want to abbreviate. However, when people use it as their only and sole name of the state, I can't stand it. Its just like writing, you need to mix up words rather than repeating the same one over and over again. Barry Melrose couldn't bring himself to say Minnesota for much of the Frozen Four. He is a *******, but still, not once.

That's what put me over the edge. Now I can't cope.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
whining about it on a message board only gives people another reason (besides laziness--which is generally why i use it) to type it. I work with a bunch of non-natives and most use it amongst themselves. Its an abbreviated form of a long name, absolutely not derogatory in any way. If anything there's an undertone of pride in feeling familiar enough to use it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
During the NCAA Frozen Four, Melrose was going on with "Minny this" or "Minny that"...very, very annoying.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I have officially heard Parise call it Minny. Thus its fine in my book(I never had a problem with it in the first place).

A few months ago at the end of the road trip during a post game interview he said something along the lines of "Well, we just need to go back to Minny and keep it going" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad