Why does Crosby get an assist on this goal?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I know I know Caps fan posting about Crosby. Ignore who it is about. I am just curious if this type of play counts as an assist. Skip to 1:21 of the video

Looks like Eberle knocks it off Crosby's stick into the slot. Is it because Eberle did not possess the puck for long enough so it is ruled a deflection?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fish never possessed the puck, Crosby was last to touch it. And he influenced the goal by gaining Gretzky's office and manipulating the defense. I don't see an issue here.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
most likely due to time of possession of the puck. E never really had it so it was most likely ruled a deflection or "own goal" imo

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Its not rocket science Eberle never had possession. Its like when a player shoots low pad and his linemate pots in the rebound.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Its not rocket science Eberle never had possession. Its like when a player shoots low pad and his linemate pots in the rebound.

I get that, but I feel like I have seen similar plays which did not result in an assist. Must be a judgement call for the scorekeeper.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Eberle never posessed the puck, he just swung his stick and happened to get the puck with it. Not even enough to stop a delayed penalty...

Reactions: zaqq

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Seriously? Just let it go; it's a fair assist.

And now the anti-Crosby knuckleheads will flock to this this thread, like flies to ****, blathering on about "secondary assists" and "undeserved Conn Smythes". Oh, wait... that's already happened.

Maybe, if everything goes right for Sid this year, he too can put up a bunch of points at the end of the regular season, during Mickey Mouse time, and take off early to play golf in April. Then he'll be on your "boi" McDavid's level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad