Why does everybody think Eichel is an awkward skater?

Cunuck

Jun 12, 2010
Vancouver
"Unique" is definitely the better way to describe his skating. He almost reminds me a little of Kevin Bieksa in the way he skates (obviously Bieksa being much less effective) as they both are much more upright than most.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The only thing ever absurd about people talking about Eichel's skating was when some posters on here thought he was a better skater than McDavid, lol.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
What? I've never heard anyone say this. His skating is a piece of art.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This is the first time I've heard of eichel being considered an awkward skater.

I like the way he's able to slow the play down and let things infront of him unfold. He's got ultimate poise, and that may get confused with being a slow skater..... I dunno.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His style is certainly unique/weird, but he's still widely regarded as an elite skater. Arguably the most explosive skater of anyone his size (6'2"+, 200+ lbs).

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
I think it has to do with being lower to the ground and taking those longer strides. Which is what they teach you to do in power skating.

I think Eichel and Doug Hamilton should be the poster boys for power skating and how to skate correctly in hockey -videos, especially Eichel.
It's basically everybody else that don't have a technique that clean.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I completely get what OP is talking about, just look at this video.

He makes it look incredibly effortless and it's definitely pleasing to watch. Not sure if I'd use the word "awkward", but he's probably the most unique skater in the league.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Never heard this about Eichel before. His skating is among his best attributes.

You are confusing different with bad.

Eichel is a GREAT skater, but it does not look like other great skaters. he has his own style.

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
You are confusing different with bad.

Eichel is a GREAT skater, but it does look like other great skaters. he has his own style.

Look to me there is a lot of people confusing both. :laugh:

I mean you can skate differently than everybody and still be effective. How is that difficult to understand.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He doesn't look fast and that's because he uses long powerful strides opposed to quick feet moreso than most players

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Look to me there is a lot of people confusing both. :laugh:

I mean you can skate differently than everybody and still be effective. How is that difficult to understand.

HAHA, completely missed a word...

I don't think anyone is arguing you can't have your own style and be effective. It just so happens his style looks a little awkward when compared to traditional elite skaters.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hello, I am everybody.

To answer your question, remove the face of each player on the ice, their numbers, even their body shape, etc. And I can likely spot Jack Eichel still from his skating style.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a good day.

He might be the most easily recognizable player in the league, between his stride and long stick. NHL should market him more.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He might be the most easily recognizable player in the league, between his stride and long stick. NHL should market him more.

He plays for a team that is not on the top of anyone radar, and is a goofy looking kid with a bland personality on camera. Not exactly what Marketing dreams are made of.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Of all the players in the NHL, Eichel is the easiest one to recognize for you? Not Crosby, not McDavid, not Kane, not Ovechkin, not Karlsson?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He plays for a team that is not on the top of anyone radar, and is a goofy looking kid with a bland personality on camera. Not exactly what Marketing dreams are made of.

Bland personality? I think you're just not paying attention.

Of all the players in the NHL, Eichel is the easiest one to recognize for you? Not Crosby, not McDavid, not Kane, not Ovechkin, not Karlsson?

It takes 1 second to recognize Eichel, regardlesss of situation. Guys like Kane and Crosby don't immediately stand out in every situation. Eichel just looks very unique at all times. Even when he's pouting :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It takes 1 second to recognize Eichel, regardlesss of situation. Guys like Kane and Crosby don't immediately stand out in every situation. Eichel just looks very unique at all times. Even when he's pouting :laugh:

I don't know Eichel quite enough to recognize him in all situations and I'm a hardcore hockey fan. I could recognize him by the way he skates or shoots the puck, but I wouldn't spot him as fast as I would spot Ovechkin for instance.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Bland personality? I think you're just not paying attention.

I'm pretty sure you think that just because you are a sabres fan.. as an Oilers fan I can say the exactly same thing about McDavid..

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't know Eichel quite enough to recognize him in all situations and I'm a hardcore hockey fan. I could recognize him by the way he skates or shoots the puck, but I wouldn't spot him as fast as I would spot Ovechkin for instance.

I might be a little too sensitive to it because I've watched 180+ Eichel games in the last 2 years :laugh:

Most Sabers fans can likely recognize him from his stance alone. I expect the rest of the world to catch up within a few years ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad