OT: Why does everyone refer to us as Minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
I said this a year ago in a post just a few up but I still fail to see why anyone cares at all!?

Can someone please tell me why it matters at all if people say Minny!?

I've never heard one person from Philadelphia ***** & moan about being called "Philly" but yet most of you guys do like crazy about being called "Minny"...

Again, I heard it ALL THE TIME in Minnesota... My moms a flight attendant for Northwest, well now Delta & all over the country Flight Attendants & Pilots refer to us as "Minny" People say I'm "based in Minny" or "I'm flying thru Minny then onto detroit" etc, etc

There is absolutely nothing wrong, insulting, demeaning, etc, etc, etc about having the nickname "Minny"

Who the fudge cares!?!?

I grew up in Minny! At least once a year I go back to Minny to see friends. I will continue to say Minny even more now until people unbunch their panties and relax about something so stupid...

MINNY! :laugh:

If people really want to complain about a stupid name I think we should start petitioning to change the name "Wild'! If there was ever a stupid thing to be called it's that right there.. I would rather be the Minnesota Minny's then the Minnesota Wild... Worst name in the history of sports.

How about we become the Minnesota Northerner's? We could get our precious N* logo back, it would have nothing to do with the Dallas Stars, it would fit the geographical area & we wouldn't have to be named after a roller coaster anymore...

Last edited:

squidz*

I don't see much actual hate for it per se. It's just a key flag that someone isn't from the area. If anyone tells you they're "from Minny," it's a dead giveaway that they're not. It's just one of those tourist type things.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
I don't see much actual hate for it per se. It's just a key flag that someone isn't from the area. If anyone tells you they're "from Minny," it's a dead giveaway that they're not. It's just one of those tourist type things.

see again, I can't agree with that.. I heard it a million times growing up... Maybe it's just because of my moms job, the circle we were in made it more common to hear but to this day, friends of mine that have always lived in Minnesota say "Minny"

Matter of fact, just last night, my cousin who has lived in Minnesota his whole live, Apple Valley to be specific texted me: "Hey man, will you be coming back to Minny at all this summer?"

Another friend of mine asked almost the exact same question on the phone to me & he definitely said "Minny" and he's lived in West Bloomington his whole life. Well he lives in Uptown now technically...

I still hear it all the time & I dont even live there haven't for 9 years! haha

squidz*

see again, I can't agree with that.. I heard it a million times growing up... Maybe it's just because of my moms job, the circle we were in made it more common to hear but to this day, friends of mine that have always lived in Minnesota say "Minny"

Matter of fact, just last night, my cousin who has lived in Minnesota his whole live, Apple Valley to be specific texted me: "Hey man, will you be coming back to Minny at all this summer?"

Another friend of mine asked almost the exact same question on the phone to me & he definitely said "Minny" and he's lived in West Bloomington his whole life. Well he lives in Uptown now technically...

I still hear it all the time & I dont even live there haven't for 9 years! haha

There's a number of people who will refer to Minneapolis (or the cities as a whole) as "Minny," but damn near 0 native Minnesotans call the state Minny. It wouldn't even make sense as the name of the state doesn't contain the pronunciation "minny."

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I said this a year ago in a post just a few up but I still fail to see why anyone cares at all!?

Can someone please tell me why it matters at all if people say Minny!?

I've never heard one person from Philadelphia ***** & moan about being called "Philly" but yet most of you guys do like crazy about being called "Minny"...

Again, I heard it ALL THE TIME in Minnesota... My moms a flight attendant for Northwest, well now Delta & all over the country Flight Attendants & Pilots refer to us as "Minny" People say I'm "based in Minny" or "I'm flying thru Minny then onto detroit" etc, etc

There is absolutely nothing wrong, insulting, demeaning, etc, etc, etc about having the nickname "Minny"

Who the fudge cares!?!?

I grew up in Minny! At least once a year I go back to Minny to see friends. I will continue to say Minny even more now until people unbunch their panties and relax about something so stupid...

MINNY! :laugh:

If people really want to complain about a stupid name I think we should start petitioning to change the name "Wild'! If there was ever a stupid thing to be called it's that right there.. I would rather be the Minnesota Minny's then the Minnesota Wild... Worst name in the history of sports.

How about we become the Minnesota Northerner's? We could get our precious N* logo back, it would have nothing to do with the Dallas Stars, it would fit the geographical area & we wouldn't have to be named after a roller coaster anymore...
I get it, you hate the Wild name. Move on from it...

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I referred to Minneapolis as Minny here awhile back and got reamed a new hoop.
I was told it was frowned upon by locals.

I have lifelong friends and relatives in MN and visit MN alot on business.
I have never had anyone voice concern until here.

Minnesota's new star looks like he needs to be corrected-

all thru his media interviews he mentions Minny time after time after time.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I have lived most of my life in either Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Never hear MN natives call it "Minny", and never hear WI natives refer to the state as "Sconie"

I think both are horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
se7en, I've lived in MN for the better part of two decades and I've never heard a native refer to "Minny" in any context. Honestly I think out-of-state hockey fans are the only people I've ever years use it. Also, you're wrong about the Wild name. Plenty of us "Minny"-haters also ***** and moan about the team name on a regular basis. One does not preclude the other.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
se7en, I've lived in MN for the better part of two decades and I've never heard a native refer to "Minny" in any context. Honestly I think out-of-state hockey fans are the only people I've ever years use it. Also, you're wrong about the Wild name. Plenty of us "Minny"-haters also ***** and moan about the team name on a regular basis. One does not preclude the other.

Hahaha fair enough. Happy to hear they can go hand in hand!

As for minny, Maybe its just an airline thing..? The more I think about it the more I realize that most of the time I heard it I heard it from airline employees, as for family & friends they probably got it from my mom, she says it alot..

With that said she wasnt born in minnesota.. Your theory may be accurate.. However, im native minnesota & I say it.. Conundrum. = )

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
seriously, who cares? when i was abroad it got referred to minny so often i started using it.
mostly sports fans. If it was politics or general news it was usually Minnesota.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Stop doing that, I have seriously never heard ANYBODY from Minnesota use this term in my life. I think I've used it a few times here and there and it made me feel like an idiot after.

But seriously people that aren't from Minnesota.. knock it off.

THE NAME OF YOUR STATE IS A MODERATE PAIN TO TYPE. Rename your state and we'll stop calling it 'Minny.'

squidz*

THE NAME OF YOUR STATE IS A MODERATE PAIN TO TYPE. Rename your state and we'll stop calling it 'Minny.'

The issue I have with "Minny" is that most people who use it think that it derives from the state name. That ends up with people saying "min-ni-so-ta" rather than the local way of saying "min-nuh-so-da." It also probably contributes to the spelling atrocity of "Minnisota." If you can't tolerate typing the name, feel free to use the two digit postal abbreviation MN.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal. It's fairly amusing to see the conventions that people outside the state come up with. No one calls Louisiana "Lewis" do they?

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Who cares. I guess we needed something to talk about besides the our new influx of talent. NOT lets go back to talking about our new scorers!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until October. Forget the summer. I need a fast forward button

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Sorry, I'm an Oilers fan and everytime we play you guys it has to be the most boring hockey I ever watch.

You guys do really well though despite your line up.

Yeah...cause that firewagon hockey you got going on up there is blowing the doors off eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad