Why does everybody think Eichel is an awkward skater?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Completely agree. His skating stride is very effective...but very awkward. I am surprised you don't see it.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I never thought that before, but now you've made me think about it.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Eichel is probably my favourite player in the entire league to watch skate. He takes such powerful, long strides and he's equally effective going straight down the ice as he is moving laterally around players. Taylor Hall is another guy who I think is a beautiful skater that I've seen people call awkward. I think it has to do with being lower to the ground and taking those longer strides. Which is what they teach you to do in power skating.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
His skating style is more unique than awkward.

This.

He seems very upright pushing straight back at the hip, he skates like a sprinter runs through the middle part of the race. Looks a little weird but he is damn fast, so how it looks doesn't matter.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
While I definitely wouldn't classify myself as an expert in regards to skating, I do know that anything that stands out from the ordinary is always going to draw more attention and differing opinions. That's why an unique stride, which Eichel seems to have, might be considered awkward by some, regardless of how effective it is.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Hello, I am everybody.

To answer your question, remove the face of each player on the ice, their numbers, even their body shape, etc. And I can likely spot Jack Eichel still from his skating style.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a good day.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
While I definitely wouldn't classify myself as an expert in regards to skating, I do know that anything that stands out from the ordinary is always going to draw more attention and differing opinions. That's why an unique stride, which Eichel seems to have, might be considered awkward by some, regardless of how effective it is.

I definitely remember people talking about his skating style a lot at one point.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I think he keeps his upper body more straight than the typical player does, a little like Mark Messier back in the day. Not sure I'd call it awkward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad