OT: Why does everyone refer to us as Minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I have officially heard Parise call it Minny. Thus its fine in my book(I never had a problem with it in the first place).

A few months ago at the end of the road trip during a post game interview he said something along the lines of "Well, we just need to go back to Minny and keep it going" or something like that.
Bah humbug, he is barely from Minnesota anyways :sarcasm:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don't get the big deal. Never will. It would be like people from California upset that people call it Cali.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i never really noticed anybody calling us "minny" before barry melrose. i think during are fabulous playoff run he said "minny wins by committee" once in awhile i say minny, its no big deal to me.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
It bothers me a lot. I don't know where this stupid nickname came from but I hate it. I also think most non-MN fans call us that in a sarcastic way too. It'd be one thing if people do it and think nothing of it, even sort of saying it in a sweet way but the vast majority of people say it in a sarcastic way. Well, maybe not vast majority but many people say it while using sarcasm.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
Since originally posting I've continued and even increased use of the term. Have yet to meet someone in person who has a problem with its use.

Also, if you werent born and raised in minny you don't get to vote on this matter. I refuse to believe a bunch of true Minnesotans would get so ruffled about such a minor issue.

Last edited:

vayeate

OZ-13MSX1
Jun 30, 2011
Sorry, I'm an Oilers fan and everytime we play you guys it has to be the most boring hockey I ever watch.

You guys do really well though despite your line up.

I suppose I would think it's boring if my team lost every time.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
In the 70's we (Minnesotans) called Minneapolis the mini-apple. It was a marketing slogan I think. Don't know why anyone's so sensitive about it but I imagine it comes from the same lazy place that leads everyone to add "ie" to the end of every player's name to give them a nickname.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
In the 70's we (Minnesotans) called Minneapolis the mini-apple. It was a marketing slogan I think.

So we may have started it ourselves?

Shame on you, older Minnesotans! ;)

34478843.jpg

CrimsonPuma*

Is it really that hard to see why people would shorten a name by adding "y" to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad