Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At the same time, why should we be the ones that have to ask to take step back because of this. I'll bet you 10-1, that if we decided to
do this, nothing else would change. No one is to break out the humility, if we cut down. As for over-exuberant posts-forget them, we all know what they're worth. Maybe a bit fun to wade into them, you could be completely wrong in your support/denigration. Just have fun.
Last night there was another Laine topic posted on the main boards about him extending his point streak and him being under 20 years old. This reply got deleted but someone had said here come the Leafs fans in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. It just shows that there are just as many Leafs haters on there assuming we will give a reply to topics like that no matter what.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Everyone who is not a Leafs fan in Southern Ontario hates them because its all they got to hear about...Reality check you are in Southern Ontario, the Leafs are the team, get over it!

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Are you trying to tell me, Daisy, that you honestly believe that wherever the Leafs play in the NHL, over 50% of the fans in attendance are Leaf fans? Really? Really? Wow.

:shakehead

no. i re-read that and i deleted something accidently. for clarification, just so your head doesn't fall off from shaking it - that for some markets the Leafs are 50% attendance and for others, a very strong and vocal presence) as the fanbase does travel extremely well

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
no. i re-read that and i deleted something accidently. for clarification, just so your head doesn't fall off from shaking it - that for some markets the Leafs are 50% attendance and for others, a very strong and vocal presence) as the fanbase does travel extremely well
I can speak from personal experience because when I saw the Leafs play the Lightning in Tampa, there was at least 50% of Leafs fans in attendance.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Fair enough. I will agree with that. :nod:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Not everyone hates the Leafs.

Some love em, some hate em, and most don't give a crap either way

Reactions: uncleben

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You don't have to take a step back, just stop instigating things, like arguing with Hab fans on their own board for instance...

You Sweet on me, following me around ;)

1. It was on the GDT thread
2. I think Plek would shoot #10 or so in a shootout
3. After THEY brought up Boston, I feel we have a chance against them.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Everyone who is not a Leafs fan in Southern Ontario hates them because its all they got to hear about...Reality check you are in Southern Ontario, the Leafs are the team, get over it!

Nathan Beaulieu is from Strathroy, if he always hated them, he must've stuck out like a sore thumb.
I also think he's saying that considering, where he has/is played/playing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When it comes to how fans of other teams value Leafs players let's all remember the time when Phil Kessel played in Toronto. How many times did we see all those anti Kessel threads saying he's fat and out of shape or he doesn't try hard enough to compete, yet the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh all of the sudden Kessel is loved by fans of other teams on the main board and they try to act like he never got bashed.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
When it comes to how fans of other teams value Leafs players let's all remember the time when Phil Kessel played in Toronto. How many times did we see all those anti Kessel threads saying he's fat and out of shape or he doesn't try hard enough to compete, yet the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh all of the sudden Kessel is loved by fans of other teams on the main board and they try to act like he never got bashed.

Yeah, it was always us doing the basing, he was hated by leafs fans while he was here and never appreciated for what he was

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
The likes system has really lowered the quality of the posts on the mainboard. Now it seems that within the first few posts of a Leaf related thread, there will be some cheap shot against the Leafs/Leaf fans to get cheap likes.

I mean look at the Rantanen thread. It's not even about the Leafs, but one of the very first posts is some dumb post about us being delusional for saying Nylander > Rantanen.

MacDaddy Version 4

The patron saint of the Denial
Mar 11, 2018
West Fort William, Ontario

I ended up more of a Kessel fan in Pittsburgh than when he was in Toronto.
He was the wrong fit (Phit?) for the Leafs. Burke promised pugnacity, truculence, testosterone, and belligerence and then sold the farm for a pudgy who reserved his truculence and belligerence for the media. Granted, that is well placed but not the type of character who should be cast in the lead role on the main stage of the league. Kessel withered and couldn't be himself.
Sliding into a supporting role, Phil can be Phil, a quirky odd duck with a sense of humour (intentionally and unintentionally). Way less pressure.

Exactly the same player though...

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
this is how i see it -

You have a franchise that makes zero sense. They have done nothing for 50 years and yet still they are the team that drives the needle. It doesn't matter what Forbes says re: valuable franchises, or what the NHL thinks the darlings of the league should be . this franchise drives everything. If you wanna be talked about - link it to Toronto. If you want action - do it playing Toronto. The are the Evil Empire, but literally had no bite. like. Imagine being a franchise in the league and you never have to advertise on television about this team. you don't have to market the stars, because everyone KNOWS already.

No matter where the game, you have 50% Leafs fans minimum. For some teams, you don't even have home ice advantage, because when you score, you get booed.

And they sucked. so it never. ever made sense.

And now... now there is actual substance behind all that passion. which actually justifies everything... and it makes it worse. because before you could chirp how much the leafs suck, and had no future, had no real legit talent, were dysfunctional, and the passion was a salve to make us numb to the fact that that's all we had. Hope.

Now hope has a name, has two friends, is coached by someone awesome, has a great goalie in net behind him, and has a chance to end a drought and make this franchise really amazing.

and everyone knows it, can't accept it.

so thus. eat the hate sundae, and enjoy the ride.
You are not adding the most important fact which is actually off the ice: well over 1/3rd of the entire Canadian population lives in the Southern Ontario area. So yes, it makes a ton of sense. You are only looking it through what occurs on the ice but it is a business.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
When you travel around Canada you start to realize how hated Toronto is. The Leafs reprsent the anger of people that they don't get the same credit/exposure as Toronto. There's no other teams in Canada in the NBA or MLB, so Blue Jays and Raptors don't face that.
The thing is, you can't have a rational conversation with these people because they hate the Leafs so much they can't see past the hate.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The inconvenience comes from not being able to post **** on the main boards about the Leafs because people like you. Can't have a discussion about anything Leaf on the main boards without the thread getting locked of half the comments being about how it should be on the Leafs board because people start Leaf threads over there at the first idiotic idea that crosses their mind. An opinion is an opinion, it doesn't mean ****ty opinions don't exist and some people are way to vocal and frequent in yelling out their ****ty opinion at the top of their lungs. Like come on " Does boston even stand a chance against the Leafs?" It's **** like that... Yeah, the **** disturbers don't care, they aren't the ones interested in actually having a conversation, they just want to be as loud and annoying as possible.

Older post but very valid point that often leads reasonable conversations down the drain. All it takes is one poster to throw a match on it and poof goes the whole thread into flames.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Yeah, but the Americans hate us too.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
They hate us cause most of them are pathetic and broke. They hate their own lives and hating the leafs make them feel good.

Most people on this site are like that, how else can you explain people having 1000’s of posts just bashing the leafs lmao

There’s rivalry dislike, where you hate and dislike the other team but can he level headed and reasonable. For example Carey price is the best goalie in the league even though I hate the habs.

The hate on this site is just petty and pathetic. Last month Tavares is a top 5 center this month he’s barely top 20 lmfao.

Look at their locations of the people who hate the leafs, most are insecure and come from small little towns where getting a new stop sign is front page news.

Granted this rant is only for those petty haters lol

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They hate the leafs because they are the most popular team and they are shoved down fans throats. Also their fans are obnoxious despite not winning a cup in half a century.

People hate the leafs on hf because a lot of leaf fans on the main boards are ignorant, rude and delusional. They act all cocky despite not having accomplished any success over the past 14 seasons and they have to resort to insulting you when they are proven wrong or if whatever they read doesn't agree with what they say. There's also the fact that leaf fans have to pollute themselves in almost every thread which leads to some getting locked. You don't see this from other fan based. Only the leafs. Sure there are more leaf fans that other fans, but there should be more level headed ones no? That's not the case at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00