Why do the Sharks suck at home?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes the san jose fans do suck. Move the team to ottawa better and more shark fans here then in san jose any ways.

There's like three Sharks fans in Ottawa... :laugh:

Me, some dude I saw the other day with a Sharks toque, and some other dude that came into my work one day.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
No energy. The building is barely 2/3rds full every night and isn't as loud as it used to be.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No energy. The building is barely 2/3rds full every night and isn't as loud as it used to be.

Well, you miss the playoffs and the people tend to stay away. Players and team have to earn those sellouts with good performances. It'll pick up naturally in the tail end of the season anyway.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I haven't watched much hockey lately. Is DoBoer getting destroyed in picking matchups even though he gets the last change?

I don't think that's it, especially after last game. I want to say it's mostly of an execution thing. He makes some weird matchup decisions like throwing on the 4th line after goals for though. I think we're also suffering from some depth issues here. Thornton's not performing like we know he can so it makes the 1st line less threatening. The 3rd line is basically a Hertl show but he can't do it alone. I like Nieto but he should be in a primarily checking role IMO. I'm not a huge fan of Wingels but he did alright last game. I think the 2nd line was a no show last game.

So it's basically our top 3 lines are underperforming in different ways IMO which is bad.

Not to mention what's going on with the defense.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
No energy.

I forget what Baker said last night, but something about being scored on first in all of their home losses. Going down 1-0 in an already quiet arena doesn't give the team much to play for.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
More distractions at home + a lack of professionalism and maybe too relaxed. The wives and girlfriends need to withhold nookie unless the effort is there. Then maybe they'll get grumpy/agitated causing them to be more aggressive and wanting to take their frustrations out on the opposition.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
No energy.

I forget what Baker said last night, but something about being scored on first in all of their home losses. Going down 1-0 in an already quiet arena doesn't give the team much to play for.

That's a cop-out though... the fans are tired of paying good money to see their team play sub-standard--this has been going for over a year now.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Sharks were just recently at the top of the Pacific Division. Quit using poor play as an excuse, they're a fine team.

darrent737

Dec 3, 2014
Going off the no energy part, what do you all think of the new goal song at this point?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Sharks were just recently at the top of the Pacific Division. Quit using poor play as an excuse, they're a fine team.

Topic isn't "why do the Sharks suck?", it is "why do the Sharks suck at home?"

Also wanted to mention...we've been agonizing over players who haven't played up to expectations; Wingels, Nieto, Tierney, Tennyson, Mueller....

But how about one guy who has far and away exceeded expectations: Joel Ward. He's been great. There is a legitimate question as to whether he should be on the first PP unit. He's been excellent on the second line, and a good PKer.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
My brother went to the last Anaheim game. Bought a hot dog for his kid, but couldn't find any ketchup. No ketchup... anywhere... at the SAP Center.

That's the problem.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, the Sharks are doing exactly what they need to do to relocate like the plan stated.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Attendance tends to lag behind in terms of when people come out. In America, the tendency is that if you miss the playoffs, attendance sags the next year regardless of the results real-time until closer to playoff time if you're in it. The 2003-04 team didn't sell out and that was a quality team as well. It takes time but if the team plays well enough to be a playoff team, the fans will show up in the 2nd half of the year and then likely most or all of next year.

But attendance, regardless of what it is, is not an excuse for the team to suck at home. Whatever the atmosphere is, is not an excuse for the team to suck at home. The Coyotes have long had attendance issues and that hasn't stopped them from being good in some years.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Why are the Sharks so good on the road so far?

Have played quite a few back to backs, and have missed Martin and Couture in quite a few of them. Is the system different on the road? Do they play tighter? What is it?

Haha. Honestly didn't see the other thread. Delete or merge.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Going off the no energy part, what do you all think of the new goal song at this point?

I kind of wish they brought back Green Day's Holiday, but that probably also doesn't work as a goal song. I can barely hear this one other than the hay parts but then it's plastered all over the arena.

I would say as pregame, just play the goal song with no one there and turn it up. Then people might hear it better.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It sucked in 06-07 when they changed it and it's even worse now. Just keep the original. Same can be said for the jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad