why do people say Crosby isn't flashy?

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Crosby is the best 'grinder' in the league. But his style of play is not as flashy as other stars because he plays more grinder hockey

Ex. Nathan Mackinnon you know when hes making a play , his choppy skating and just blazing through everyone

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
Crosby is a grinder. He is a solid player all around but doesn't excel in one particular skill over his peers. This makes him not as flashy as someone like McDavid.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
he seems to score highlight reel goals all the time, constantly topping himself week after week with jaw dropping plays

yet people say he isn't flashy, what the hell is flashy if he isn't flashy?

He doesn't strike me as the flashy type. He strikes me as good.

When I think of flashy, I think of guys like Pavel Bure.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
He's not flashy in the conventional sense. He doesn't toe drag and dangle guys off the rush anymore. His flash comes in the incredibly difficult little plays that don't stand out to a casual viewer: The seamless skate to stick kicks in transition, the deflections, the power moves and edge work. Every now and then he scores a baseball goal or a one handed shot like in Buffalo. But most of the beauty of his game comes from the little plays.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I guess I keep coming back to the thought “who the hell cares”.

He’s undeniably one of the best to play the game — and will have that legacy forever.

I don’t recall anyone getting their panties in a twist regarding how Gretzky’s style of play was described.

It’s like getting upset that someone says Patrick Roy was a better goaltender than Crosby. How dare someone say that????

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I guess I keep coming back to the thought “who the hell cares”.

He’s undeniably one of the best to play the game — and will have that legacy forever.

I don’t recall anyone getting their panties in a twist regarding how Gretzky’s style of play was described.

It’s like getting upset that someone says Patrick Roy was a better goaltender than Crosby. How dare someone say that????

When I think of Gretz I think someone that seemed to know all the glitch passes and goals in an NHL video game, he just made it look that easy. Mario and Jagr were masters of deking and flash in there prime. OV was the 1x master for his.

Sid has always had the skill, but he plays a gritty game too. Sid just outworks you and with his skill he puts up crazy points. It takes someone on his level of work ethic and close in skill like Bergeron to really stop him.

I guess Sid doesn't have that one wow thing, he's just awesome at everything.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He makes high quality plays but he also plays like a grinder and has a dull personality. It's not black and white.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
When I think of Gretz I think someone that seemed to know all the glitch passes and goals in an NHL video game, he just made it look that easy. Mario and Jagr were masters of deking and flash in there prime. OV was the 1x master for his.

Sid has always had the skill, but he plays a gritty game too. Sid just outworks you and with his skill he puts up crazy points. It takes someone on his level of work ethic and close in skill like Bergeron to really stop him.

I guess Sid doesn't have that one wow thing, he's just awesome at everything.
Agreed on all of this.

The truly greats often seem to have that ability to “see” the game in slower motion than others.

I suspect strongly that Crosby is confident enough to care not one bit about how his style of play is described. Being one of the best to play the game, I suspect, is just fine.

Some fans though just aren’t happy with “one of the best to play”. As if no one agreeing he is “flashiest of all time” is some sort of slight.

Interesting discussion here about the style of some of the greats. Although this is a generally ridiculous thread, I guess it’s nice that some good can come out of silliness.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016

he could've been if he wanted to be, goaltending is in his blood but why play goalie when you have all that flash?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
An 18-20 year Crosby was the definition of flashy lol. After his ankle sprain and even more so sfrer his concussion he toned his game down.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
he seems to score highlight reel goals all the time, constantly topping himself week after week with jaw dropping plays

yet people say he isn't flashy, what the hell is flashy if he isn't flashy?

Flashy is what you make of it. To me, it's dangling guys while rushing up the ice on a consistent basis. It's about jaw dropping dekes, and spinoramas....things of that nature.

Crosby is incredibly clinical, but I would not qualify him as super flashy. Kovalev, and datsyuk are names that come to mind right away when I think of that term.

But again, the term is whatever you want to make of it.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4