Why does Crosby get an assist on this goal?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I pointed out earlier in the thread the NHL offices go over all goals and will change assists a day or 2 after the fact. I seen it happen a couple times where they took points away from Islanders that I remember them having after a game(and this was the year Tavares was fighting for the Art Ross so I get a very close eye at the stats).

In terms of why players get more points at home, it's easier for coaches to get favorable matchups for their players at home

You responded in far less time than it would have taken you to read the article.

So you didn't read the article and therefore I don't know what you are responding to.

Thanks for mindlessly repeating yourself though, I guess.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The thread should get directed toward the downfall of the secondary assist, in general.

I’m not an advocate for getting rid of it, but secondary assists are quite frequently credited to players who really didn’t do anything to create the goal, just by the nature of the play (and not by any sort of favoritism).

That fact alone makes this “debate” a little silly. The secondary assist, by nature, is often an unearned point depending on the specific play.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
The thread should get directed toward the downfall of the secondary assist, in general.

I’m not an advocate for getting rid of it, but secondary assists are quite frequently credited to players who really didn’t do anything to create the goal, just by the nature of the play (and not by any sort of favoritism).

That fact alone makes this “debate” a little silly. The secondary assist, by nature, is often an unearned point depending on the specific play.

I will go ahead and disagree with you and say that on HF, secondary assists are underrated if anything.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I will go ahead and disagree with you and say that on HF, secondary assists are underrated if anything.

In my opinion - secondary assists, as an entire concept, can’t really be overrated or underrated. Sometimes, that is the guy who starts everything and other times...it’s just the guy who happened to be at the other end of the rink that made a 3 foot pass to the speedster streaking up the wing. Other times, it’s just dumb luck.

You can say this for goals, primary assists and secondary assists, but I’d say the “accidental” point is most frequent with the guy furthest down the line on the score sheet.

Again...not trying to discredit the system as a whole. Just that secondary assists, by nature, can be awarded to players who had very little to no impact on the goal. So, how much of a point is there really in debating whether or not something is a secondary assist considering that it being dumb luck in a normal situation is not at all rare?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
In my opinion - secondary assists, as an entire concept, can’t really be overrated or underrated. Sometimes, that is the guy who starts everything and other times...it’s just the guy who happened to be at the other end of the rink that made a 3 foot pass to the speedster streaking up the wing. Other times, it’s just dumb luck.

You can say this for goals, primary assists and secondary assists, but I’d say the “accidental” point is most frequent with the guy furthest down the line on the score sheet.

Again...not trying to discredit the system as a whole. Just that secondary assists, by nature, can be awarded to players who had very little to no impact on the goal. So, how much of a point is there really in debating whether or not something is a secondary assist considering that it being dumb luck in a normal situation is not at all rare?
I'd say most of the time it's keeping a play alive in the offensive zone or a breakout from the defensive zone. Getting rid of the secondary assist is a bad idea imo as it will just promote more selfish play to ensure they get the point. There was never a debate about secondary assists until Ovy fans became salty that he wasn't as good of a point producer.

Reactions: pi314

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Let the record show that a bunch of people who don't like Crosby don't think he deserves the Conn Smythe or any assists. Hopefully the Penguins org will be able to pay Gary Bettman enough to make sure none of this ends up in his Hall of Fame exhibit.

There's no denying he robbed kessel on the highway for that smythe

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

ah yes. the 538 hockey section. everyone knows thats where you go for the facts.

Like this one. The crux of their article is the fact that crosby had the 7th highest home/road secondary assist split. like wtf is that?

"Crosby has recorded 150 second assists at home and only 112 on the road, a 38-helper difference that ranks seventh in the NHL since 2005-06."

wow. just wow. now heres an interesting thought.........maybe he can get better match-ups at home.

heres a fun one. Ovechkin has 314 goals at home and 301 goals on the road. i propose that his home stat keepers are feeding him goals.

Reactions: jbobell98 and pi314

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
ah yes. the 538 hockey section. everyone knows thats where you go for the facts.

Like this one. The crux of their article is based around the fact that crosby had the 7th highest home/road secondary assist split. like wtf is that?

"Crosby has recorded 150 second assists at home and only 112 on the road, a 38-helper difference that ranks seventh in the NHL since 2005-06."

wow. just wow. now heres an interesting thought.........maybe he can get better match-ups at home.

heres a fun one. Ovechkin has 314 goals at home and 301 goals on the road. i propose that his home stat keepers are feeding him goals.

If your theory on match-ups were true (that match-ups created by away-ice disadvantage alone can result in a 34% variance), it would apply to virtually every top line player.

That is far from the case.

Crosby has a 34% variance. Ovechkin's 4% variance isn't remotely similar.

Your theory also does not explain the substantial variances from arena to arena.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
If your theory on match-ups were true (that match-ups created by away-ice disadvantage alone can result in a 34% variance), it would apply to virtually every top line player.

Your theory also does not explain the substantial variances from arena to arena.

my theory isnt that match-ups created anything. my theory is there are a multitude of factors that can contribute to having 38 more assists at home vs on the road over a 800+ game career. Those 38 assists account for what 5% of his total assists and 3.3% of his career points. There is nothing statistically significant in that article nor in your posts.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Sometimes a player might get a 2nd assist that's not really earned but generally over a long timeline (like a whole season) players that get a lot of assists (even secondary ones) are generally good players that handle the puck a lot and make good decisions with it.

Sometimes players score a goal that isn't really earned, like an easy tap-in or the puck going off their backside, but I wouldn't want to see them award goals to anyone other than the last guy that touched it. It balances out.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
There's no denying he robbed kessel on the highway for that smythe
It is amazing how 2016 CS keeps getting brought up where Kessel had 3 more points yet those same people are so quiet with Ovechkin's CS win where Kuznetsov scored more timely and important goals, and had 5 more points (!) than Ovechkin.

Quite the double standard indeed.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
my theory isnt that match-ups created anything. my theory is there are a multitude of factors that can contribute to having 38 more assists at home vs on the road over a 800+ game career.

If that were the case, it would apply to everyone else - and not just the guys (like Crosby) who play in arenas where more secondary assists are given.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It is amazing how 2016 CS keeps getting brought up where Kessel had 3 more points yet those same people are so quiet with Ovechkin's CS win where Kuznetsov scored more timely and important goals, and had 5 more points (!) than Ovechkin.

Ovechkin's points were more timely than Kuznetsov's actually. I know you probably blocked out the memories but Ovechkin was in on 3 game winning goals against Pittsburgh - back breaking plays late in games. Kuz had 1.

Don't worry I'll post the videos later to help you remember.

And Ovechkin had more goals than Kuz whereas Crosby had fewer points and goals than Kessel.

But the real player who got screwed over for Crosby was Logan Couture - who was superior to Crosby in every conceivable way.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to block just specific words on this website.

"secondary assist"

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
LOL well this thread got off topic quick. Again, this is not a Crosby thread it is a rules thread. It could be about any player. Seems like the consensus is that it is a good assist. That is all I was asking.

Reactions: Old Gregg

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

why don't we dig deeper than matchups? As a center, Sid gets the home team benefit of putting his stick down last. I wouldn't be surprised if his home FO% is much better than his road FO% (can't find a way to sort home/road FO on NHL.com). Even still, he's had 7 seasons with an offensive zone FO% of 54% or higher, home and road. If winning a faceoff in the offensive zone leads to a goal, chances are Sid won't be getting a primary assist (he doesn't run plays similar to what Malkin and Neal used to do). Regardless, plays like his faceoff win to Letang which led to Sheary's OT goal in the 16 finals is where he, as a center, can accumulate secondary assists at home.

Also, look at the fact that the Penguins PP has historically been better at home than on the road (situations where it's likely Sid will get a point). Notably in 16-17 they sported a 26.5 home PP% and only 19.5 on the road. As primarily a playmaker and puck distributor...again, more opportunity for assists

Edit: Funny how in that article, the players called out besides Subban are Centers

Last edited:

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton

Kuzy should of most likely imo, Kessel waa timely with his goals and points, dude hit another level that year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad