Why does Crosby get an assist on this goal?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
That's just how assists are awarded (via meaningful possession, not by incidental contact), it's dumb sometimes but it's not favoring Crosby.

Reactions: zaqq

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know I know Caps fan posting about Crosby. Ignore who it is about. I am just curious if this type of play counts as an assist. Skip to 1:21 of the video

Looks like Eberle knocks it off Crosby's stick into the slot. Is it because Eberle did not possess the puck for long enough so it is ruled a deflection?

you answered your own question didn't you?

Eberele didn't have possession, he knocked it out and it went to another player. That happens quite often, but when it happens to Crosby, that's when threads are created for a narrative that doesn't exist.

That's just how assists are awarded (via meaningful possession, not by incidental contact), it's dumb sometimes but it's not favoring Crosby.

How dare you bring logic to a place that predicates on Crosby hate!?!

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Not much question about that, the Islander player never had the puck, he just batted it away and to the wrong team.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Wow Ben, you are really making a name for yourself by picking the low hanging Crosby critique fruit. It is interesting that you never seem to want to answer posts that detail why he was a deserving Smythe candidate. I guess it is more important for you to get those likes eh?

33uewz6.jpg

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Stars make the league money. Crosby has been the poster boy this last decade, ofc he will get phantom assists.

There was a thread last year, or the year before that, where people posted phantom assists and there was a couple for both Crosby and Mcdavid.

I still think this applies to more stars around the league to various extent.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I get that, but I feel like I have seen similar plays which did not result in an assist. Must be a judgement call for the scorekeeper.

that would be the ref, NOT the scorekeeper. scorekeepers write down what the ref tells them. the league goes back later and reviews to confirm but goals and assists are the ref's call. even scorekeeping beer league games I get guys complaining that I "didn't give" them their assist.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I get that, but I feel like I have seen similar plays which did not result in an assist. Must be a judgement call for the scorekeeper.

yeah it probably happened to the caps. its really unfair how they are treated. i imagine crosby has had 1000's of extra assists over the year and the ovi is probably missing about 1000 too from not getting these calls awarded.

Reactions: jbobell98

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I actually don't think Crosby should get an assist on that goal, but I have no problems with the NHL crediting him with one on that play.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Do we really have a thread about a Sidney Crosby assist? lol.

Reactions: pi314

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You realize the league reviews these plays and subtracts assists right? Same with deflection goals.

I believe the NHL reviews goals scored to hand out goals and assists. I seen a few times in the past where they took a point of a player a few days later(usually a secondary assist)

that would be the ref, NOT the scorekeeper. scorekeepers write down what the ref tells them. the league goes back later and reviews to confirm but goals and assists are the ref's call. even scorekeeping beer league games I get guys complaining that I "didn't give" them their assist.

If the league was as vigilant as you imply, there wouldn't be statistically significant variances that are objectively demonstrable in how assists are awarded from team to team:

Some NHL Stars Get More Assists At Home Than They Deserve

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I pointed out earlier in the thread the NHL offices go over all goals and will change assists a day or 2 after the fact. I seen it happen a couple times where they took points away from Islanders that I remember them having after a game(and this was the year Tavares was fighting for the Art Ross so I get a very close eye at the stats).

In terms of why players get more points at home, it's easier for coaches to get favorable matchups for their players at home

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
What's the rules for assist?

I thought Galchenyuk deserved an assist on that play.

Obviously he never had control but created a turnoyer for Panik.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Seriously? Just let it go; it's a fair assist.

And now the anti-Crosby knuckleheads will flock to this this thread, like flies to ****, blathering on about "secondary assists" and "undeserved Conn Smythes". Oh, wait... that's already happened.

Maybe, if everything goes right for Sid this year, he too can put up a bunch of points at the end of the regular season, during Mickey Mouse time, and take off early to play golf in April. Then he'll be on your "boi" McDavid's level.

This is a somewhat ironic post considering this is by far the most scathing post here. Everyone seems to be agreeing that it’s a secondary assist.

Seems like you got a problem with McDavid, though? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad