Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah no, it's posts like these that don't help at all. We have zero reason to be pompous and arrogant giving the last 50 years of this franchise. Having a decent season followed by a good season doesn't erase that.

You sir need to learn to embrace the hate.

Reactions: Confucius

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for a decade recently, I get that. But as soon as things start getting better, everybody just brings out rabid hate. I don’t think even MTL or OTT fans hate Toronto as much as some other fans do. Just look at the main board on these forums. Matthews is never given enough credit, McDavid is on a whole other level than him, and the Leafs in general are just lucky and taking advantage of teams having bad seasons. All Leafs prospects are overrated.

Even the damn NHL has no respect for this city or franchise which they’ve shown simply by giving it **** all for it’s centennial year.

If you think Toronto is hated because Matthews isnt considered on the same level as McDavid youre going to be in for a long 15 years. One has a hart trophy, art ross, has always been over point per game his entire career, on pace for back to back 100 point seasons etc. Matthews hasnt come close to that yet, so of course people are going to say that. How much credit do you want for Matthews? Hes likely the second best young building block in the NHL right now, and most posters except for obvious trolls will say that.

As for the getting lucky and teams having bad seasons thing.. Ive never seen that said lol I think over an 82 game season teams having bad games and stuff is going to balance out and the better teams rise to the top. If I've missed that I guess I could be wrong but I really dont get that sentiment.

Read through this thread and you see it popping its head up. Youll see some arrogant stuff about being the center of the hockey universe and that will rub other teams fans the wrong way, because you would see this even while Toronto was horrible the last decade. The number one issue there though is that Toronto has the biggest representation on this board so even though the ratio of good to bad posters is likely the same for every fan base roughly, a lot more of Toronto's get seen posting

Last edited by a moderator:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
You sir need to learn to embrace the hate.
You need to stop trying to encourage it like you've been doing. It's annoying for the 99% of the rest of us. Who do you think you're making things harder for? The fans of other teams? No, it's the rest of the Leafs fans on here that it pisses off since we all get shit on for posts made by a handful of people that make it their M.O to stir up shit.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You need to stop trying to encourage it like you've been doing. It's annoying for the 99% of the rest of us. Who do you think you're making things harder for? The fans of other teams? No, it's the rest of the Leafs fans on here that it pisses off since we all get **** on for posts made by a handful of people that make it their M.O to stir up ****.

It doesn’t bother me.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Threads like these
Does Boston even stand a chance against Toronto in the playoffs?

is what goes a long way to create self inflicted anger from other teams via arrogance.

As Tim McGraw sings " Always be humble and kind" is the way to earn respect.

If we meet Boston we’re going to obliterate them, Babcock will have the Leafs spitting thunder and craping lightning. Mitch will dangle Chara so often he’ll need the next season off to get his legs unknotted. Rask will get sniped so much he’ll think ge’s Stuck in a time loop. And other over the top stuff...

Take cover from the hell that’ll rain down now:sarcasm:

TBH, I think too many are overly worried about what other fan bases think, when they don’t even matter. And in an effort to find a cause to this hate fingers get pointed at each other, but the cause isn’t some trolls or some obnoxious posts as every fan base has that, the cause is that the ones hating are typically cut from the same cloth as those they accuse of prevoking it.

Basically the question is why do trolls troll Leafs fans so much, the answer is because it’s fun, and because their root is one of insecurity and envy.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It doesn’t bother me.

Nor me, I enjoy smacking haters down.

Yeah no, it's posts like these that don't help at all. We have zero reason to be pompous and arrogant giving the last 50 years of this franchise. Having a decent season followed by a good season doesn't erase that.

Totes. Always remember Leafs fans, whenever in the presence of someone who follows another team avoid eye-contact, best to just keep your eyes to the floor. They are the alpha and you don’t want to accidentally challenge them. We are shit, and never forget it.

Last edited:

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
You need to stop trying to encourage it like you've been doing. It's annoying for the 99% of the rest of us. Who do you think you're making things harder for? The fans of other teams? No, it's the rest of the Leafs fans on here that it pisses off since we all get **** on for posts made by a handful of people that make it their M.O to stir up ****.

I encourage everyone to post their opinion no matter how absurd it may be. If I think Matthews is the best player in the NHL I'm going to the main boards and saying it. If I think Rielly is going to win the Norris, I'm going to the main boards and letting people know my opinion. What's the point in having an opinion if you're not allowed to be heard? The fact that it may inconvenience some people is not my concern as they choose to let it inconvenience them.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I encourage everyone to post their opinion no matter how absurd it may be. If I think Matthews is the best player in the NHL I'm going to the main boards and saying it. If I think Rielly is going to win the Norris, I'm going to the main boards and letting people know my opinion. What's the point in having an opinion if you're not allowed to be heard? The fact that it may inconvenience some people is not my concern as they choose to let it inconvenience them.
The inconvenience comes from not being able to post shit on the main boards about the Leafs because people like you. Can't have a discussion about anything Leaf on the main boards without the thread getting locked of half the comments being about how it should be on the Leafs board because people start Leaf threads over there at the first idiotic idea that crosses their mind. An opinion is an opinion, it doesn't mean shitty opinions don't exist and some people are way to vocal and frequent in yelling out their shitty opinion at the top of their lungs. Like come on " Does boston even stand a chance against the Leafs?" It's shit like that... Yeah, the shit disturbers don't care, they aren't the ones interested in actually having a conversation, they just want to be as loud and annoying as possible.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The Maple Leafs are the most polarizing hockey team in the history of the world. We have both the most fans of any team and the most haters of any team. We are the largest city in the greatest hockey country the world has ever and will ever know.

Southern Ontario is home to roughly 13 million people, in other words nearly 40% of all Canadians live in what is considered to be Leafsland, as a result the media in this country puts the overwhelmingly majority of its focus on the Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, TFC etc etc. Its business, its $$$, it makes sense. But boy does it piss off everyone else that the Leafs get more attention than they do.

In many ways its more than just hatred of the Leafs, its bitterness from the rest of Canada who can't stand that Toronto is the only city in this country to have pro teams in the MLB and NBA.

If Calgary for example was Canada's largest city with nearly 40% of Canada's population in its surrounding region and it was the only Canadian team with teams in the NBA and MLB they'd get the most attention too.

Reactions: Confucius

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The inconvenience comes from not being able to post **** on the main boards about the Leafs because people like you. Can't have a discussion about anything Leaf on the main boards without the thread getting locked of half the comments being about how it should be on the Leafs board because people start Leaf threads over there at the first idiotic idea that crosses their mind. An opinion is an opinion, it doesn't mean ****ty opinions don't exist and some people are way to vocal and frequent in yelling out their ****ty opinion at the top of their lungs. Like come on " Does boston even stand a chance against the Leafs?" It's **** like that... Yeah, the **** disturbers don't care, they aren't the ones interested in actually having a conversation, they just want to be as loud and annoying as possible.
The other side is there are those kind of people on the main boards posting stuff things that will bait Leafs fans into replying and starting another fight between fan bases. For example you know who started a thread about Mathew Barzal reaching 70 points in 70 games played. We all know he's having a great rookie season and a few replies down was a reply about Matthews and how he had only 69 points his rookie season and a few replies about him after that. Instead of replying myself to those comments I reported the original one that started it and they were all deleted.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They get the most media attention despite having one of the biggest fan base in the league so people like to moan that there sick of them. People hate Crosby for same reasons.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
The truth is that all other fans come to our board to read our posts. They follow all hockey news on TSN and in fact probably know more about the Leafs than their own team.

The hate is real; but with great success comes more hate.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When all is said and done, who gives a shit a Sabres, Sens or Habs fan hates a Leaf fan. Too funny if somebody is losing sleep over it. Bring on the hate, Leafs are the only team that matters if the rest don't understand that, it's their loss. :laugh:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The Maple Leafs are the most polarizing hockey team in the history of the world. We have both the most fans of any team and the most haters of any team. We are the largest city in the greatest hockey country the world has ever and will ever know.

Southern Ontario is home to roughly 13 million people, in other words nearly 40% of all Canadians live in what is considered to be Leafsland, as a result the media in this country puts the overwhelmingly majority of its focus on the Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, TFC etc etc. Its business, its $$$, it makes sense. But boy does it piss off everyone else that the Leafs get more attention than they do.

In many ways its more than just hatred of the Leafs, its bitterness from the rest of Canada who can't stand that Toronto is the only city in this country to have pro teams in the MLB and NBA.

If Calgary for example was Canada's largest city with nearly 40% of Canada's population in its surrounding region and it was the only Canadian team with teams in the NBA and MLB they'd get the most attention too.

You must be from Toronto.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You must be from Toronto.

I am sure not ALL Canadians feel a bitterness that Toronto is the only city with teams in various major leagues. But at the same time I don't think you can deny many feel that way.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

At the same time, why should we be the ones that have to ask to take step back because of this. I'll bet you 10-1, that if we decided to
do this, nothing else would change. No one is to break out the humility, if we cut down. As for over-exuberant posts-forget them, we all know what they're worth. Maybe a bit fun to wade into them, you could be completely wrong in your support/denigration. Just have fun.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
At the same time, why should we be the ones that have to ask to take step back because of this. I'll bet you 10-1, that if we decided to
do this, nothing else would change. No one is to break out the humility, if we cut down. As for over-exuberant posts-forget them, we all know what they're worth. Maybe a bit fun to wade into them, you could be completely wrong in your support/denigration. Just have fun.
You don't have to take a step back, just stop instigating things, like arguing with Hab fans on their own board for instance...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is how i see it -

You have a franchise that makes zero sense. They have done nothing for 50 years and yet still they are the team that drives the needle. It doesn't matter what Forbes says re: valuable franchises, or what the NHL thinks the darlings of the league should be . this franchise drives everything. If you wanna be talked about - link it to Toronto. If you want action - do it playing Toronto. The are the Evil Empire, but literally had no bite. like. Imagine being a franchise in the league and you never have to advertise on television about this team. you don't have to market the stars, because everyone KNOWS already.

No matter where the game, you have 50% Leafs fans minimum. For some teams, you don't even have home ice advantage, because when you score, you get booed.

And they sucked. so it never. ever made sense.

And now... now there is actual substance behind all that passion. which actually justifies everything... and it makes it worse. because before you could chirp how much the leafs suck, and had no future, had no real legit talent, were dysfunctional, and the passion was a salve to make us numb to the fact that that's all we had. Hope.

Now hope has a name, has two friends, is coached by someone awesome, has a great goalie in net behind him, and has a chance to end a drought and make this franchise really amazing.

and everyone knows it, can't accept it.

so thus. eat the hate sundae, and enjoy the ride.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
this is how i see it -

You have a franchise that makes zero sense. They have done nothing for 50 years and yet still they are the team that drives the needle. It doesn't matter what Forbes says re: valuable franchises, or what the NHL thinks the darlings of the league should be . this franchise drives everything. If you wanna be talked about - link it to Toronto. If you want action - do it playing Toronto. The are the Evil Empire, but literally had no bite. like. Imagine being a franchise in the league and you never have to advertise on television about this team. you don't have to market the stars, because everyone KNOWS already.

No matter where the game, you have 50% Leafs fans minimum. For some teams, you don't even have home ice advantage, because when you score, you get booed.

And they sucked. so it never. ever made sense.

And now... now there is actual substance behind all that passion. which actually justifies everything... and it makes it worse. because before you could chirp how much the leafs suck, and had no future, had no real legit talent, were dysfunctional, and the passion was a salve to make us numb to the fact that that's all we had. Hope.

Now hope has a name, has two friends, is coached by someone awesome, has a great goalie in net behind him, and has a chance to end a drought and make this franchise really amazing.

and everyone knows it, can't accept it.

so thus. eat the hate sundae, and enjoy the ride.

Are you trying to tell me, Daisy, that you honestly believe that wherever the Leafs play in the NHL, over 50% of the fans in attendance are Leaf fans? Really? Really? Wow.

:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->